Any healthy drinks I could carry around?

• As I've mentioned before, I work in retail full time and have yet to adjust. A lot is being thrown my way that I'm just not comfortable with yet, due in large part to my anxiety. As a result, I've put on even more weight and I just keep eating.

What I'm wondering is, is there any kind of drink I could get hooked on that would be healthy for me? I ask because I need something to hook me mentally, to carry around, to kind of lean on and remind me of what my goals are. I'm thinking if I could get something that I know is healthy, won't overload me on calories, and that I can carry around easily enough in a water bottle at work, I'll feel more motivated to make other healthy choices.

And I don't mean water, I drink water. I just don't feel especially healthy when I drink it, I can just as easily drink water with several pieces of pizza. *sigh*
  • I like to fill up a large water bottle with ice, and add 1 ice cube that is made from lemon juice. Then I fill the bottle with water and enjoy the nice lemon taste all morning. Maybe something like that would work for you? Not water per se... but pretty close to calorie free with nothing artificial.
  • I have drunk Diet Dr. Pepper for years. (Don't get hooked on that!) As an alternative, I have been drinking water with Mio brand strawberry-watermelon flavoring in it, and I really like it!
  • Tea has health benefits -- green tea, particularly, gets good press recently. Perhaps an iced green tea in your water bottle would do the trick? Have to say, though, I really like that lemon juice ice cube idea!
  • There is nothing in the world like ice cold hibiscus tea. I buy the hibiscus tea in bulk at my local health food store and make up a huge batch of it. I sweeten it with a splash of Torani sugar-free raspberry syrup. It's soooo good. Has a pretty red color and is loaded with vitamin C and antioxidants.

Another good combo tea I make has a few hibiscus leaves, a Celestial Seasonings Raspberry Zinger tea bag, and a few fresh cranberries cut in half. Sweetened with the same Torani sugar-free raspberry syrup, but it's also delicious just with some Truvia. So amazingly good, and healthy! Yummm...
  • What about green tea!? It's supposed to do a bunch of wonders for you. Make it with honey & lemon it's actually really good cold to me anyways. Anything else I'd run the calorie count on it add up how much you'd be taking in it could end up hauling weightloss.
  • If you have a pinterest account, I would also suggest looking on there for further ideas. I often go there for recipe ideas and I've seen a few variations of 'detox' type drinks or teas and they tell you what the certain herbs or spices do.
    Occasionally, when I've been in the mood for a soda, I've drank zero calorie sparkling water with flavors or the Perrier / San Pellegrino water which I've added lemon to.
    I know some people who are fans of the crystal light flavor packets, but I have not tried them myself. They do have calories and just seem surgary and artificial, but I haven't read the label myself to know for sure.
  • Unsweetened iced tea is a great idea. They make all sorts of sugar-free flavors that are naturally sweet. Off the top of my head, Bigelow Perfect Peach, Lipton Vanilla Caramel Truffle, Lipton Blackberry Vanilla, and Lipton Harvest Strawberry & Passionfruit are naturally sweet and tasty.

You could also check out a drink called ICE. They come in all sorts of flavors and they are 0 sugar and low-cal. I prefer the lemonade ones.
  • Seltzer with lemon?

Iced tea without sugar additives, just plain old green tea. Lately I've been hooked on cinammon tea but I don't know what it would taste like cold.
  • I work retail, too (my condolences lol) and we are only allowed to keep water out "on the floor" which must be kept discretely from view. Being that we only get one 20 minute break if we work up to 6½ hours, I find I absolutely need some beverage while out walking around (I can't necessarily wait for breaktime to roll around before I am permitted to go into the breakroom and hydrate myself.)

I buy store brand water bottles and drink plain, room temp water, but for long shifts I do use a mix-in generic, individual portion "fitness" powder. I find if I use the entire individual pack it tastes uber sweet like a jolly rancher, ugh, so I use half of an individual pack per 17oz water bottle. One entire individual mix-in pack has only 5 calories, plus basically some b vitamins. Although it looks very slightly cloudy, it still pretty much looks like plain water in a bottle, which is great for camouflage and conforming to store policy. It gives it some taste which is helpful. I find it keeps me feeling energetic without the caffeine. You might like it!

What kind of snacks or food do you bring to work? My go-tos are protein bars, Greek yoghurt, and plain almonds. I'm too lazy to pack a real lunch, lol. Work has been a diet minefield this holiday season, what with the potlucks, chili-cookoffs, dessert days, etc. I walked into work last night and I kid you not, it was "bring your favorite side dish to work." I was all like really, are y'all serious.

Good luck in retail Very soon all of the stuff that seems overwhelming and new will just be second nature because of the repetition. This is a tough time of year to start retail, the toughest! Another few weeks (after the onslaught of returns are done) and we will be home free
  • I LOVE Poweraid Zero! It is 0 cal, 0 sug, and isn't sweetened with Aspartame, so thats a huge plus, and it tastes great!
  • I very much like club soda with lemon and/or fresh mint leaves. I love the bubbles of pop/soda, but not the calories! This combo is refreshing and healthy.