Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-20-2014, 05:45 PM   #16  

S/C/G: Peak 300/Restart 270/Goal 130

Height: 5'4.5'

I do track some things - basically weight, body fat and carbs (am doing Atkins). If I dont track those things, I get sidelined very quickly and then end up throwing in the towel.

I do though take the time to appreciate the non-digitized things. A lot of the groups on here have posts called NSVs - Non Scale Victories - and folks post about things that are not necessarily number related but are important to them. During my journey so far, things like having to move the car seat forward, buying a new smaller bra, not having my granny-panty underwear up my butt like a thong, being able to walk more than 20 feet with out my knees feeling like they were going to explode. Yeah, those are all NSVs and I make a point to post them on the appropriate board to remind myself that this isnt completely about the scale and my BMI.

This week's NSV for me - zipping up a pair of pants that one week ago I couldn't zip more than an inch.
Kat117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:51 PM   #17  

S/C/G: size 20/14/10

Height: 5' 7"

It's all relative. The numbers can be your best friend or your worst nightmare. Some days you can be inspired and some days frustrated by them. I use some of the numbers to motivate me some of the time. But, I am also at a point where I can stay on plan without focusing on them too much. I have several rotating meal plans that if I stick to the plan no counting of carbs or calories is necessary. I go through phases where I watch my scale, my Fitbit and my nutrition like a hawk and other times I just relax a little. (Not too much because if I go more than 2 or 3 days without weighing or tracking I start to get too sloppy.) But, it is nice to take a break from it for a day or two and still be OP.
mariposssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:37 AM   #18  
Blessed Person Here

S/C/G: Going/Still going/Gone

Height: 5' 1''

From what I get, numbers are helping a lot of dieters. That's good. Maybe it's just that I'm too lazy!!!!!!!!!!!
thirti4thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:08 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

No numbers for this chick even though I love math. I guess I don't believe the science of nutrition is developed enough to justify spending a lot of time on the numbers. I just "eat less, move more" and weigh myself every week or two.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:21 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 253/238/140

Height: 5'3.5

Well... I totally agree and I try to not let the numbers be my GOAL. I try to keep in focus that my goals are to feel better, move better, live longer, etc.

BUT I work in research So numbers are actually interesting to me and I enjoy tracking, graphing, etc.

I am able to look at the numbers objectively though- I enjoy when I go down a pound. I enjoy making the calculations, etc. For me it is a bit of a reward. BUT I don't feel like my self worth or success are tied to the numbers.

I don't get discouraged if I don't see a loss or if I see a gain. I know that as long as I stay on track, the changes I want and the goals I have will come in time.

I do think I am a person who needs to track calories & exercise forever. I do not do well when not tracking. Maybe I don't have the right body signals to let me know when I have ingested enough calories and it is time to stop. I honestly feel the same after dinner now as I did when I was consuming twice the calories.

And I tend to get involved and oblivious and can sit at my desk for several hours straight and just not realize it. I set an alarm to get me out of my chair every half hour. I track my exercise because if I don't, I will get out of the habit of doing it consistently.

I think the goal for any individual is finding what works for him/her. I am very goal oriented and data driven. So numbers and charts motivate me.

I do think it is important though to not get too caught up in the numbers and to remember the real life goals that we are aiming for.

And the charts that are floating around out there are guides- not magic numbers. Does it matter if I end up at 135 or 140 or 145? Probably not. So I think especially when we get close to our goals, it is important to pay more attention to our bodies and less attention to the numbers.

When you are at the other end though... it can take a lot of pounds before you really feel and see a difference in your body. Seeing measurements and pounds changing with a tape measure and scale can help us see in a practical way on a more regular basis that we are progressing. I lose a pound every few days or so... I notice my pants getting looser, the weights feeling lighter, etc every couple of weeks.

I think I would get discouraged if I only used those more tangible, more important, but less frequent markers of success.
IonMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:28 PM   #21  
diamondgeog

I think all numbers are not created equal. I agree weight is not necessairly as primary as I at least had made it and still make it. I listened to Dr. Lustig. He had an interesting point. Waist size. He said try to get under 40 if you are a guy and under 35 if female.

Better chance of not getting 'metabolic syndrome'. I was pushing 48 in May. Now I am a 39. I recently bought 40s and they need a belt. Not sure I could fit into 38s, but guys clothes goes every 2 inches.

And for exercising a heart rate monitor has been invaluable. Because before getting it I was pushing too hard and running was just not fun. With it, I paced myself not on how fast I thought I should be going but on how hard my heart was working. I still went pretty high, regularly in the 160s. But before I was exceeding my 'max' heart rate.

And yes I still use a scale daily. It is a habit now. But I do honestly take the results one of two ways. Good job, keep going. Or let's make good choices today.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:59 PM   #22  

Height: 5'8''

I can't make myself track calories. It's a ginormous pain in the *** and it's gonna make me give up if I force myself to go through it. I just kind of use my best judgement.
I am, however, obsessed with weighing myself! After a while, I noticed what behaviors make me gain/lose daily, and I stick with them. Recently, I've become obsessed with measuring myself as well. I mean seriously, I measure myself every time I lose a pound or two. It's crazy but soooooo gratifying
FatCroat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:38 PM   #23  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonMoon View Post
Well... I totally agree and I try to not let the numbers be my GOAL. I try to keep in focus that my goals are to feel better, move better, live longer, etc.

BUT I work in research So numbers are actually interesting to me and I enjoy tracking, graphing, etc.

I am able to look at the numbers objectively though- I enjoy when I go down a pound. I enjoy making the calculations, etc. For me it is a bit of a reward. BUT I don't feel like my self worth or success are tied to the numbers.

I don't get discouraged if I don't see a loss or if I see a gain. I know that as long as I stay on track, the changes I want and the goals I have will come in time.

I do think I am a person who needs to track calories & exercise forever. I do not do well when not tracking. Maybe I don't have the right body signals to let me know when I have ingested enough calories and it is time to stop. I honestly feel the same after dinner now as I did when I was consuming twice the calories.

And I tend to get involved and oblivious and can sit at my desk for several hours straight and just not realize it. I set an alarm to get me out of my chair every half hour. I track my exercise because if I don't, I will get out of the habit of doing it consistently.

I think the goal for any individual is finding what works for him/her. I am very goal oriented and data driven. So numbers and charts motivate me.

I do think it is important though to not get too caught up in the numbers and to remember the real life goals that we are aiming for.

And the charts that are floating around out there are guides- not magic numbers. Does it matter if I end up at 135 or 140 or 145? Probably not. So I think especially when we get close to our goals, it is important to pay more attention to our bodies and less attention to the numbers.

When you are at the other end though... it can take a lot of pounds before you really feel and see a difference in your body. Seeing measurements and pounds changing with a tape measure and scale can help us see in a practical way on a more regular basis that we are progressing. I lose a pound every few days or so... I notice my pants getting looser, the weights feeling lighter, etc every couple of weeks.

I think I would get discouraged if I only used those more tangible, more important, but less frequent markers of success.

This ^^^ I couldn't have said it better!
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote