Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-04-2014, 07:18 PM   #1  
Aunt to many Mom to none.

Height: 5' 6"

Red face Hungry all the time

I am on day 5 of no fast food. I always would eat a egg and cheese bagel with a diet coke from McD's in the am, and if I was working I would eat lunch/dinner out to. With that morning bagel I could go most of the day without eating. would have that around 7am and get hungry about 3. I did good the first 2 days. But now... I feel like I am starving all the time. I am trying to cut out the diet soda but that is harder then I thought.

I have had oatmeal and a banana for breakfast, today I had natural peanut butter on toast and a banana and it was a little better. had subway for lunch yesterday and a salad for dinner. and an hour later I was starving. I am at a loss.

I have fibromyalgia (a lot of the secondary issues that go with it), also depression and anxiety which are controlled by rx.
mrs_streams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:40 PM   #2  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I would be starving on that, too. Starch is not nourishing or filling. Try eating some hardboiled eggs, a nice salad, and a rotisserie chicken. Add an apple with peanut butter if you're still hungry. All of that would fit in the same calorie load as your average bagel and banana, with a ton more nutritional bang for the buck and more filling, as well.

Whole foods, with a focus on protein and fat first, is the wisest spend of calories. Bread products, not so much.

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 01-04-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 325/125/maintaining

Height: 5'6.5

Yes, add lean proteins to your meals and it'll help.
KatMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:01 PM   #4  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Yeah, get some protein in there and don't sweat about the diet soda. I eat a lot of eggs (boiled, poached, scrambled) and fish/seafood. Chicken and Turkey would do the job too...but not fried! You could try adding this stuff to your salad or substituting your toast for it.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:20 PM   #5  

2 scrambled eggs + sweet potato hash cooked in coconut oil. Best breakfast ever.
nextphase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:27 PM   #6  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

I've been adding a poached egg to my oats for breakfast, I poach it in the microwave, you can google how to microwave, I use a glass ramekin, about 1/2 full of water, crack egg into the bowl, poke the yolk a couple times w/a toothpick, microwave on 1/2 power for about 50 seconds, my micro is 1200 watts, so you have to figure out how long to cook for how you like your egg. Remove with a slotted spoon, mix in the oatmeal.

You can also mix peanut butter in your oatmeal for more protein.

You could also scramble an egg with cheese, I sometimes do that ahead and bring to work and microwave for a few seconds to warm them up. It's good to have some variety.

I eat a lot of eggs, too, we have chickens, so that helps.

Cut back slowly on the diet soda, if it's caffeinated, caffeine withdrawal can be horrid, trust me...

I sometimes bring an avocado with me to work and cut it up and mix it in my salad, I put the dressing on the greens in the morning because I like them wilted a little and then when it's lunch time I add something to it, like the avocado, or tuna or salmon or smoked oysters, depends on what you like, I use the same base and vary what I add to it so there's some variety.

Good luck to you, keep trying different things, you'll find something that works for you.

Last edited by kelijpa; 01-04-2014 at 08:42 PM.
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:39 PM   #7  
Finding Myself Again <3

S/C/G: 230/215/200

Yes! I couldn't agree more! Protein, Protein & Protein! It takes longer to digest so you feel full longer...I would have NOT gotten where I am without it for sure!
tadaponce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:39 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

Healthy fats and protein will keep you full, starches/carbs won't.

You have lots of great suggestions for food
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:49 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 140/140/120

Height: 5'1''

I'm hungry ALL the time too! So far I've been trying to eat six-seven times a day. Eating three meals with snacks in between, basically eating every 2-3 hours.

Try starting off breakfast with filling proteins and healthy grains like eggs, whole wheat toast, or oatmeal with fruit. I try to get in a good veggies-grains-protein ratio as well as dinner. Great snacks in between to help fill you up are nuts, low-fat yogurt, and pita chips with hummus. In my opinion, salads alone don't fill! Beef it up a bit with nuts and lean meat like chicken, fish, and go easy on the dressing.

As difficult as it is, try to cut soda completely out. When I was in my teens, I drank caffeinated soda as much as I possibly could and it really affected my weight. I transitioned from almost six cans of Mt Dew to three cans, then one can a day substituting orange juice. Soon I switched to heavy creamed and sugared coffee to low-fat milk latte with no whip, almond milk, and now it's black coffee or green tea. This took me a several months to achieve so take it one day at a time!
kimchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:07 PM   #10  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

If you're still struggling with not eating at fast food restaurants, you could do what I did and research on it...when I discovered exactly what was in the food and some of the horror stories as to how they prepared it, it was very easy for me to stay away.
NemesisClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:38 PM   #11  
diamondgeog

Even before I heard of the book WheatBelly by William Davis I instinctly knew I needed to cut out bread and pasta, even whole wheat.

Davis claims that modern wheat has certain modifications that vastly increase appetite. He doesn't claim this was intentional but an unintended consequence of trying to increase yields.

It seems like you have wheat a lot. I would try to cut that out and see if it helps. I also personally would not have a banana to start the day and definitely never a bagel or skip lunch.

I was hungry all the time also. I cut out fast food, junk food, and the pasta and bread. It was hard for a few weeks but now I am hunger free at much lower calories. Try to weather a transition period. Being hunger free is priceless and I never would have believed it last May.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:12 PM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Are you counting calories? How many calories are you eating?

I find that if I eat poorly for a few days that it is hard to go back to my normal schedule for the first week or so but then it gets easier.

Also, one thing to figure out is if your hunger is _hunger_ or if it is just a desire to eat. I think one of the things that helped me was learning to tell the difference between hunger and a desire to eat. It may take practice to tell between the two. If you are counting calories and find you are within your calorie range, you can try sipping on some tea and see if that changes anything. If you are still hungry then have a little snack like veggies + hummus, fruit + nuts/nut butter or something and see if that helps.

It may also help to keep a food diary where you track what you eat plus your hunger levels to see if you find any patterns.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:49 PM   #13  
aka Vicky

S/C/G: 275/Ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

I struggled the same way. My trainer actually told me I wasn't eating enough! A good snack (and source of protein) is Greek yogurt. I get the Dannon brand, nonfat (which isn't very sweet, so I put a bit of organic honey in it) and then raspberries...which are low in natural sugar and it will fill you up.

Definitely eat more lean protein, if you have a salad, add some lean turkey, etc. You can definitely find healthy options that aren't a ton of calories and can still be filling.
MaddiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote