Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 378/tickers/145

Height: 5'4"

Question forgive your holiday crazies?

Hey all. I just wanted to know what you thought of this idea: I have to get back on the wagon, most people do around this time of year. And most people wait until January 1st, as my mother is. If you know that you have to get back on the wagon, but you also know that your family's gonna be around in the next two weeks and they're all big eaters that usually have a way of pulling you into their fun (i.e. eating), should you just forgive yourself ahead of time so you're not depressed all winter break?

That's what I wanna do, I just wanted to know if you all thought that was crazy. On one hand, that seems like a good way to reduce stress. On the other, it leads to infinite regress.
coolacrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #2  
Katherine

S/C/G: 283/280/172

Height: 5'10

I have been just trying to not get too carried away. I have been logging everything I eat. . . even if its not that great for me. Sometimes I have gone over the my calorie limit, but at least I know what I am doing. It helps me say "no" so I don't indulge again later.

I was really worried because my husband bought me a KitchenAid mixer for christmas and gave it to me early. All I have wanted to go is bake! And I know I should't because I'll just eat whatever fatting thing I make. We had a Christmas Party, and I made some cookies for it and I am proud to say that I only ate one and the others were safely transported to the party uneaten. I can't say the same for the left over M&Ms that went into the cookies though. *looks sheepish* But at least I logged those small diversions from the diet.

I have actually done a lot better this month than I thought I would. There have been several high sugar and fat meals that I have partaken in and I have still managed to lose quite a bit this month. My husband is trying to lose weight as well, and he is 100 percent behind the idea of a once a week cheat day. I'm not so much, because I've noticed that his 1 cheat day often turns into 2 or 3 cheat days. I think its okay to indulge once in awhile as long as you can get back on track the next day. Don't feel ashamed, what's life with out a little indulgence once in awhile?
kailpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #3  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

I'm pretty much not counting calories the next week or two. I'm just going to try to eat more vegetable based dishes and less sweets and fried foods than usual. Its not worth the stress.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #4  

Height: 5'8"

I'm a big believer in forgiveness in general. Mulling over something and getting attached to shame and guilt isn't going to produce anything productive, ever. Also, attaching shame and guilt with eating is just asking for trouble.

It's ultimately your decision what you want to do, as you're in control of yourself. If you decide that you want to eat in a similar way with others, then do so without any shame! What I sense from your post is that you're already feeling guilty about giving into what other people would want you to do and are actually asking permission from others if it's OK :-) You don't have to do that and you get to do what ever you want.

One of the post-it notes above my computer says "To feel good about yourself, you need to feel that you are in control of your life." It's true. With freedom comes responsibility, but that also means that if you decide to splurge during the holidays and it's not in alignment with your long term plans, then you'll just figure out how to balance it out afterwards. Eating outside of a general plan is not the same as losing control if you have planned what you're going to do and stick to it. Forgiveness only comes into picture if you are now determined that you'll stick to your diet and then in the moment give in to temptation. But that hasn't really happened yet, has it? :-) Do what *you* want to do and don't care what other people want you to eat. It's none of their business.
SparklyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 378/tickers/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklyBunny View Post
Forgiveness only comes into picture if you are now determined that you'll stick to your diet and then in the moment give in to temptation. But that hasn't really happened yet, has it? :-)
That's actually a pretty nice thought. Thanks.
coolacrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #6  

I'm eating clean this Christmas and I've eaten clean for the past two Christmases - I found that it was a lot easier than I assumed it would be and it feels really good too afterwards! As long as we do what we like, its only a few days, so no matter what we choose, it doesn't have to have a real effect long-term weight wise.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 272/See Ticker/140

I've found a few recipes that I can try for Christmas that are gluten free and sugar free. I made thin mint truffles the other day and squirreled them away for Christmas. I'm trying something with myself, I have a container of low carb no sugar added ice cream in the freezer. It is there if I NEED a treat and the deal with me is that I can't have it two days in a row. It's dumb I know, but I haven't dipped into it since my son's birthday last Friday.
lotsakids is offline   Reply With Quote