Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #1  

Default Losing weight with gallstones??

I was diagnosed with gallstones yesterday. I didnt even see the film yet or talk with the doc (his office girl called, not even the nurse) just to tell me I need to see a surgeon. I'm gonig to pick up the films next week.

Anyway, I noticed the symptoms a few weeks ago while losing weight. When I went off my "diet" i.e. ate more, holiday treats etc..the symptoms subsided. I have had gallbladder symptoms in the past after each pregnancy while losing the weight.

I know weightloss can aggrevate gallbladder symptoms. I dont plan on having my gallbladder out asap, sadly enough for insurance reasons...

Has anyone managed to lose weight safely, knowing you had gallstones without any major flare ups?

Ugh..what a pain...it was my weight that got me into this situation to begin with...
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've had gallstones for nearly 8 years? I don't have flare ups unless I eat a higher fat meal, like something with a few too many nuts. Even then it isn't too bad. The really bad "I think I'm dying" ones occurred when I still ate meat and dairy. The last bad flare ip it had was about 7 years ago. I think though that eating a lower fat diet in general can help. I know there is a possibility that my gall bladder may come out one day but so far I can control symptoms with my diet.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 233/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

I've had gallstones for nearly 5 years and have learned to eat to avoid attacks. I too gave up high fat foods and stick with lots of fresh fruits and veggies. I found if I limit myself to 10-15 grams of fat per meal, I don't have the attacks. I stick with good fats such as avocados, nuts, olive oil. I've lost nearly 52 pounds by eating healthier. Occassionally I will indulge in a peppermint patty, but i've found that my stomach is now more sensitive to sugar and other foods such as potatos, pasta and rice. If you decide to keep your gallbladder, keep a diary of what you eat and how you feel. I did this for two years and it helped eliminate foods that do not agree with you.
seaurchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 345/see tracker/200

Height: 5'7"

I had gallstones for years before I even knew what the pain was and had my gallbladder removed. I lost a lot of my weight while I had gallstones and never had an issue with losing the weight.

I hope things work out with your insurance and you can get your gallbladder removed. I only had attacks occasionally but it was finally after a three day long attack that I had emergency surgery to remove it.
NYFLAgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #5  
I Will Because I Can

S/C/G: 167/130

Height: 5'6

I had my gallbladder removed last month. It was a quick recovery and feel SO much better. Eating a low fat diet helped me avoid major attacks.
OhThePlaces is offline   Reply With Quote