Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-16-2014, 11:23 AM   #226  

S/C/G: 171/150/115

Height: 5'4

Thanks Diana!

Haha, I should have known I'd start snacking as soon as I bought some snacks! Yesterday was quite good, besides perhaps a bit too much snacking. I ate about 6 vanilla wafers and 10 pringles along with a breakfast of scrambled eggs, lunch of soup and dinner was 2 meatballs, potatoes and a big bowl of mixed veggies.

Today, I've only had a couple of vanilla wafers with my coffee and a small piece of chuck steak.

I do also agree with Larry about adding volume to food. I've done this before when dieting to try and cut the calories, but never really thought about actually practicing it regularly. I did add quite a bit of of mixed veggies to my soup. Larry's method, along with adequate protein / fat, seems to be the key to controlling snacking! Last night, after I got hungry for snacks, I just made a giant bowl of mixed veggies. It really helped! This morning, I wanted to eat more wafers after my morning coffee, so I just made a little bit of steak and I don't even want wafers now.

I do find I have to add salt if I add water or extra veggies, though. I just don't like the taste of stuff without salt. I even eat sweet potatoes with a little bit of salt! My blood pressure is always on the low side, though, so I don't worry about it too much, since I get lots of potassium and water.
laciemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:48 AM   #227  

Default Winning Weight loss

Hello everyone,

It's hard to find motivation these days but once you find a good one its like riding a bike through your weight loss journey. At first your weak, the pain is unbearable physically,emotionally,and mentally. Then as you pedal more and more you start to notice that your becoming faster and less winded. Then your face feels warm, as a result the best thing happens you SMILE. Even though your in pain you SMILE. You keep smiling and you realize that life is beautiful and you can do anything! Believe in yourself!

For some free tips click my link!
Royalj1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:45 PM   #228  

S/C/G: 319/264/200

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by laciemn View Post
I do find I have to add salt if I add water or extra veggies, though. I just don't like the taste of stuff without salt. I even eat sweet potatoes with a little bit of salt! My blood pressure is always on the low side, though, so I don't worry about it too much, since I get lots of potassium and water.
As long as salt does not bother you then by all means continue using it and do not worry about it. I also love the taste of salt and like you I have low blood pressure. My problem is that I retain water like crazy when I have a lot of sodium. I started looking around for salt substitute but I hated the taste of all of them until I found "AlsoSalt" It is the only one I have found that tastes like salt and has no after taste. It can be a little pricey. You can find it in some grocery stores or order it on Amazon. I say stay with salt if your BP is good and you do not retain water but if you ever need to change I highly recommend AlsoSalt.
Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:52 PM   #229  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Down 0.4lbs today to 175.2lbs.

Yes Diana, I was sore from the shoveling. But it's back to the gym now.

I have been playing around with my diet again. I have just not felt fired up enough for my workouts. Tired, mostly hungry and sometimes achy.

So I have upped my calories today to feel more comfortable.

Some extra smoked oysters for breakfast.

A banana before working out.

And some extra smoked osyters at lunch. (I'm really getting into smoked oysters!).

So I am looking at 1900-2000 calories today. Let's see what that does to the scale. I found my time at the gym a little easier.

Fat Calories Protein Carbs
Breakfast
banana 0 105 1 27
oats 3 150 4 27
Flaxseed milk 2 19 0 1
dried apricot 0 16 0 4
honey 0 21 0 6
Coffee 3 25 0 1
Polar Kippers 12 162 14 0
Coffee 3 25 0 1
Ekone habanero oysters 6 165 20 9

Lunch
quails eggs 3 42 4 0
Wild Planet Sardines 5 183 33 0
Ekone habanero oysters 6 165 20 9
Ocean harvest Dungeness crab 1 120 26 0
Ekone original oysters 5 165 17 11
anchovies 2 65 10 0
Honey 0 64 0 17
Tomato 0 11 1 2
Mushroom 0 2 0 0
Red onion 0 8 0 2
Kidney beans 0 18 1 3
Kimchi 0 100 10 10

Beer 0 300 0 26
Total 51 1930 160 156
Weight 175.2
Protein/weight ratio 0.91
Targets based on weight Low High
Calories 2453 2803
Fat based on 20-30% caloric intake 43 64
20% less calories to cut 1962

Exercise: Did 50 minutes weight training followed by a 3.5 mile run.

Last edited by IanG; 02-16-2014 at 01:52 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:58 PM   #230  

S/C/G: 171/150/115

Height: 5'4

I'm going to try some of that NoSalt, Larry! I won't cut out salt completely even if it's a good substitute, but it will be nice to use on things I use a lot of salt on, like potatoes or rice.

Today, I had 4 wafers, 5-10 pringles, a piece of chuck steak (1/2 for breakfast and 1/2 dinner), a small salad with avocado for lunch, and I will have steak, rice and steamed spinach for dinner. Since I'm going to eat early, I will definitely have a snack later.

I did a 10 minute workout video on youtube instead of my usual routine. Needed a break!
laciemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:36 PM   #231  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

ian my dad LOVES smoked oysters but I never liked them as a kid...the oysters we get now are when we go camping with friends, catch them fresh and put them over the campfire...even those I don't really like but others seem to love them a lot

I had another short run at the gym...breaking in new shoes and getting back into running after an almost 8-month break to focus on weight training...i'm finding that I enjoy it still but my lungs with asthma have lost the capacity they used to have...so i'm focusing on what I can do right now and building from there...so glad to have new running shoes even if they did rub me raw in one spot

did some errands today, doing house cleaning, rearranged some things that needed to get done, and doing laundry...glad to have tomorrow off work for the holiday
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:42 PM   #232  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

Hello all,
Quick check in, we got out finally yesterday and then got stuck coming back in the driveway, kind of got plowed too narrow at the end, anyway, today we got the truck out, the driveway widened at the end and went for a ride on the quad. I'm feeling the shoveling, it seems like it's snowed every day for 3 or 4 days, and a few more forecast for tomorrow night, hope I can get in to work.

Food was good today, didn't do my exercise plan yesterday or today due to the unexpected snow related exercise, but so be it, I will get back to it tomorrow for sure, if I do them when I get up, like I almost did today, I'll get them in.

Sounds like everyone's doing well, Larry you've got me thinking about green beans, big time, lol, I'm going to cook some up tomorrow, I have some in the freezer from the garden. Ian smoked oysters are addicting...lol, I bought a bunch of avocados, so will be eating them this week in place of the oysters, I need to order some of those you mentioned, dying to try them.

Best to all, hope to be back to my version of normal tomorrow, although it is a holiday, so there's that...
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:45 PM   #233  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

another way oysters are great is in bread crumbs and fried in a bit of oil, wow, really good, easy to google fried oysters, good for a little treat, change of pace, we got the oysters at Wegman's at the fresh seafood counter.
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:48 PM   #234  
Vegetarian, Low carb

S/C/G: 180/168.1/120

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry H View Post
As long as salt does not bother you then by all means continue using it and do not worry about it. I also love the taste of salt and like you I have low blood pressure. My problem is that I retain water like crazy when I have a lot of sodium. I started looking around for salt substitute but I hated the taste of all of them until I found "AlsoSalt" It is the only one I have found that tastes like salt and has no after taste. It can be a little pricey. You can find it in some grocery stores or order it on Amazon. I say stay with salt if your BP is good and you do not retain water but if you ever need to change I highly recommend AlsoSalt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laciemn View Post
I'm going to try some of that NoSalt, Larry! I won't cut out salt completely even if it's a good substitute, but it will be nice to use on things I use a lot of salt on, like potatoes or rice.
Also, NoSalt (or similar salt substitute) is made of potassium so it's great for preventing low-potassium leg cramps. I use it all the time, in eggs, on sandwiches, in broth, on my veggies, etc. Not because of issues with sodium. I get plenty of dietary sodium from cheese and dairy products. My blood pressure is just fine and I don't retain water - but because I am a low-carb vegetarian, I have a lot of trouble obtaining adequate potassium from food sources alone. NoSalt to the rescue! Well, that, and Low-sodium V8, which also has LOADS of potassium.

Last edited by shr1nk1ngme; 02-16-2014 at 07:50 PM.
shr1nk1ngme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:51 PM   #235  
It's mine for the taking

S/C/G: 238 / see ticker / 188

Height: 5'6"

Hi Diana! Hi everyone

I'm returning to 3FC to try to get myself back in the right mindset to lose some weight. My goals are very undefined at the moment, just a general 'lose weight', 'exercise more', 'do better'....

I haven't even made a ticker yet, but I think I need to set a series of small goals...and I guess I'll start with 20lbs.

Low carb/high protein/low sodium seems to work best for me. I just did the shopping and some pre-cooking to support that...so here goes. All my calories are estimates based on the 'lose it' app.

Breakfast: Italian wedding soup (3/4 serving) (192 calories), coffee with cream (120 calories)
Lunch: Italian wedding soup (256 calories) saltines (72 calories)
Dinner: Taco salad (500 calories)
Snack: Greek yogurt (140 cal)

Total: 1280 calories

Exercise: TBA -- I'm about to get on the treadmill
Current weight: 236lbs
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:57 PM   #236  
Trying to live below 200

S/C/G: This time: 292/201.4/under 200

Height: 5'6" 1/2

Hi Everyone!

We had a great time at the Expo today. We need to work on getting Cody comfortable around people and other dogs. He got so excited and crazy acting. He also pulled a lot on the leash and ended up making himself sick. Last week we took him to walk in Pet Smart. I think we will try that on a more regular basis. He goes to the groomer ever other week. He also goes to the Vet once a month to get weighed for his flea control/heartworm medicine. I guess that's just not enough. I think we need to go to Pet Smart every day. The last time we went to the Vet, he really disrupted the waiting room. You know the bad kid in school? The Dennis the menace? That's Cody. I keep trying to remember that he's only 8 months old. Hopefully he will start acting better with age. I can say one thing though, he was prettier than the other Boykin's there today. (he just can't act right )

My food wasn't great today. They had a lot of samples of food and wine, etc. I will chalk this up as an off plan day. Back at it tomorrow. Also, since we were gone all day I didn't get a workout in. Again, back at it tomorrow.

Novangel Thank you.

Laciemn I have done the big bowl of veggies too. They have helped me get through a rough time. I like to feel full. Good job enjoying the wafers in moderation.

Royalj1979
Hi and welcome to the check-in!

Larry Hi

Ian Good job on the .4 and for tweaking things until you can find your sweet spot.

Alaskanlaughter
Good job on the run. It will take time to build back up. I have noticed that I don't have the cardio stamina that I used to have. I lowered the intensity of my workouts since the Dr. felt I needed to watch my stress levels. I am trying to build it back up. Enjoy your day off.

Kelijpa Do you have tomorrow off, too? If so, enjoy your day!

Shr1nk1ngme Hi

Angie Hi and Welcome back! It is really good to see you. Good job planning ahead with your shopping so you will have what you need. Did you workout on the treadmill?

Last edited by Diana3271; 02-16-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:41 PM   #237  
It's mine for the taking

Diana -- I did get on the treadmill, but I only lasted 15 minutes. I have just felt so lazy lately...I have a great day on the treadmill and then I don't want to look at it for a week! So today, I'll take my 15 minutes and try for 20 tomorrow. I'm also going swimming with Cameron and his friends tomorrow -- it's Family Day here -- so having to put on a bathing suit ought to motivate me a little.

I see that you have a new dog -- what breed is he? He sounds like a mischevious one! Our little Goliath passed away in November -- I miss him terribly.

Last edited by Angie; 02-16-2014 at 10:43 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:11 AM   #238  

S/C/G: 319/264/200

Height: 5' 6"

Today is my self proclaimed official weekly weigh in day.

The results for my third week of eating more to weigh less using the Volumetrics Plan are:

4 pounds lost this week!!

Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:32 AM   #239  
Trying to live below 200

S/C/G: This time: 292/201.4/under 200

Height: 5'6" 1/2

Good Morning, Everyone!

We are working today, but I am moving very slow! I went to bed early last night and slept well. It probably has to do with the wine that I had at SEWE yesterday.

Angie I'm sorry to hear about Goliath. It was horrible for us when Magnum passed away. We actually continued to hear him around us until we got Cody. That went on for a couple of years! (We probably sound like crazy people ) Cody is a Boykin Spaniel. This is what they look like. Don't be fooled by their cuteness. They are evil Tasmanian Devil dogs.
http://lilypadboykins.com/puppies.html
http://lilypadboykins.com/PHOTOS.html

Larry Congratulations!

No yoga to report for last night. I am back on plan today. I might have a second gain tomorrow since I was off plan yesterday. I am up 1.2 pounds from yesterday.
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:22 AM   #240  
It's mine for the taking

Breakfast: Meatballs with tomato basil sauce + coffee (639 cal - ouch!)
Lunch: 1/2 chicken breast with broccoli and cauliflower (299 cal)
Dinner: Going out with friends, so I've preselected...8oz sirloin with vegetable medley (576 cal)

This will be a higher calorie day than I would like, but I already ate that darn breakfast before realizing how high it was! We are going swimming with some friends today and I'll get back on the treadmill again later this evening.

Food: 1514 calories
Exercise: -369 calories
Net: 1145 calories

Today's weight: 238.6 (up 2.6!)

This is the plan, so we'll see how it turns out. It was pretty frustrating to wake up to this big gain this morning, but I'm sure it will pass. I already had 50-60lbs to lose, so what is 2 more?

Diana - I remember when Magnum passed, and I thought of you when it happened with Goliath. It still hits me sometimes when I come home and he's not here to greet me, or trying to push past me to make a break for a romp around the neighbourhood. I love those puppies, they are very cute! I'm sure they have to be cuter to make up for the mischief -- that's how I felt about Jack Russell's too -- if Goliath wasn't so darn cute I don't know that we would have made it 12 years!

Last edited by Angie; 02-17-2014 at 12:51 PM.