3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Circulation Question (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/291953-circulation-question.html)

Silverfire 01-22-2014 11:59 AM

Circulation Question

I'm cold. I'm almost always cold. At least my hands and feet are!

Today it's particularly cold in my cubicle (I call it my Ice-cube) I have on gloves, my hood is up, and my feet are resting on one of the two heaters... BRRRR

My BF complains if I touch him with my hands or feet, especially in bed ;)

Anyone else out there have this problem, and has anyone found that losing weight helps to increase circulation?

Any other suggestions? I have increased my exercise and I get up and go for a walk frequently during work...

IanG 01-22-2014 12:31 PM

Quite the opposite. I freeze my frickin' ar$e off now I have lost weight. When I was heavier I could go outside in the snow with a T-shirt. Now, my hands get numb in gloves!

I will say, as well, that being in calorie deficit also made me feel cold when I was dieting heavily. What made matters worse was eating cold foods. Perhaps try to drink and eat warm things.

Locke 01-22-2014 12:37 PM

Whenever I am cutting weight I get cold. I think it's the decrease in metabolism that's the culprit. Human body fat is a poor insulator compared to, say, seal fat but it's still possible that you're colder because of losing fat.

alaskanlaughter 01-22-2014 01:01 PM

i've always been cold...but as a smaller person now, i am ALWAYS COLD!!...it also takes me a very long time to warm up...so, say, when we have an 80-degree day which is rare, it takes me until mid-afternoon to really even feel hot...it's weird...and this has happened ever since i lost weight and not necessarily when i've only been in a calorie deficit...i also used to experience a huge drop in temperature after a hard run...where i would go from dripping sweat to freezing cold within 45 minutes...strangest thing ever...i don't really have a solution either...i just try to wear warm shoes and clothes and never let myself get chilled

Silverfire 01-22-2014 01:18 PM

Well damn. That wasn't what I wanted to hear at all! LOL Oh well, I guess my bf will have to accept my icicles for fingers and toes!

Now that I think about it I think I may have asked this same question last year. I guess I forgot :) Anyway I do recall reading or hearing that if you are in a calorie deficit that you would be more likely to be cold. I needed a reminder apparently.

I think it could help if my work could get its HVAC settings under control. AC on in the winter. Heat on in the summer. Bah!

It's -25, feels like -31 outside, and my ice-cube's temp is 19 and a bit... BRR!!!

yoyoma 01-22-2014 02:15 PM

I wear fuzzy socks to bed. They should help your feet stay warm and even if they don't your BF won't mind if your feet touch him. I don't have a big problem with my hands at night (thanks to my high heating bills), but during the day, it's nice to keep a cup of hot tea handy.

Did some googling and found that there is a product called "Bed buddy warming mittens" (they sell booties too). So, I guess you could try wearing comfy mittens to sleep if your hands are that cold.

Good luck!

freelancemomma 01-22-2014 04:52 PM

Every time I've been in a caloric deficit (i.e., eating less energy than using), I've felt cold. I think it happens because of metabolic slowdown while cutting calories. Once you bump up your calories to maintenance levels, you'll likely feel less cold. That's been my experience, at any rate.

F.

seagirl 01-22-2014 05:47 PM

If your feet and hands are cold, it means your core feels cold and is conserving heat by not sending it out to the extremities. If you are wearing all cotton, you will be colder. Try a wool underlayer, like a SmartWool shirt, or you can make a wool wrap for your core. When at home if my feet are freezing, I do put on socks and a hat, but I also heat up a cloth bag of dry rice in the microwave, and put in on my belly. It warms my core so my body feels warm enough to send blood back to my feet.

SweetCurves32 01-23-2014 01:43 PM

I was that way all the time! I was told by the doctor that it was a symptom of my hypothyroidism. It is most likely not that for you, but I thought I would put it out there anyway. Hope you warm up!

Psychic 01-23-2014 01:45 PM

You could talk to your doctor about getting a blood thinner prescribed. Blood thinners can help increase circulation. Personally, I take Ginko Balboa supplements because they are a natural blood thinner.

Of course, bad circulation can be a symptom of other health conditions, such as anemia. Talk to your doctor about getting bloodwork done to make sure everything looks right.