3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Small things that have changed my life (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/290403-small-things-have-changed-my-life.html)

lacunae2009 12-08-2013 05:27 PM

Small things that have changed my life

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to share a bit of my story. For a few years now I had been feeling ill, I would get daily headaches, feel very tired, feel depressed, I just did not feel healthy. I did get checked out by my doctor several times and everything was fine. I started to take oral contraceptives to "regulate" my hormones, wellbutrin for more energy and to help boost my mood. I was looking for more fixes. And then I tried exercising. I cannot tell you what a miracle it has been in my life. I feel soooo much healthier, I feel very happy, I have energy and I went off a lot of the unnecessary medications I was on. We get told that we should be physically active all the time but I did not really see the importance until I tried it myself. I feel like its a secret that I have discovered.

The best part is that I have not gone to the gym once (I hate the gym). I get my exercise by going for long slow or short fast walks, and doing cardio types of exercise at home when watching TV.

I have 2 more tips for weight loss which have worked for me. Whenever I want a treat, such as chocolate or something, I buy it, then go home and throw 75% of it away, eat the quarter very slowly. I figured that I should not think of it as a "waste of money" because it is not healthy food. This also satisfies my cravings.

Another tip for students. I have to study many hours every day and I noticed that moving my legs up and down as I read or getting up to walk around as I memorize details has not only helped with the weight loss but has also improved my concentration, kept me from feeling cold, and also stops me from feeling sleepy.

I just felt like to share this with you all because these little things are making a huge difference in my life.

CherryPie99 12-08-2013 06:11 PM

I'm glad you found something that works for you, but wasting food will never be part of my plan!!

lacunae2009 12-08-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CherryPie99 (Post 4896831)
I'm glad you found something that works for you, but wasting food will never be part of my plan!!

I totally understand where you are coming from. I do feel guilty for that as well. Instead you can also give that extra portion to someone else?

The point is, if I suffer a heartattack from being obese down the road, I am not going to think "well at least I did not pass up on the free donuts they gave us at work every day". Think of it as not wasting but spending on a healthier life.

pnkrckpixikat 12-08-2013 07:00 PM

I often did the giving away thing. Our cafeteria sells cookies in packs of four, I would buy the pack, eat one, and give the other 3 away

Sunnyserendipity 12-08-2013 08:45 PM

I give away food as well. I love, love, love chocolate but I love seeing my friends enjoy it just as much. Might as well share- less unhealthiness but still lots of happiness to go around.

CJinTX 12-08-2013 10:57 PM

I'm glad you've found things that work for you. That's been a big part of things for me.

I will never be able to throw food away, either!

Mrs Snark 12-09-2013 06:06 AM

lacunae2009 -- I'm glad you've found strategies that work for you!

I'm right there with you on the exercise, I exercise mostly for the happy high I get from it, it is a wonderful mood elevator for me!

And if throwing away 75% of a junk food treat worked for me, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'm glad you found a way to satisfy your cravings without overindulging!

Go you!

Palestrina 12-09-2013 08:33 AM

I have thrown food away when I thought I couldn't resist it. But I don't buy it in order to intentionally throw it away. I just buy a small portion.

tefrey 12-09-2013 11:07 AM

I have had to throw away a lot of food ... but I hate doing it. My husband is a professor so I usually give extra treats to him and he distributes them to the students in his lab.

I also find that if I buy something 'as a test of my willpower' and work it into my meal plan, I can usually handle having it in the house. By this I mean, I think long and hard before I buy them, and say something like, "three of these cookies add up to 100 calories. Thus, I can have three as a snack today, three more on Thursday, and the final three of Sunday. I need to learn how to handle non-plan food, and these cookies will help prove that I am stronger than my cravings."

If I do that, it usually works. If, however, I buy the same bag of cookies on impulse, I will devour them in one sitting.

I'm trying to train myself so I can have and enjoy a 'normal' serving and not lose control. It's hard as heck.

pixelllate 12-09-2013 11:51 AM

I've thrown out food and bought food knowing that I would throw out the portion cause I wanted the gratification of buying a full package. I don't do it anymore, but now I try to remember to go on sites like thehungersite or freerice to donate food online. Too bad I didn't do that while I was throwing away food!

happynottsgirl 12-09-2013 02:44 PM

I feel the same way about exercising. Sometimes I actually do it more for the mental benefits than for the weight loss.

Good luck on your journey!