Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 10:51 PM   #1  

Unhappy Frustrated & Need Support

I'm new to this board and am here because I need some support. I'm 15 lbs lighter thanks to Weight Watchers BUT after 9 weeks I seem to be totally off track. I'm eating sugary foods like crazy...and no, I'm not PMSing. I can't seem to get back on track and I'm starting to really get down on myself. Today, I made cookie dough batter and ate it before I even cooked it. I could have just hit myself. I hate this. I need to get back on track but can't seem to get there. Any similar experiences or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thx.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:13 PM   #2  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi Joolz: congrats on your success so far! Good for you!

As far as getting back on track? It takes some work. It takes positive self talk, the kind that keeps reminding you how great you're doing.

It also takes keeping the cookie dough ingredients out of the house. Purge your house of all the junk. Make sure that you take a black magic marker and figure out the points of everything in your pantry and write it on the box so you know before you grab just what it's going to cost you.

Take it one day at a time and don't beat yourself up for little indescretions. Also don't call the whole day off for just one little slip in the morning. That does not mean that the rest of the day needs to go in the crapper, it just means that you have to be even more diligent for the rest of the day.

You can do this. One step (even if it is a baby step) at a time.

Welcome to the boards. That is a very big first step.

Where are you from in Michigan? I'm a Michigander too.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:16 PM   #3  

First of all, you must be congratulated on your weight loss! Remember your accomplishments and forgive your downfalls!

Ok- I may not be much help- I just started yesterday. I went over 6 points yesterday. Usually, I would just give up- I can't stick to a diet- one day and I am done. This time however; I knew I would have to be in it for the long haul. I simply got up this morning and tried again. I didn't beat myself up. I didn't figure that I might as well give up and start over next week. I didn't blame myself. I just did the program. Tonight, I am 4 points under the low end of the points range. I was able to do this because I went to buy groceries today and got prepared. Most of my tempting snacks are now out of the house and I replaced it with healthy stuff. I figure if it's not here, I can't eat it. I also discovered Slim Fast ice cream fudge bars. Absolutely delicious and only 3 points. It satisfies my sweet tooth, chocolate tooth, and ice cream tooth all at the same time. I have also been posting at the July Jaded Ladies on the Support forum. I have made up my mind to be completely honest, and I don't want to have to admit to everyone that I am not OP. Feel free to join us (or any other group that interests you). I think that is going to help me be more honest. Oh... and you need to be brutally honest in your journaling. I sure didn't like what I saw yesterday and it really helped to motivate me today. Good luck and hope to see you around.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:25 PM   #4  

& don't panic! It'll be ok. Stop beating yourself up......good advice. Sometimes when we've been on a strick diet, our bodies start feeling "deprived".

Good advice again.....keep junk food out of the house. Drink a LOT of water!! That helps with carbs a lot. Keep your favorite fruits around. Oh, & I've found NO FAT Brown Cow Fudgecicles! They are great!! You can eat them slow....they really help.

When you find you're losing control....get on you computer & go to posting. Hands on keys....aren't holding food. LOL

Congratulations on the weight loss!! Good luck....let us hear from you.

P.S. I was raised in Detroit, MI
Old 07-16-2003, 07:19 AM   #5  

Kiddo, it happens to the best of us so just let it go and move on and don't even think of it as failure. It just happened.

I find that spacing out my eating over the day is a huge help. I eat about every 3 hours or so. I have a light breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack. Since we live in a condo, I take my butt upstairs after my evening snack and don't bring it back down and as the food is downstairs, I can't eat!

One thing I would really suggest is to journal why you are overeating, eating junk whatever. Writing it down let's you SEE what you are doing wrong so you can work on correcting it. Write down when you are the hungriest every day then plan in a snack for that time every day (I think most people have a time of day like that I sure do), what are you bad habits eating (ie in front of tv while reading, on computer, in the car whatever), what triggers you to eat, stress, anger, sadness, frustration, boredom, etc. Now commit yourself just one per month and work on that one to get rid of it. If you are a tv eater. Take the rest of July and break yourself of eating in front of the tv. Maybe August you should work on let's say boredom eating if you do that and so on. It will go a long way to helping you stay on your program and off the food!

I agree with everyone else, get rid of the high fat junk food, BUT replace with good stuff to snack on! We have to continue to live once we quit dieting and if you take up the habit of eating good lower fat snacks, then you won't go back to the high fat junk stuff!

YOU MUST MAKE PERMANENT LIFESTYLE CHANGES for you to keep your weight off and you can't just overwhelm yourself. That is why I suggested the journaling and the one a month thing. You want to be able to say you are no longer on WW sometime down the road, but you are still eating as if you are and that way of eating is permanent!

If you need support, please join us at Time for Serious Fun! We have a totally upbeat way of looking at the weight loss issues with positive thoughts and lots of fun. Trying to make losing weight a pleasant experience instead of a one of dread!

Good Luck and I know you will succeed!

Faye
Old 07-16-2003, 09:57 AM   #6  

Thank you all for the encouragement. Today is a new day! Cookie dough is gone! I weigh in on Friday. I'm motivated ...slowly. I even went for a long, fast walk and even jogged a bit last night!
I appreciate your comments and I will try to persevere.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:33 AM   #7  

Don't forget to keep us posted!!
Old 07-16-2003, 11:15 AM   #8  

Morning Joolz! I just wanted to give you a kick in the butt this morning! Keep out of the kitchen or I am gonna come after you! And it won't be pretty!

Ok. Just kidding! I just really wanted to play with the icons! Hee! Hee! Congratulations on the exercise! That's a wonderful NSV. Keep up the good work and just take it one step at a time. Have a good day!
Old 07-16-2003, 11:37 AM   #9  

Speaking of Tools - does anyone have a good journal they can recommend? For the past 6 months I was using a pocket size journal I bought AGES ago and then someone gave me a points calculator which I now carry - however, I think I need to go back to writing it all down coz the calc doesn't show you the foods you've entered once you do that...hmmm. tricky
Old 07-16-2003, 01:41 PM   #10  
The ever shrinking woman!

I like fitday.com, there is a section for journal there, and I usually keep track of WW points on there. Plus, it keeps track of calories, etc. so I do those things combined and I like the results I have gotten. See my signature for a sample of my daily entries.

I have the biggest sweet tooth ever, chocolate is my biggest downfall. When people bring around chocolate chip cookies, cookie dough, cheesecake, donuts, etc. I tell them they are dead!

So a few things I usually do when I just HAVE to have something like that:

Blue Bunny health smart ice cream bars. They come in chocolate, and also a orange/raspberry combo, I think. 70 cal, 0 fat. 1.5 WWP.

Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches. 130 cal, 3g fat, 2.5 WWP.

Healthy Choice Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream. (I think) 100 cal, 0 fat. 2 WWP.

and Slim Fast candy bars are pretty good, there is a peanut butter crunch one that is basically a miniature Butterfinger. It does the trick though.. 3 WWP. Not sure of cal/fat.

I have also found that fruit is my thing. I can eat a 1/2 cup of Seneca sugar free applesauce, and it will tide me over for an hour or 2 until lunch. Like GMA said, light snacks between small meals is the very best way to boost metabolism, and make the most of the workouts you do. If you do this, try this method. Do you work ? if so, bring the snacks to work with you, if possible. Put everything you are going to eat in a bag at work, and do not bring extras! If you are doing this at home, try to just put it all in a bag in the fridge together, and try as hard as you can to only eat what's in that bag for that day, no extras!

space that amount of food out throughout the day as best you can to try not to feel too hungry, and if you are going to reward yourself with a low-fat sweet tooth treat, do it before 4 pm.

good luck! you can do it!!!!!
Closed Thread