3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Any tips for kicking the Christmas binge habit? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/291210-any-tips-kicking-christmas-binge-habit.html)

jynx 01-03-2014 06:06 PM

Any tips for kicking the Christmas binge habit?

This happens every Christmas. It doesn't matter how well I'm doing beforehand, Christmas just blows any healthy eating.

I'm sure most people trying to diet feel this way but for some reason this year feels even more hopeless than ever. I feel like it's triggered me into an eating frenzy and I'm so frightened of putting even more weigh on.

So, really not in the best frame of mind right now. Does anyone have any strategies they use when you really get into a poor mindset to "snap yourself out of it" and back into something that resembles a healthy eating routine?

Thanks in advance

3LMCM 01-03-2014 06:50 PM

This is a great question. How does one stop? I am basically lying to myself…"you're not hungry….you're not hungry" LOL It's probably not very healthy but it's really all that I can think of to help me stop. Plus, I keep thinking about how I want to be HEALTHY. I want to have kids and run after them and be with them for as long as I can. My good friend always says something that makes me giggle but is full of truth, "Health is Wealth". Without health we have nothing. :smug:

IanG 01-03-2014 07:55 PM

My trick this year was the following. A typical Christmas dinner (I am British living in the US) actually has some pretty healthy components to it. So this year, I ate the Turkey (lean protein) with the boiled veg and skipped the roasted veg. I also managed to avoid the Christmas pud but would have had that without the cream if pushed.

Booze is totally on plan for me (it doesn't affect my weight loss/judgement) so that was not a problem.

So it is possible to make healthy choices, even at Christmas.

But we all have to eat off plan every now and again, either through choice or necessity (e.g. certain restaurants).

So put it behind you, and get back on with the job!

ImImportant 01-03-2014 08:25 PM

I gained 12 pounds over the holidays and I'm just getting backon track. I'm down 6 and I have 6 more to go just to get back to my October weight.

One thing I have done is post a list of the good healthy food in the house, on the fridge. This way I have an idea of my meal or snack options before I open the door, being tempted to pick up some of the not so healthy choices. I included some treats on the list too, since I crave sweets. Now I think before I snack.

slimmersam 01-03-2014 08:47 PM

I put on a bathing suit every night and drink a glass of wine in the hot tub. I think of how far I have come to be in a bathing suit at all and it changes my train of thought. I have gained holiday weight also but you cant beat yourself up every time you eat something. I feel like we have similar stories as far as lbs go. Eat what you want but just a taste and then drink 3 glasses of water. I lost my first 20 lbs by drinking lemon juice cayenne and cinnamon with 8 oz water every day 3 times a day for 2 weeks.It helped me feel skinny even if the scale stayed the same. When you feel skinny you tend to eat less. So fill up on water

kimchi 01-03-2014 09:16 PM

I'm terrible with the holidays! I kind of go out of control with the "holidays don't count" mentality. Instead of thinking long-term, I think more of "One Day at a Time".

During the wintertime I also just naturally crave hot, hearty and decadent food. I've been taking small steps, substituting those types of foods for healthier ones, but still taste amazing. (instead of heavy pork chili with the fixins, I made jalepeno sweet potato and chicken chili with pita chips!) If you have a sweet tooth craving, don't deny it, snack sensibly! If fruit isn't cutting it for you, I love mini York Peppermint Patties at just 50 cals. They're easier to stop at "just one" because the chocolate and peppermint seem to sit on your tastebuds a lot longer than other mini chocolate bars.

Good luck, and don't beat yourself up if you slip up one day, just start anew the next!