Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 12:24 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 174/167/145

Height: 5'8

I would love to join!
I just entered into the 160s when I got home for winter break! 3 weeks in now, and I'm at 167
I'm hoping to be at 165 before I get back to school (2 weeks), and then continue from there.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:36 PM   #32  
vix

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

I'm back to weighing in on Fridays as that's when I started so I feel more at home weighing in at the end of the week, my idea is that it gives me a boost over the weekend which keeps me away from bad things!

So I'm officially 159 today but I'll stick around here to make sure it's for keeps.

Have a great weekend everyone!!
Old 01-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #33  
Starting over

S/C/G: 195/185/140

Height: 5'3"

[QUOTE=vix;4910049]
So I'm officially 159 today but I'll stick around here to make sure it's for keeps. [QUOTE]

Wow! That's great!

Meganthemushroom--good luck on your goal! I'm betting you succeed

Speaking of gardening, I just received a seed catalogue in the mail. Time to start planning for spring! Shr1nk1ngme, do you grow mostly vegetables or flowers?

Not too much report here. I'm still in holiday mode as my kids are still home from school. Trying to get back to exercising and tracking my foods...

Hope everyone is having a good eating/exercising day!

Last edited by veggiedawg; 01-03-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:49 PM   #34  
Vegetarian, Low carb

S/C/G: 180/168.1/120

Height: 5'2"

I grow nearly 100% edible plants. I have a few herbs such as feverfew, echinacea, and calendula whose function is medicinal. Anything ornamental in my garden was planted there before I decided on a sustainable/self sufficient lifestyle.

Last edited by shr1nk1ngme; 01-03-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:09 PM   #35  
Vegetarian, Low carb

Vix sorry to see you go, but sooo happy that you are in the next decade now. Hope you hold on to your victory!

Gardenerjoy How's the maintenance going?

Welcome Megan! Hoping you will meet your mini goal and better.

--

My weigh in was 163.8 this morning. w00t! I am just in shock at how much more effective low carb is when combined with JUDDD. These results have made a believer out of me. And to think I was stalling on low carb, and I was eating less calories than I am now... JUDDD is my new best friend.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:05 PM   #36  
Starting over

Quote:
Originally Posted by shr1nk1ngme View Post
Vix
My weigh in was 163.8 this morning. w00t!.... JUDDD is my new best friend.
Way to lose!!!

Ok, I must ask-what is JUDDD?

And, seeing that you are in California, when you plant something such as a tomato plant--does it just keep on producing through out the year(s)? How often are you actually putting seed in the ground? Curious.

Last night was our family take-out night. I need to work on this. It's too easy to eat more that I (in my head) wish to. Darn you pizza!
Old 01-04-2014, 05:01 PM   #37  
Vegetarian, Low carb

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiedawg View Post
...Seeing that you are in California, when you plant something such as a tomato plant--does it just keep on producing through out the year(s)? How often are you actually putting seed in the ground? Curious.
I plant my tomatoes in mid-spring when it is consistently warm. Tomatoes like to produce in the hottest summer heat so I get a huge crop in late July/August/September and then they taper off. Determinate varieties die after their first fruiting, indeterminate varieties will continue to grow and fruit as the season progresses but the fruit is lesser as it gets cooler. I pull out all of my tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, etc. in October and start prepping for the "winter" planting. In winter I plant chard, kale, peas, beets, and lettuce (among others).

So I plant all spring long depending on the plant (some like to start after the last frost, others do better when it gets a little warmer) and then I plant again in Oct/Nov/Dec.

Some plants I grow from seed and for others I buy plants from the nursery because I am lazy. lol

Quote:
Ok, I must ask-what is JUDDD?
In addition to being a low-carb vegetarian, I am on a plan called JUDDD. "Johnson Up Day, Down Day Diet". You can Google it but I'm not sure I'm allowed to post the link here.

JUDDD is basically calorie cycling/intermittent fasting. You eat extremely low calories one day: it's a near-fast. Then the next day you eat a bazillion calories. For example, if my consumption is 400 on down days and 2000 on up days, it will average out to 1200 calories a day, but the cycling of fasting/feasting keeps the body from adjusting to a dietary set point.

Also I don't have to go on and on feeling deprived. If I have a difficult DownDay, I just remind myself that I can eat tons of food tomorrow. UpDay is coming! It works extremely well for me. When I eat 1200 calories a day I am just hungry all the time. On JUDDD I am only hungry every other day, even though the average is the same. Plus, I find that fasting has other benefits.

IMO JUDDD is best for low-carb because eating 2000+ calories on an UpDay, if carbs are involved, would put a huge stress on your insulin response. However, according to the author, the plan is designed to be useful for almost any diet/way of eating.

Last edited by shr1nk1ngme; 01-04-2014 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Added the bit about JUDDD
Old 01-04-2014, 10:03 PM   #38  

Hey all! Joining in to offer and also request support. Emotions plus old habits landed me at 167.4 from somewhere around 145 at the end of June 2013, so I have to get back on track. Good luck to all!
Old 01-05-2014, 05:03 PM   #39  
Starting over

Welcome kk2323! Are you on any certain diet? (low carb/calorie counting/etc?) Your avatar is so sweet! I love the smiles!

shr1nk1ngme: I read a little about the JUDDD. Those down days must be tough! Do you use meal replacements then? Any favourites?

Thanks for describing your gardening. I didn't realise you actually have 'seasons' where you are. Oh, I would love to be able to grow greens all year long. ((sigh)) I buy a lot of bagged salads...

It's going to be another carb heavy dinner here. DH is craving fresh pasta. I didn't have any carbs for lunch to try to balance it all out.

Have a great day ladies!
Old 01-05-2014, 05:23 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 174/167/145

Height: 5'8

Oh wow wow!
I overate on friday- big meals, lots of (salty, no-nutrient) snacks, and ice cream.
But Saturday and today were great! I visited a good friend in the city, and didn't wind up eating much when I was with him but we did a lot of walking and I got to spend the night with him which was great
When I got home, I weighed in and was at 165!
One more week before I head up to northern vermont for skiing (so I will be super active) and then back to school. Is it bad that I'm more excited for the semester than for skiing?
Old 01-06-2014, 12:52 PM   #41  
Vegetarian, Low carb

No weight change to report today. It's soooo hard after a brutal DownDay to see no resultant loss on the scale the next morning. But I had a lot of vegetable broth late last night and it was really salty so that's probably why.

Today is an UpDay so I am eating loads of calories. Looove up days!

Quote:
shr1nk1ngme: I read a little about the JUDDD. Those down days must be tough! Do you use meal replacements then? Any favourites?
No I don't do any meal replacements. I treat a DownDay like an almost-fast. I usually have coffee with soy milk for breakfast, a hard boiled egg, a cup of vegetable broth, and a GG's Scandinavian crispbread with Walden Farms strawberry jelly for lunch and then for supper I have 1/3 cup egg beaters scrambled, another cup of broth, and a sugar-free jell-o for dessert. I go SUPER low on my down days (160 calories) so I can eat like mad on my up days.

I make sure I take my vitamins every day, but especially on DownDays ~ and like many low-carbers I have to supplement fiber and potassium. I use "No-Salt" on everthing because it's basically pure potassium and it helps me make up the lack without having to take too many potassium pills. No-Salt brand salt substitute has more potassium than any other brand. I also take psyllium husks on down day (basically Metamucil) to keep things, ummmm, moving along. If the works get gummed up, that can significantly impact the scale. and skew my fat loss estimate.

Last edited by shr1nk1ngme; 01-06-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:36 PM   #42  
vix

Thanks for the congratz veggiedawg and shr1nk1ngme - I'll stick around this week yet, don't want to get carried away and have to come back with my tail (or should that be scale?) between my legs!

This JUDDD thing sounds interesting...But 160 calories in a day sounds super low, have you ever fainted or felt faint? I know I feel a little faint if I don't eat every four hours or so, I really don't think I could do that so well done to you for making it work for you!!

Last edited by vix; 01-06-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:57 PM   #43  
Vegetarian, Low carb

Quote:
Originally Posted by vix View Post
Thanks for the congratz veggiedawg and shr1nk1ngme - I'll stick around this week yet, don't want to get carried away and have to come back with my tail (or should that be scale?) between my legs!

This JUDDD thing sounds interesting...But 160 calories in a day sounds super low, have you ever fainted or felt faint? I know I feel a little faint if I don't eat every four hours or so, I really don't think I could do that so well done to you for making it work for you!!
My blood sugar is very stable because I have been low carbing for so long. I never get blood sugar spikes or drops: one of the advantages of long-term low-carbing. So I don't get faint just from a one day fast; my fasting blood sugar is usually about 85. When I start to feel unbearably ravenous, that's when I eat my HB egg, nice and slowly, with my bran cracker and broth, and I am just fine. The lower you go on your DD's, the more you can eat on your UpDays and the faster you lose weight, as long as you eat all the way up to the UpDay calories and don't try to cut back on UpDays, it all averages out. However, most JUDDDers stick with 350 - 400 on their DD's, and lower their UpDays commensurately.

You can visit the official JUDDD web site and check out the "How to do the Diet" page. There is a calculator about halfway down that page which most people who do JUDDD use to calculate their calories. I have been doing it a long time now so I feel more comfortable tweaking it.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:26 AM   #44  
Vegetarian, Low carb

Yeah down another pound (took me four days, but I'll take it whenever I can get it! Slow and steady wins the race, they say!

Today's an UpDay but I am going to be running around all day so I think all of my calories will be after 4 PM today.

How is everyone else doing?
Old 01-08-2014, 01:00 PM   #45  
vix

Well done shr1nk1ngme! So what do you eat on your up days? Is it anything goes or does it still have to be healthy?

I've never tried to cut out carbs, in fact I have a baked potato for lunch almost every day now I'm trying to eat healthier. Some people say they're bad but I've read they're full of resistant starch plus I combine it with olive oil and oily fish so apparently that makes them lower GI...I don't know if any of this is true but I definitely have less hunger in the afternoon and I'm able to stick to my 1200 a day and lose weight so it seems to be working for me - that's the main thing right?!

See you Friday for my weigh-in!!
Closed Thread