3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Weight Loss Support

Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

So, I need to eat more? Help! :)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2014, 08:17 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
coffeeshopgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 432

S/C/G: 185/181/145

Height: 5'7"

Question So, I need to eat more? Help! :)

I've been tracking my calories on MyFitnessPal and I'm having a hard time eating all my allotted 1510 calories. I notice that if I eat until I'm full, then my cals are around 1100-1150. If I push myself to eat to 1500, I get a stomach ache or I get cravings for fast food. I don't want to go into starvation mode, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to control my metabolism.

How do I get to my calorie goal without stuffing myself?

Help! Thanks

__________________
Mini goal: To weigh 170 lbs by 5/28/14

Goal Achieved: 175 lbs on 4/30/14

coffeeshopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Changergirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Korea
Posts: 726

S/C/G: 96/ticker/72

Height: 5'7"/170cm

Default

You're not going to go into starvation mode by eating less than 1200 calories, it's pretty much a myth.

However I would recommend trying to eat closer to your goal right now because every time you lose 10-15 pounds you're going to have to readjust your calorie goal and most likely it'll be going down so by the time you're close to your goal you'll be down to less than 1000 calories.

I'm eating between 1400-1700 calories no problem daily. Take a look at what you're eating. Is it mainly 'diet' foods; low calorie or low fat options? I'd skip low fat dairy and eat at least 2%, that'll add more calories. Adding a tablespoon of oil to your veggies adds a healthy 120 calories. Nuts and avocadoes are healthy higher calorie snacks. You can also try adding a snack in between your main meals. I normally eat a morning, afternoon and evening snack. My morning snack is usually a granola bar, afternoon is 2 hard boiled eggs and evening is some yogurt.

You can add me on MFP if you'd like to look at my diary, though I do eat mainly the same thing daily and my lunches are a bit odd as they're Korean public school lunches. My name there is the same as it is here.
__________________


Restart @96kg-Nov. 1st, 2012

Mini Goals:
Onederland (90.8)- Dec. 15 No longer Obese (86.5)- Feb. 14 15% lost (81.6)- Mar. 28 Original Goal (77) - July 13

Tracking Every 2.5% loss:
93.6 (11/22/12) 91.3 (12/10/12) 89.0 (12/30/12) 86.8 (2/12/13) 84.6 (03/07/13) 82.5 (03/20/13) 80.4 (04/24/13) 78.4 (05/16/2013) 76.4 (07/18/2013) 74.5 (12/29/2013) 72.6
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:48 PM   #3
Warrior Princess
 
novangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,495

S/C/G: 155/138/140

Height: 5' 5.5"

Default

If you're full you're full just don't go below 1,200. You don't go into starvation mode unless you've eaten zero for days on end.
__________________



novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:32 PM   #4
banned
 
Pattience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Tropical Australia
Posts: 1,308

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Default

What are you eating that you are finding yourself so full? How did you get overweight if you weren't finding yourself full before?

Anyway a food log would make it easier to give you suggestions. Make it complete with accurate quantities.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:45 PM   #5
Trying to be in the 160s
 
IanG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 3,477

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Default

I wouldn't worry about it. Stay where you are.
__________________

Running because of Diana
Believing because of Sue
Elvis lives!
Getting fashion advice from Sum
ReillyJ and Carpediem saved my knees!
Don't believe the hype. EAT MORE FISH.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:22 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
freelancemomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,040

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattience View Post
What are you eating that you are finding yourself so full? How did you get overweight if you weren't finding yourself full before?
That's exactly what I was thinking.

To the OP: Whenever someone posts about being too full to eat their allotted calories, I think, "What planet are you from????" I'm probably just envious, but I can't imagine feeling full on 1,500 calories. I eat about 2,000 to maintain, and even that isn't anywhere close enough for me to feel full -- ever. The good thing is that I almost never feel significant hunger, which is my primary goal. But it would take at least 3,000 cals per day for me to feel full.

Freelance
__________________
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:58 AM   #7
Frugal Dieter
 
Tilly5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 61

S/C/G: 190/135/132 (original G:138)

Height: 5'5"

Default

Changergirl,

I don't mean to be disagreeable, but I am just wondering if what you said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changergirl View Post
... because every time you lose 10-15 pounds you're going to have to readjust your calorie goal and most likely it'll be going down so by the time you're close to your goal you'll be down to less than 1000 calories.
is a myth, too.

I imagine some people might need to readjust their calorie intake every 10-15lbs, but I for one have not had to readjust calorie intake.

Tilly (54lb loss in 7+ months at 1500cals)
__________________
Tilly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:43 AM   #8
Struggling Dieter
 
Wannabehealthy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SW PA
Posts: 2,119

Default

It depends on your age, height, activity level. I would think it would also depend on what makes up those calories, what types of foods you are eating.

Here is a calculator I found online that tells you how many calories you need to maintain a certain weight. I don't know, even if I entered my goal weight instead of my current weight it gives me more calories than I think I should be eating.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/calorie-ca...r/ITT-20084939
__________________
Carol Sue


Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:18 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
coffeeshopgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 432

S/C/G: 185/181/145

Height: 5'7"

Default

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I appreciate the responses.

I'm eating healthy things like yogurt, frozen fruit, salads with strawberry vinegar (not oil) for dressing, tuna mac n' cheese, and baked tilapia with veggies. We've stopped the fast food, and we went out for "Taco Tuesday" last week, where I had one taco and a bowl of chicken tortilla soup. As I look at it, it's mainly lower carb. I didn't plan it that way, it was just easier to prep

I had some problems with binge eating before, so I'm trying a more psychological approach this time. My main goal was to listen to my body when it told me I was full, hence the lower calories. As I look back, it's just too low, and I think that's because I eat lighter during the day. I usually eat a little more during the weekend, but nothing that I would call a binge. However, this week I'm going to add in more cals to my breakfast and lunches and see what happens. I noticed when I try to eat more at dinner, it leads to night snacking and overeating.

Anyhoo, thanks for the feedback everyone! I'll let you know how it goes
__________________
Mini goal: To weigh 170 lbs by 5/28/14

Goal Achieved: 175 lbs on 4/30/14

coffeeshopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:46 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
queenie91's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Vancouv
Posts: 107

Height: 5'5"

Default

Whenever I cant reach my calories I blend together a smoothie (usually kale spinach banana lemon juice & ice) and throw in a quarter cup of Chia seeds. Good for you and altogether the smoothie is about ~300 cals
__________________



Last edited by queenie91 : 02-10-2014 at 05:46 AM.
queenie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:37 AM   #11
one choice at a time
 
carter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,248

S/C/G: 275/152/???

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeshopgirl View Post

I had some problems with binge eating before, so I'm trying a more psychological approach this time. My main goal was to listen to my body when it told me I was full, hence the lower calories. As I look back, it's just too low, and I think that's because I eat lighter during the day. I usually eat a little more during the weekend, but nothing that I would call a binge. However, this week I'm going to add in more cals to my breakfast and lunches and see what happens. I noticed when I try to eat more at dinner, it leads to night snacking and overeating.
coffeeshopgirl, I just want to comment that I think you are doing a super job learning to listen to your body and notice patterns like how what you eat at one time affects how you feel at other times.

I have never had the problem of eating too little - I wish! It's completely alien to me. But if it is a concern of yours I think you are approaching it very smartly. Good luck!
__________________
Working off a partial regain. Current weight: 173. Goals:
Make the best choice I can make, with every choice. Remember that the temptation in front of me is not the last of its kind that I will ever see; say "I'll pass today." Say "no!" to my whiny inner five-year-old.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:03 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Wannabeskinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 3,173

S/C/G: 215/199/150

Height: 5'4"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeshopgirl View Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I appreciate the responses.

I'm eating healthy things like yogurt, frozen fruit, salads with strawberry vinegar (not oil) for dressing, tuna mac n' cheese, and baked tilapia with veggies. We've stopped the fast food, and we went out for "Taco Tuesday" last week, where I had one taco and a bowl of chicken tortilla soup. As I look at it, it's mainly lower carb. I didn't plan it that way, it was just easier to prep

I had some problems with binge eating before, so I'm trying a more psychological approach this time. My main goal was to listen to my body when it told me I was full, hence the lower calories. As I look back, it's just too low, and I think that's because I eat lighter during the day. I usually eat a little more during the weekend, but nothing that I would call a binge. However, this week I'm going to add in more cals to my breakfast and lunches and see what happens. I noticed when I try to eat more at dinner, it leads to night snacking and overeating.

Anyhoo, thanks for the feedback everyone! I'll let you know how it goes
Good for you, sounds like you're doing a great job listening to your hunger signals.

Just wanted to point out that you can try adding a little healthy fat to your salad. Some olive oil, some avocado, some nuts. I say this because it is very difficult for your body to absorb nutrients from veggies without healthy fat. It's true, a little olive oil would make your salad much more digestable and healthy for you.
__________________


"Binging is a descent into a world where every restriction... is cut loose. At its core is a feeling of deprivation.. a feeling you can never get enough. Binges do not signify a lack of willpower or inability to care for yourself. On the contrary, binges are a urgent attempt to care for yourself when you feel uncared for. They are the voice of survival. Binges are the mark of the self that says, 'I am tired of feeling deprived, of being told I am wrong, that I am bad." - Geneen Roth
Wannabeskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I need to ask for help.... kmac1196 South Beach Diet 16 04-02-2011 11:13 AM
I need to find the help here that I can't get near by Valoki Weight Loss Support 13 06-30-2009 12:13 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:33 AM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2