Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-18-2014, 10:49 AM   #16  
*Shakes fist at regain*

S/C/G: 150ish/ 114 / 109

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars735 View Post
One explanation for yoyo dieting that's helped me, so far anyway, has to do with brain chemistry.
This thread got me thinking about brain chemistry too! It reminded me of how clear, short-term, achievable goals can be incredibly motivating because we get a dopamine hit when reach those goals. The downside though is that dopamine hit feels so good for some of us, that we can easily become obsessed and start pushing the goal higher and higher to keep feeling that sense of accomplishment. Eventually people burn out because they've pushed the level of what feels rewarding to a level too demanding to maintain.

What may help you, carbstart, is picking goals for MFP and your fitbit that you can easily sustain and forbid yourself from bumping them up higher? That way you'd still get to track the days that you've been on plan, so you get a nice visual of your success, but you don't push the requirements for success too high?
crispin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:10 AM   #17  
Losing tiny horses

S/C/G: 173/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispin View Post
This thread got me thinking about brain chemistry too! It reminded me of how clear, short-term, achievable goals can be incredibly motivating because we get a dopamine hit when reach those goals. The downside though is that dopamine hit feels so good for some of us, that we can easily become obsessed and start pushing the goal higher and higher to keep feeling that sense of accomplishment. Eventually people burn out because they've pushed the level of what feels rewarding to a level too demanding to maintain.
You are so right about the dopamine hit! I'm bipolar (type 2) so I'm sure that works against me too. I'm losing weight slower than ever this time. Instead of 2 lbs a week, my goal is 1 lb. I'm even considering switching it to 0.5 lbs.
carbstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:30 AM   #18  
Nutella Girl

S/C/G: 197 / 135 / 140

Height: 5'5''

You guys are stressing me out. I'm unemployed so I can work out every day. I better not get a job with a long commute

Quote:
The downside though is that dopamine hit feels so good for some of us, that we can easily become obsessed and start pushing the goal higher and higher to keep feeling that sense of accomplishment. Eventually people burn out because they've pushed the level of what feels rewarding to a level too demanding to maintain.
I think that's very important. And something I fail at all. the. time.
It's easy to feel proud of finishing the day with an extra 500 cals but if you do it too often, you're messing with your body. It's been difficult for me to accept that- allowing myself a sustainable, gradual weight loss instead of a quick drop that is nearly impossible to maintain.
imperialistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:12 PM   #19  
*Shakes fist at regain*

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbstart View Post
You are so right about the dopamine hit! I'm bipolar (type 2) so I'm sure that works against me too. I'm losing weight slower than ever this time. Instead of 2 lbs a week, my goal is 1 lb. I'm even considering switching it to 0.5 lbs.
I think a slow loss would really help you break the cycle. Good idea!

Being bipolar must make weight loss more challenging. I've read that dopamine is actually what drives us to even be motivated and seek rewards in the first place. So if your dopamine levels fluctuate, that could absolutely trigger you to become super motivated and then not at all. That's why I think a slower pace is such a good fit for you. You'd be changing fewer behaviors so your weight loss would be less vulnerable to dopamine and motivation fluctuations.

Btw: Fwiw, I lost the bulk of my weight at a very slow pace (even less than 0.5/wk, I'm a turtle). That ended about 4 years ago, and I've never regained any of that loss. And that's after having a few of my own quick losses and regains in the past, so I'm personally really pleased with the results of a slow loss. (I did, however, then lose another 15 pounds at a quick pace, and after two years had one minor regain with that part of the loss.)

Last edited by crispin; 02-20-2014 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:30 PM   #20  
*Shakes fist at regain*

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialistic View Post
It's easy to feel proud of finishing the day with an extra 500 cals but if you do it too often, you're messing with your body. It's been difficult for me to accept that- allowing myself a sustainable, gradual weight loss instead of a quick drop that is nearly impossible to maintain.
I hear ya. It can be a head trip to go from short-term to long-term thinking.

I read your "goal" post. Congrats! You sound like you're doing really well to me! I could relate to a lot of your weight loss strategies too, especially the tea. I guzzle it. Are you aiming to lose more?
Old 02-21-2014, 04:16 AM   #21  
Nutella Girl

Thanks Crispin Well, my goal at the end of the last year was to get healthier- physically and mentally- so I was working towards that but then I went away for a few months, stopped eating correctly, stopped working out, gained some weight.. and now I'm just trying to lose enough to get back to 0 so I can start my 'better self' training again.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:31 AM   #22  
Don't Stop Believing!!!!

S/C/G: 222/Ticker/150

Height: 5'5 1/2

So this is the first I have heard of the Fitbit. I just looked it up and did some research, and I really want the Fitbit force. I know there are some that are for and against it, but It looks great. I also think it will be a great motivator for myself!

donijo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:46 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by donijo23 View Post
So this is the first I have heard of the Fitbit. I just looked it up and did some research, and I really want the Fitbit force. I know there are some that are for and against it, but It looks great. I also think it will be a great motivator for myself!

Definitely go for it I love my fitbit! But I like to wear jewelry and can't stand the thought of that ugly thing on my wrist hehe. I have the fit bit One and it's great, I tuck it into my bra and never have to think about it all day or show it to anyone.

Although if you are wearing the Force then it could be really easy to fool people when they ask you what the heck that thing is. You can say "I'm on parole, this ensures the government can find me at any time" lol!!

Last edited by Palestrina; 02-21-2014 at 08:47 AM.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:48 AM   #24  
*Shakes fist at regain*

imperialistic - S/t similar happened to me. Last year I started a new grad program, and my lifestyle changed a lot. I ended up putting on about 8 pounds. Although in the past I had been pretty patient with weight loss, I was so annoyed with having snug clothes and needing to drop weight that I'd already dropped, that I started to feel frustrated and impatient. Then I just got too busy to care much about the rate it fell off and of course it eventually did. I wish I didn't ever spend time obsessed with the results and just cared the whole time about being on plan. Anyway, my point. I hope you're not feeling frustrated like I was. Feel good about what you have accomplished and know that in time you'll be where you aim to be.

Do you think you regained a little because of some life changes? Or do you think you'd gotten lower than your body wants to be? I actually purposely regained some of my weight loss because I got too low and don't plan on going that low again.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:01 PM   #25  
Nutella Girl

Quote:
Do you think you regained a little because of some life changes? Or do you think you'd gotten lower than your body wants to be? I actually purposely regained some of my weight loss because I got too low and don't plan on going that low again.
My situation is pretty much exactly the same. I went to graduate school and my lifestyle was different. I was away from my treadmill, I was eating different food, didn't have the facilities or resources to cook properly all the time, spent most of my time either studying or doing other relatively sedentary recreational activities... a whole jumble of factors.

As to whether my body weight was too low.. I don't think so. I've never gone lower than 125 lbs (and even then was when I was sick). I think a good range for me is probably around 130 lbs. Anything to high above that and I start feeling bad about myself so, ideally, my point 0- where I want to get back to. I have about 5-6 lbs to go and then I can stop calorie counting and starting the overall improvements.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:30 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/147

Height: 5'8"

Carbstart I think you are my long lost twin. I have the exact same issue. Except mine is a little bit more about vanity (so ashamed!). About 2 months before a vacation I diet and exercise like crazy and count calories obsessively. I track everything on heart rate monitors, fitbit and MFP. Completely and totally obsessed with it all. I lose 10 pounds, come back from vacation, eat miserably and quit exercising and voila! the weight creeps back on. Ugh, so tired of the yoyo dieting. I'm really trying to make this the LAST time I have to do this. It's hard work and not worth it having to lose the same pounds over and over and over. Heres to hoping this time is different!

Last edited by konablue; 02-21-2014 at 06:30 PM.
konablue is offline   Reply With Quote