3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Weight Loss Support

Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Addicted to diet sodas...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2014, 07:32 PM   #31
Never Giving Up
 
Serenity100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NYC suburbs
Posts: 536

S/C/G: Going from chubby to not

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
This is not true. All soda that I am aware of is hydrating.



With respect, unless you isolate all factors than you're just guessing. It's possible but stress is a much greater contributor to water retention than a small amount of added sodium in most people.
Not everything has to be scientific when dealing with one's own body. I know what I know.
__________________
My goal for 2014 is Fifty Pounds in Fifty Weeks began Christmas 2013
Serenity100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:31 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
freelancemomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,058

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReNew Me View Post
Pleasure centers activated by vodka, cocaine, gambling, sex, sugar, tobacco, pain, doesn't matter.
Well, whenever I hear a statement like "research has shown that eating XX activates the same pleasure centres in the brain as cocaine," I think the statement is meaningless unless we know what ELSE activates (or doesn't activate) those pleasure centres. Maybe petting the dog or listening to soothing music or swimming in a warm ocean or having a great conversation with a friend also activates the pleasure centres. Does that mean all these activities are addictive, or just pleasurable?

F.
__________________
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:20 AM   #33
Warrior Princess
 
novangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,594

S/C/G: 155/138/140

Height: 5' 5.5"

Default

I also would take prime rib over a huge piece of chocolate cake ANY day.

In the end I will always be against soda more so for what it does to your teeth than all the controversy about artificial sweeteners. That stuff never did anything for me anyway..perhaps because I have zero sweet cravings.

I'd say ditch it for your dental health more than weight concerns.
__________________



novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:48 AM   #34
Haven't quit yet!
 
Radiojane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 2,224

S/C/G: 485/372.4/200

Height: 6'0

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity100 View Post
Not everything has to be scientific when dealing with one's own body. I know what I know.
Very true. All the science in the world can't tell you how you will react to any specific thing.
__________________
I have come way too far to quit now!


2014 Reboot!
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:48 PM   #35
Junior Member
 
circa83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: VA
Posts: 28

S/C/G: 227/183.6/130

Height: 5' 3"

Default

I was surprised at how easily I kicked my soda habit. I used to have at least 1 can or bottle of pepsi, dr. pepper, or cherry coke daily. I weened myself off of them by simply not buying them. This year I haven't really been wanting any. The fact that soda, diet or otherwise, is man-made and lacking in nutrition is enough to figure it's not beneficial even if our bodies can tolerate it. Since I heard that thirst is for water and hunger is for nutrients I haven't seen much point in drinking soda anymore.
__________________
circa83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:13 PM   #36
Love Thyself
 
moonkissed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Western NY
Posts: 494

S/C/G: 231/207.6/165

Height: 5'7"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
@Renew,

I'm not disagreeing with you that oreos cause a pleasure sensation in the brain, and that this can cause compulsive behavior. I disagree with the idea that eating an oreo produces the same amount of pleasure as a hit of cocaine. Oreos and cocaine are not in the same ballpark when it comes to addictive potential. They've done tests on animals and time after time it's been shown that animals will prefer drugs of addiction over food. A cocaine addicted chimpanzee will forgo everything- food, water, and the company of other chimps to get more cocaine.

You simply don't see people prostituting themselves in the streets to get one more oreo. Let's also not forget that drugs of abuse can cause horrendous withdrawals. Whether or not people can become addicted to oreos, they aren't going to die if they withdraw from them. People have died withdrawing from alcohol and heroine. So no, all addictions are not equal. You don't see overweight people shooting each other over a girl scout cookie deal gone bad. There's no support for your argument in the laboratory or in real life situations.
I think you are correct that not all addictions are the same. But perhaps instead of comparing it to hard drugs maybe see it similar to smoking or alcohol? I have never seen people shooting each other over getting a cigarette or beer either lol But they both can be real addictions.

Before I smoked I rarely drank pop. Afterward I quit I started drinking it alot! I remember quitting smoking and having withdrawls & the just complete suckitude of it lol And if I got without having a soda it can be a very similar feeling.


I love my diet dr pepper so much. The amount of calories I save from normal soda is insane. I am not quite sold on the articles that it is so bad but it surely is not good for me. It always kind of reminds me of the black sludge stuff from the movie ferngully. lol. And it is sooo bad for your teeth!

I am trying to cut back. Drinking more water is better. Slowly just weed myself down to a few a week would be much better.
__________________
(`v)
`*..* ♥ Life is a journey,
..*) .*) not a destination ♥

"A year from now you'll be glad you started today."
My Food TrackerMy New Diet Journal

1= for every 10lbs lost

moonkissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:25 PM   #37
Junior Member
 
RareandUnknown931319's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Michigan, Lake
Posts: 27

S/C/G: 223/195/140

Height: 5'4

Default

MauiKai is right, there is huge amounts of sugar and aspartame in diet sodas. Aspartame has the same effect as cigarettes with nicotine. So your basically drinking nicotine in a soda. I quit cold turkey too. I now drink water (alot) or Powerade, its calorie free, no aspartame, and it fills you up, also it is really good for you. Hope this helps you kick the heck out of the diet soda obsession.
RareandUnknown931319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:28 PM   #38
Haven't quit yet!
 
Radiojane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 2,224

S/C/G: 485/372.4/200

Height: 6'0

Default

Please be very careful taking in too much of any electrolyte sport drink like powerade. Keep in mind that they're designed to rehydrate athletes after strenuous exercise and even low and no calorie versions can mess with homeostasis.
__________________
I have come way too far to quit now!


2014 Reboot!
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:50 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
CherryPie99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northern NY
Posts: 1,922

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Default

I was addicted to Mountain Dew - real, not diet. That (and all soda) is the ONLY thing that I have made completely off limits. I had my last soda in May of 2010. And do you know that of EVERYTHING that I've given up or changed it is my sweet lovely Mountain Dew that I miss terribly!

Jen
__________________




"I'm through accepting limits, cause someone says they're so. Some things I cannot change but 'til I try I'll never know!" ~ Wicked ~

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and said 'I just don't care!'" ~ Pink ~

http://jenhudsonmosher.blogspot.com/

My goal reached thread http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/goal...ncers-say.html
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:41 PM   #40
Lifelong Alaskan!
 
alaskanlaughter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Juneau, Alaska
Posts: 2,545

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RareandUnknown931319 View Post
MauiKai is right, there is huge amounts of sugar and aspartame in diet sodas. Aspartame has the same effect as cigarettes with nicotine. So your basically drinking nicotine in a soda. I quit cold turkey too. I now drink water (alot) or Powerade, its calorie free, no aspartame, and it fills you up, also it is really good for you. Hope this helps you kick the heck out of the diet soda obsession.
Are there studies out there that back this up? I'm not so sure about that....
__________________
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:55 PM   #41
Aloha nui loa
 
MauiKai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 780

S/C/G: 181/TKR/148

Height: 6'1"

Default

http://www.rodalenews.com/facts-abou...ReadingAboutIt
__________________




"Giving up because of one setback is like slashing your other 3 tires because you got a flat."
"If you don't sacrifice for what you want, what you want becomes the sacrifice"
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:58 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 431

S/C/G: 420/338/160

Height: 5'9"

Default

A click through slideshow of pictures with very brief synopses of research (which aren't linked to the original studies) attached is not compelling evidence for an argument for or against drinking diet sodas.
__________________
"Things are as they are. Looking out into it the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations." - Alan Watts
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:17 PM   #43
Aloha nui loa
 
MauiKai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 780

S/C/G: 181/TKR/148

Height: 6'1"

Default

Depends on who you ask. The research is out there, if you go look for it.
__________________




"Giving up because of one setback is like slashing your other 3 tires because you got a flat."
"If you don't sacrifice for what you want, what you want becomes the sacrifice"
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:23 AM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2