Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-15-2014, 04:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 333/T/190

Height: 5'4

Default Daily Net Calories Question

When you are logging both your calories and your exercise should your net calories never be below 1200?

I know that I should not eat lower than 1200 but I was confused and curious as to what other people do.

Please tell me how you do it on your journey!

Thanks in advance for all the answers!
abbysue715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:02 PM   #2  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I don't generally subtract out for exercise, but if I'm hungry I allow an additional protein snack. That's much easier and more reliable for me than playing silly, imprecise math games.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:09 PM   #3  

1200 is such an arbitrary figure, and given that calorie counts for foods themselves are pretty spurious I wouldn't worry about it. Do what feels right.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 333/T/190

Height: 5'4

I have been doing what I feel is best for my body but I was curious if anyone else paid attention. I have not actually tracked my calorie intake in quite some time. I have a fitbit now that I have been using primarily as a step counter. I just started tracking my calories on my fitness pal again because my weight has been coming off a lot slower and the two of them link with each other and give you a net calorie total.
abbysue715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:21 PM   #5  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

If i was counting calories, which i don't i wouldn't bother worrying about the activity cals. I'd be like arctic.

Its more or less what i do anyway. But generally you are better off eating a bit more to help prevent muscle loss and also to maintain a higher metabolism.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:16 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 192/160/137

Height: 5'4"

I use an app (my net diary) that guides me based on my activity, calories and goal. Sometimes I am a lot more hungry and other days I am not so I also listen to my body even when the app is giving me different advice. I usually have about 140-1600 calories and exercise too. Again just have to go with how I am feeling.
Sassyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:24 AM   #7  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

The simple answer to the question is no, you're fine to go below 1200 calories.

The more complicated answer is it depends on a lot of factors but the bottom line is if you go to low in calories, for too long, there will be consequences whether one is exercising or not.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:30 PM   #8  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

I was going to comment that I wouldn't go below that mark. But I also noticed that you've already lost 155 pounds! Good for you! You seem to have a good idea of what you need to do.

But, for what it is worth.... I do track both food and exercise calories. While I typically don't eat back all exercise calories, I'm using myfitnesspal and it is designed to put you at the correct calories to lose X amount of pounds per week. I just don't want to eat so far under the suggested calories that I don't have energy to make it through workouts and throughout the day. It won't help me at my job if I'm thinking about how hungry I am or how weak I feel. I want to lose weight, but I don't want to lose too much muscle mass. I want to come out on the other side feeling strong and fit.

But, as I said, you've done amazingly well!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:03 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 172/168/125

Height: 5'3

Wow! I've been noticing the progress of the members on this thread and I just had to comment on how well everyone has been doing on their journey. Congrats to all of you!
DodgeThis is offline   Reply With Quote