Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-12-2014, 03:21 PM   #31  

Hi Pattience,

I am mixed (Mauritian and indian) but yes i've heard that there is a tendency for darkened areas. My doctor has done blood tests and told me my only worry really was cholesterol, sugar was controlled, but my weight and cholesterol were immediate concerns. I wonder if they go away with weight loss? He didn't have much of an answer for me except to try creams but primarily losing weight is the reason they start darkening. Thank you for the suggestions, I will look into it. I have a very simple treadmill at home that I will use to walk, it only shows distance and speed, so that should be ok i think.

2jellybelly-My deepest condolences to you at this time. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, those things are always difficult to deal with. I hope you give yourself time to grieve, I think that's really important.
I'm basically calorie counting and staying away for white carbs (cakes/pasta/rice) even wheat since i don't care for the wheat taste. I basically eat veggies and a side of protein for every meal, minus breakfast. I eat oat bran and flaxseed (it's kind of like oatmeal) but it keeps me full for awhile and only around 200 calories.

I know exactly what you mean! I have been 200 lbs too, I could barely walk without being tired and I'm short too. I lost a bit here and there after leaving college but i haven't gotten down from 175, and i still am very unhealthy, but I was 175 today 2lbs down from 177lbs. Good start I think? Are you following any specific diet right now? I got some of my meal motivation from this girl

http: // instagram. com/ myweightlossfr

She has lost so much weight, I know we can do this too! It's just getting through day by day. It's amazing what motivation does, last week I was so down in the dumps and after this thread I have more support than I can imagine. I think with resources here we can really do it

How about just walking in place? You know I've been reading this forum for years and I know people have lost weight without exercise. I would rather incorporate something little though, just because I am really really weak!

HuggerBunny- I can't until the day comes where I don't crave/desire junk food! My doctor as of now told me cut down my carbs and increase my vegetables. My good cholesterol is low and bad is very high, so I also have to incorporate exercise. Funny you mentioned apples, apples make my throat itch like crazy, but I do like bananas and blueberries? I can eat more vegetables than I can fruits though, not much of a fruit person.

Today I have eaten oat bran+ flaxseed for breakfast -200 calories
Lunch -grilled chicken with side of green beans-350 cals I also had some potato wedges though but I measure them out and it was 60 calories, and my coffee which was 130 calories, so I'm at 738 as of lunch time.

I'm planning to eat steamed green beans and tuna for dinner, and keep some almonds around for snack. It's also crazy how much more money I spend on healthy food! almonds, green beans all cost so much more than I would spend on boxed packaged foods, but i know it's healthier! Thank you again for letting me vent away on this thread, hope everyone is having a good week. 2jellybelly dont lose hope! check the instagram link i posted, she is amazing motivation! (i had to put spaces because it wouldn't let me post the link directly!)

Last edited by Stopquitting; 02-12-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Stopquitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:37 PM   #32  

Hi again,

So I measured out how much sugar I put into my coffee, and I fit 2 cups of coffee in my mug, and add 2tsps NESCAFE dark roast, and then add 2tbsp sugar, is that too much? I'm adding so much more sugar than I am coffee!
Old 02-12-2014, 04:44 PM   #33  

Default Hey Stopquitting

Yep, I hate to say it - but 2 tablespoons per mug of 16 oz coffee? That does seem like a lot of sugar, at least to me. I use stevia in my coffee. I get it at Trader Joe's in the powdered form. It's not cheap, but, supposedly it is not suppose to have any side effects. Thank You for your kind words in regards to my childhood friend. It has been tough. I am trying to eat healthier & make healthier choices. Seem like the Atkins & Weight Watchers that I have been on through the years (mainly Atkins) - have really done & taught me nothing. I did check out the website that you sent me. That gal is amazing. I guess I need to tighten the reins of how I live. Cut more veges at one time & store them in the fridge & freezer. Have a great day...
2jellybelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:08 PM   #34  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jellybelly View Post
Yep, I hate to say it - but 2 tablespoons per mug of 16 oz coffee? That does seem like a lot of sugar, at least to me. I use stevia in my coffee. I get it at Trader Joe's in the powdered form. It's not cheap, but, supposedly it is not suppose to have any side effects. Thank You for your kind words in regards to my childhood friend. It has been tough. I am trying to eat healthier & make healthier choices. Seem like the Atkins & Weight Watchers that I have been on through the years (mainly Atkins) - have really done & taught me nothing. I did check out the website that you sent me. That gal is amazing. I guess I need to tighten the reins of how I live. Cut more veges at one time & store them in the fridge & freezer. Have a great day...
I actually have stevia at home, but I find it tastes weird. I think I should add almond milk or something instead huh? I googled how much sugar per coffee cup and most people put around 1 tsp, I'm really overdoing it.

She is right? Yes, I think you've got a great plan there, come back and update
Old 02-12-2014, 05:30 PM   #35  

Default stopquitting

Well, I know that some people add dark chocolate cocoa powder in their coffee. I tried the Unsweetened Vanilla almond breeze in my coffee & I thought it was horrible. Just some FYI. I love my coffee too. Maybe Splenda? Although it is not natural, it has to be better for the weight loss than sugar? Or better yet, maybe you could ween your yourself from a tablespoon. Go down a little every other day, until you reach a much less amount?? Hope you stay healthy today. I know that we need to take it one day at a time. I am getting ready for a trip to California for my friend's funeral. I will just try to do the best that I can do & not beat myself up for it...
Old 02-12-2014, 09:16 PM   #36  
Began on 10/25/13

Stopquitting, I agree, 2 tablespoons of sugar is a lot. Is there any way you would feel comfortable giving up the coffee, or do you really need the caffeine to get through the day? If you need the caffeine, have you tried drinking black tea? It doesn't have as much caffeine as coffee, but you could just try drinking more of it. The only way I can handle coffee is if it's "watered down" a ton with milk and sugar, like a mocha or iced coffee. Too bitter otherwise and I absolutely cannot stand it. I drink some form of coffee maybe every 2 months. However, I can enjoy black tea with nothing added just fine. Maybe that would work for you
HuggerBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:32 PM   #37  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopquitting View Post
Hi again,

So I measured out how much sugar I put into my coffee, and I fit 2 cups of coffee in my mug, and add 2tsps NESCAFE dark roast, and then add 2tbsp sugar, is that too much? I'm adding so much more sugar than I am coffee!
2 TBSP SUGAR!!! You are mad! and its the indian in you. I am joking i hope you know. Indians do bury their coffee under a pile of sugar. Yes that's about 4 times as much as the average australian puts in their coffee.

See if you can learn to like coffee without sugar at all. I have stopped and started sugar in my tea and coffee a few times in my life. Its not difficult. But i do put milk in. Normal milk, not creamer or cream or anything else. Just full cream normal whole milk. It tastes good to me.

Its not so much because of the calories but because it keeps your sweet tooth alive and strong. So knock off the sugar in your drinks and and everywhere else and you will adjust to the unsweetened life.

For cholesterol, i have been told that beans as in lentils and kidney beans and chickpeas and things of that kind help lower cholesterol. Even if its not true, these beans are good for you, high in fibre, high in protein and in traditional indian cuisine many wonderful dishes are made and you are probably familiar with them. I try to eat a lot of beans.

For anyone who does not like exercise, if the weather is fine, go out for a walk in a nice neighbourhood or a park. Go where there are nice things to look at. Or walk to work. Get off the train or tram or bus earlier than usual and walk 30 minutes to get there. Same on the way back. You will notice the difference very quickly. Of course if the weather is miserable, its less fun.

Or get a bicycle, ride it to work.

Or do yoga such as iyengar yoga which won't make you sweat but will build up your muscles, make you puff a bit. Having bigger muscles increases your metabolism.

Also other similar types of exercise to that is tai chi, qi hung. Or take up dancing. Do a class. Many larger women take up with belly dancing. This is a nice one because it addresses femininity and gets you to enjoy your body.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:38 PM   #38  
on a journey

Hi stopquitting,

I just wanted to say good luck in your weight loss. I too, was stuck for years and just became happy with being fat. I came to terms with my body and that I wasn't ever going to be skinny.

Well, today, I was weighed and I have lost 8 pounds. I was shocked. Now I know I can actually lose weight. Now I know that my body is capable of losing pounds.

I wish you the best of luck in your journey in weight loss.
Lisa_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:50 AM   #39  

HuggerBunny- To be honest, I think it's sometimes psychological, like I've done it for so long I feel I need it, but there have been so many times where i want to fall asleep right away after drinking coffee. I think it's just the taste I'm addicted to, I think this is something I have to lay off too. It also doesn't settle well with my stomach at times. I actually drink tea much more often and can tolerate it without the sugar too! I put in crushed ginger and then drop a tea bag in it, it's really good!

Pattience-It is definitely the indian in me! haha that made me laugh. I'm going to have to lay off it soon. I dont feel as if I need to have it, more just a ritual as a college student, it's almost like a comfort food to me at times! but it does curb sweet cravings.

Ohiofreespirit-thank you for your kind words! and that is wonderful wow 8 lbs! Losing weight like that is such a great feeling, I once lost 6lbs without purposely dieting and it was so great! It's very easy to become comfortable with this lifestyle, being happy that food is there, but it's when I get to the outside world that I see how unhealthy it is, and when I go to the doc and get a reality check of what I'm doing to myself. But thank you! I hope I can be healthy at some point in my 20s! that's my aim now.

As of today I have not cheated! I did have two coffees but other than that, 2 servings of vegetables, protein, I did have a promax bar though =( It was better than the oreo pack I usually buy but I was starving at school, and the store only had pretzels (which i hate with a passion), yogurt raisins, chips, and promax bars, I need to pack better snacks for school too. that's 2 days without cheating. Each day I'm learning new things to change, yesterday it was basically not cheating, tomorrow it will be to lower my sugar intake in coffee, or see if I can get by with my ginger tea instead Hope you all are doing well!
Old 02-13-2014, 11:01 PM   #40  

hi guys,

Just my daily update here, I was 174 today!

I'm trying to not get too excited, good chance it might be water weight since, from what i hear that's what comes off first?

I didn't eat quite well today. I made some sweets for some family coming over and ate quite a bit in the process of making them, so I feel guilty, I'm thinking to go exercise soon to hopefully make this day better

Hope you all are doing well.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:33 AM   #41  

Ohiofreespirit - Fabulous on your weight loss. Especially when you weren't really expecting it. You MUST be doing something right. Keep up the fabulousness...
Old 03-05-2014, 04:49 PM   #42  

Hello everyone!

Haven't commented here in sometime, hope you all are doing well. I am going strong so far, hoping it continues.