3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Weight Loss Support

Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

If your goal is to lose weight, you might be approaching the whole thing wrong

Old 01-13-2014, 10:34 AM   #1

Default If your goal is to lose weight, you might be approaching the whole thing wrong

I had to share this. I LOVE this.

http://mizfitonline.com/2013/02/15/w...-primary-goal/

So much on this page is spot on to me. Weight loss is a consequence of healthy living. It will come off when it comes off. You can't ever fully control that. It shoudn't even be your focus really.

Making good decisions. Eating whole foods. Exercising. I have totally found this to be true.

I do weigh myself. But I am even more please what has happened to my waist. I had big time metabolic syndrome stuff I was sure was about to happen.

I could barely fit into 46 inch waist pants last May. I didn't buy new pants for a while. When I did I can comfortably fit into a 40 and will probably be a 38 soon.

This is a journey. There is NO DIET. Because there is no stopping point. Sure tweeks happen. Sure we reevaluate. Sure we all have weight goals.

But there is a lot of wisdom in that page.

Restart: May 1, 2013 at 285. HW 340
diamondgeog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:01 AM   #2

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

THANK YOU!

Also, losing weight is a bad, bad idea in general. Weight can come from anything, water, bone, blood, muscles, fat. When you lose weight, you lose from most of that. And of course, losing muscle sets you up for problems down the road, such as regaining (after all, muscle burns fat even at rest and if you lose that muscle...well...your metabolism slows) or heart problems (your heart is a muscle afterall) just to name a few.

The real goal should be FAT loss. And that is done by incorporating a proper long term diet, as in lifestyle diet, with at least moderte exercise.

When you lose weight, you see that result on the scale. When you lose fat, you see that in inches. And that is the number I care the most about.

Thank you again for posting this...maybe it will enlighten a few lost souls who are at their wits ends.

Stage 1: Mini Goal 1: 265 pounds - complete 1/12/13; Mini Goal 2: 250 pounds - complete 4/17/13; Mini Goal 3: 225 pounds - completed 10/21/13
Stage 2: Moderate Obesity BMI - completed 11/26/13; ONDERLAND; Overweight BMI
Stage 3: work in progress

One for every 10 pounds lost:
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:18 AM   #3

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I think the desire to "lose weight" is usually in an effort to measure up to some kind of external standard anyway. There's nothing wrong with trying to "look good" except when you keep telling yourself that you aren't good enough as you are (hence, weighing yourself and getting frustrated or seeing only ugly or fat in the mirror.) Concern about appearance is almost it's own issue irrespective of health, and something to work on separately.

But, the desire to be healthy is purely to treat yourself and your body right. That in itself is its own reward. It means that you matter regardless of what you look like.

Last edited by Mazzy : 01-13-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Mazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:41 AM   #4
Film Fan

S/C/G: Top wt: 207; Now: under 150

Height: 5'8"

I also want to thank you for posting this link. It's a really great reminder that small decisions are the ones that matter in the journey toward better health (and weight loss)!
mackinac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:08 PM   #5

Height: 5'5"

I really liked the post. In fact, I just finished a two-month no-scale challenge in an attempt to embrace the process, not focus on the finish line (which, c'mon, is death, really).

But the article is also wrong. Exercising and eating whole foods will make us healthier. It will not inherently make us smaller or make us weigh less. Whole foods have calories. Some whole foods have a lot of calories packed into a very small portion. No amount of exercise--even exercise that packs on metabolism-boosting muscle--will undo the impact that lots of calories will have to weight/size. Weight (fat) loss is just not a given side effect of adopting a healthier lifestyle.

Trainer boy challenge (07/11-09/11):
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:17 PM   #6

S/C/G: 327/239.6/199

Height: 5'5"

I really really needed to see this (and I really, really need to believe it!).
The scale has been stuck for a long time - but I see the results with the tape measure and with my fitness level. I need to believe that at some point the scale will start to drop again. I think my body has to adjust to the 80+ pounds it has lost.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:49 PM   #7

I'm thinking maybe feeling well is a better goal than health or weight loss. Health as a goal is a bit intangible (how do you define it and why bother?), which is maybe why people rely on the scale, to at least have something to measure. Feeling well might be a little less intangible, and we all pretty much know how to get to that place where we feel well overall - physically and mentally - and that sometimes means foregoing the things that make us feel "good" in the moment (i.e., relieved).

Feeling well includes not overeating...feeling uncomfortable is incompatible with feeling well. And if you don't overeat, you will probably lose weight as a consequence.

Last edited by Mazzy : 01-13-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:11 PM   #8

You guys are all welcome.

Regarding the whole foods and exercise being too simple. Of course you can eat 3 whole pineapples a day and that wouldn't be good.

So smart choices is implied still. But whole foods are SO MUCH better than processed foods. I stick by that. I am living proof of that.

Another thing that happened on my journey is that I did not target my belly at all with any kind of exercise. I didn't and don't do sit ups. I do need to do a lot more core though. But the point is the healthier day to day choices my body started drawing on that fat and bringing my belly down. I didn't focus on it but losing it was a consequence of the healthy choices just like weight loss is.

But I did start doing much more strength right from the start. I could do 8 pushups max when I started. Granted I weigh 60 lbs less now but I can do low 30s to mid-30s now no problem. At least 4 times more pushups now and carrying things like ladders I can feel how much stronger I am now.

I was going to start a new thread about the following topic but I think it is also relevant here and I think it can be VERY helpful. Which is why I wanted it to be its own topic. And this is hard won knowledge. I am 48 now.

But I think when trying to get healthy/lose weight if it is 'hard' say past the first month or two that is valuable feedback you are doing something wrong. It CAN be hard. But it SHOULDN'T be hard. That is an important distinction.

What do I mean? I firmly believe our bodies want to be healthy and they are, and it is almost a miracle, really forgiving. I mean I have to thank my body A LOT. I treated it so badly and it was just waiting and willing to forgive me and totally transform once I started treating it right.

Whole, healthy foods can and are and should be delicious. You also should NEVER have to starve yourself or feel hungry when you are losing weight. If you are doing it right you are eating tasty healthy things and not hungry. In fact I am much less hungry than before. Now the transition period was hard. But now it isn't really that hard. If it stays hard you need to find new foods, new recipes, you might be eating too little, new exercises, etc.

But once this gets going it gets less hard. I feel. And if it stays hard that is really valuable feedback to try different things.

Last edited by diamondgeog : 01-13-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:20 PM   #9

I do have to disagree a little bit about the feeling well. I just saw a great video. I can link it later. But the presenter talked just about this. He is an amazing ethno-botanist.

In any event he was talking about how you should NEVER get anything labeled diet. Never, ever. The sweeteners are really bad for you, most of them used here.

And then this was even more shocking. We have toothpaste and deodorants and hair shampoo that is literally illegal and banned in Canada and Mexico. Because certain chemicals are allowed here and banned there.

He was saying one reason women get breast cancer is because their deodorants have this stuff. In any event he said your goal should be health. And ironically he said you can even feel food, feel great, but you might be heading toward well something bad with a C.

Now let me say feeling good and great is AWESOME. But we also want to be really healthy don't we? And cancer free? And heart disease free? So feeling healthy and being healthy we should shoot for both.

I also felt healthy when I got down to 250 or 260 even. So much better. So that is a great thing also. You don't have to be at goal weight to start feeling a lot better than before.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:26 PM   #10

S/C/G: 353/290/180

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieDawn View Post
I really liked the post. In fact, I just finished a two-month no-scale challenge in an attempt to embrace the process, not focus on the finish line (which, c'mon, is death, really).

But the article is also wrong. Exercising and eating whole foods will make us healthier. It will not inherently make us smaller or make us weigh less. Whole foods have calories. Some whole foods have a lot of calories packed into a very small portion. No amount of exercise--even exercise that packs on metabolism-boosting muscle--will undo the impact that lots of calories will have to weight/size. Weight (fat) loss is just not a given side effect of adopting a healthier lifestyle.
I second this I was about to say so and read your post. Perfect. I agree that goals should be primarily about health improvement. In my case though losing fat IS a health improvement considering I'm obese. And to acheive that personally I have to conciously try and lose weight (fat). Working out 5 times a week and eating "healthy foods". Without actually measuring and portion controlling on a semi-obsessed basis... doesn't lead to fat losses for me. And I don't notice fat gains except on the scale my clothes are TOO comfy that by the time they get 'tight' I've already gained another 20lbs of fat. I personally need my scale, people who are able to leave theirs be and still stay in control of their weight/fat are awesome. That's just... not me :-|

Mini Goals Celebrated:
310> Feb 2014 - 300> April 2014 290>May 2014
silentarctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:32 PM   #11

I still use my scale. Every day in fact. Eating whole food and exercising are still the keys to me. Assuming you eat the non-starchy vegetables, good quality meats, nuts, and I eat dairy as well. And sure you need to keep an eye on calories.

But people rarely gorge to excess on broc or spinach. Try it some day. It is virtually impossible to do. So if you are eating well chosen whole foods and exercising then yes you will lose weight.

You have to make sure you are not say using condiments in excess or drinking diet sodas which can mess with your metabolism. But if people were truly eating good whole foods, drinking a lot of water, avoiding diet anything, and putting in some good exercise you will have weight loss. If not I would check with doctors to see what else was going on.

Silentartic no one is saying obesity is not a huge health concerns. Of course it is. But if you follow any 'diet' that isn't something comfortable for you, eventually it will fail. It won't be sustainable and things will go back. You have to focus on healthy habits you can maintain.

And this is also important. You don't have to get all the way to your goal weight. A 10% weight loss can result in huge and profound benefits especially if you are also getting good exercise.

Last edited by diamondgeog : 01-13-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgeog View Post
I do have to disagree a little bit about the feeling well. I just saw a great video. I can link it later. But the presenter talked just about this. He is an amazing ethno-botanist.

In any event he was talking about how you should NEVER get anything labeled diet. Never, ever. The sweeteners are really bad for you, most of them used here.

And then this was even more shocking. We have toothpaste and deodorants and hair shampoo that is literally illegal and banned in Canada and Mexico. Because certain chemicals are allowed here and banned there.

He was saying one reason women get breast cancer is because their deodorants have this stuff. In any event he said your goal should be health. And ironically he said you can even feel food, feel great, but you might be heading toward well something bad with a C.

Now let me say feeling good and great is AWESOME. But we also want to be really healthy don't we? And cancer free? And heart disease free? So feeling healthy and being healthy we should shoot for both.

I also felt healthy when I got down to 250 or 260 even. So much better. So that is a great thing also. You don't have to be at goal weight to start feeling a lot better than before.
Well, I agree to an extent, and I'm sure at the end of the day we're on the same page. There comes a point though where you can't prevent everything. I want to live my life fully, and not just to prevent death or sickness. That, to me, is the real goal. And I firmly believe that unnecessary stress is higher on the list of health risks than many other things.

If I know that a certain shampoo causes cancer - and it's been studied and proven and/or there's factors to make me believe this - then, I would feel better not using that shampoo, especially since there's plenty of other alternatives. That's still under the umbrella of "feeling well."

But, I'm not going to research my current shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, perfume, hairspray, etc. to see if any of them cause cancer, and then research again just to make sure. Some people might, and there's nothing wrong with that. But, in my life, that's just too much work in the grand scheme of things, and to add that stressor would not be beneficial to my health or my well-being.

My point was that health as a goal is intangible to me. How healthy? Superfit would be nice, but I also want to be super mommy and wonder wife...there's a balance.

Great discussion!
Old 01-13-2014, 02:18 PM   #13

Great post and points Mazzy, thanks. And put that way yes. As healthy as possible AND practical and for sure to the feeling great point. I cannot in words describe how much better I feel now. Both body and mind.

Last edited by diamondgeog : 01-13-2014 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:55 PM   #14

Diamondgeog...that's awesome!

It's a great example for all of us
Old 01-13-2014, 04:13 PM   #15

S/C/G: 215/199/150

Height: 5'4"

While I don't disagree with tag post at all, it doesn't reach me because it's vague and philosophical. One cannot will themselves to feel good or to feel peaceful or whatever. It takes action to generate feelings like that. I agree, focus on the process not the results, but the process needs to be thought out and given direction.

"Binging is a descent into a world where every restriction... is cut loose. At its core is a feeling of deprivation.. a feeling you can never get enough. Binges do not signify a lack of willpower or inability to care for yourself. On the contrary, binges are a urgent attempt to care for yourself when you feel uncared for. They are the voice of survival. Binges are the mark of the self that says, 'I am tired of feeling deprived, of being told I am wrong, that I am bad." - Geneen Roth
Wannabeskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.