3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Weight Loss Support

Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

6 months of creating new habits and a new body!

Old 12-01-2013, 04:02 AM   #31

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarabella View Post
I want to join in here too, 6 months is a great time frame for me to learn new habits on the way to my goals- and hopefully hit them too!

My ultimate goal is to lose 10kg and get down to 20% body fat. The behavioural changes I plan on making that will get me there, are

* to break my sugar addiction!
* to lift as heavy as I can reasonably 3x a week, starting with a full body workout and changing it after a month to a body part split.
* to eat 1400 calories a day
* to run for 30-45 minutes a day, 6 days a week.

My calorie level can be adjusted to 1400 net calories once I have lost the first 5kg and feel a sense of efficacy and achievement.

I might just check in occasionally with my weight loss or I might use this thread to be accountable with my food, and check in with what I ate/calories.

It seems like a there's a good vibe going here so go us!
Hey Tarabella! Good to have you here! :-)

Actually your second and third goals are rather similar to mine. My original goal was to do a upper/lower split twice per week (so four times in the gym in total), but it was one of those way too hefty goals that I tend to set myself. Also, I was struggling to find a good routine, because I intend to use the machines at first. I have hurt my back twice now doing compound movements, because I didn't focus and take it easy. So now I have a full body routine mostly with the machines and will intend to maximize strength before moving to another type of routine with more free weights and compound movements (and split routines).

I don't intend to eat 1400kcal every day, but it should be around that on average for the whole week. I do intermittent fasting and cycle both total calories and macronutrients. Since you move a lot, you might also benefit from at least one day per week when your calories are significantly higher and mainly from starchy carbs. Believe it or not, it actually helps with fat loss :-)
SparklyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:24 AM   #32

S/C/G: 228/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklyBunny View Post
Do join in! :-) Welcome!
Can I offer a suggestion? Be careful with the 1 week goal, as it's something that's not directly in your control.
You're right, SparklyBunny. I will have to think about something motivational and related to my overall health.
Paisleymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:29 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by busybeejelena View Post
I am wondering at what point can I start running? I used to run a lot,when I was skinnier, but now at this weight I am worried I will mess up my knees. Anybody has any idea about running rule of thumb?
I did C25K at 188lbs and it totally wrecked my knees BUT I have small, mobile kneecaps according to the Xray.

If you do start, which you should be able to, make sure you take it slow and wear the correct footwear.

I hope once I gain more strength and lose more weight, my knees will be able to support running again. I really enjoyed it
Old 12-01-2013, 04:43 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paisleymama View Post
You're right, SparklyBunny. I will have to think about something motivational and related to my overall health.
I'm on the same boat as you on that one :-) The problem I have is that I tend to set too difficult goals and just throw around some arbitrary numbers and it all feels so detached from reality. So I've decided that I first try to do something and if it seems to work OK, then after that I set it as a goal to continue doing that.

For example, I'm trying out if I could have Sunday as a day of fasting (I ate carb heavy foods yesterday, so my glycogen stores are filled and I have energy). I'd take it slowly, just drink water and tea and coffee, read books, meditate and do stretching. That's the vision I have. Now, if by afternoon I'm already feeling anxious about it, then clearly I need to try something different or get into it more slowly, but I have reached the goal of experimenting :-) This way there is no fear of failure and the stress that accompanies it.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #35

S/C/G: 250/ticker/150

Height: 5'5''

I would love to join

Over the next 6 months my goals are:

- No alcohol, I can have fun without it and it will make it way easier to keep up a healthy lifestyle without it.
- To start running, starting with the c25k (I used to run when I lived with my parents and I actually miss it).
- Finishing my degree and finding an internship.
- To count calories and not give up if I make a mistake.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:26 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuma View Post
I would love to join

Over the next 6 months my goals are:

- No alcohol, I can have fun without it and it will make it way easier to keep up a healthy lifestyle without it.
- To start running, starting with the c25k (I used to run when I lived with my parents and I actually miss it).
- Finishing my degree and finding an internship.
- To count calories and not give up if I make a mistake.
Welcome! :-) Great goals!

I will need to look up from somewhere some material for us on how to break down goals into smaller pieces. I know that David Allen's "Getting Things Done" breaks down everything into bite sized action items, but I'm curious how to start the process of breaking down a big goal into smaller pieces. In the meantime, it's best to just move forward doing the best you've got! :-)
Old 12-02-2013, 03:44 AM   #37

It's Monday again and my first week is done. I didn't manage to do anything about the exercising, but I'm being terribly forgiving to myself now as I did manage to get the diet rolling. I counted calories without too much fussing, did intermittent fasting every day (because it feels natural to me), ate at maintenance calories on Saturday (on purpose and it wasn't a binge) and am now coming to the end of my 36h fast (which doesn't feel that natural, but has health benefits; I didn't feel hunger though). Everything went well, I felt really great the whole week and I absolutely adore the Greek olive oil and the artisan bread I baked which I've been enjoying throughout the week.

I stepped on the scale and I'm down 4lbs, so that was nice. Especially considering that I didn't limit my carbs. That said, I did limit everything for Sunday, and so it's obviously not all fat. My scale's BF% still went down and I'm going along with it, because it's the only way for me to follow that particular goal. It may not be accurate, but it's as accurate as it can get with what I've got. My average calories for the week was 1203kcal per day, so it's quite a big deficit. I wasn't that particular with counting calories though, but I'll see the trend forming in the coming weeks. First week is a bit different always, and the reality will be more visible after the first couple of months, I think. Oh, and TOM started yesterday, so I was actually up on my waist measurements :-) I'm tracking weight, BF%, water%, waist, hips and average calories for every week.

So, good stuff. Except right now I'm kind of buzzing. Not hungry, but a bit spaced out :-)

Goals for this week is to get to the gym, even once! And to be more meticulous with the diet: paying more attention to the macronutrients and eating more fish. Or even just one of those things (the macros or the fish). Then the next week I'll do better again! :-)
Old 12-02-2013, 05:49 AM   #38

I just read this article and found it to be spot on as a reminder for certain types (like myself). It's about intermittent fasting but is relevant to anyone who tries to overdo diet and exercise practices right from the start.

Here's the part I wanted to share as an inspiration to those who want to reach their goals and see lasting results. Which is probably...everyone :-)

Quote:
I know it’s gratifying to think: “I’m gonna do my research, learn everything I can, adopt the perfect plan, and then I’ll crush this.” But that’s just your ego talking. And its eyes are much bigger than its stomach.

Under these conditions, people rarely ever crush it. Instead, here’s how it usually plays out:

You waste a lot of time reading books and “researching” on the internet. You’re looking for the perfect program and after precious days, weeks, months of inaction, you finally find it. Hurray!

You create a massive, all-encompassing, awe-inspiring action plan and begin to implement it. Out of the gate, you’re a total champ. You’re 100% disciplined and committed. Nothing can stand in your way. Cue the Rocky training montage.

After a few weeks, maybe a month, you notice tension developing. At work, at home, in your relationships – something’s happening. You’re having trouble sticking to the program you created. You lower your head and tell yourself, “It’s just for a little longer.”

By now, you’re either panicking or have succumbed to apathy. Your self-talk is on the decline. “I guess I’m not cut out for this. Maybe other people can do it, but they must not have a life. Me, I’ve got a job, a family, responsibilities. This is impossible.”

You can’t figure out what’s going wrong. Eventually, something’s got to give. The quest ends prematurely. (Or, in some radical cases, it doesn’t end, and you end up jobless and homeless, living in an old VW bus in Santa Monica, California.)

The sad truth is that it never had to happen this way. If you had taken the smallest, simplest action step available to you – even if it wasn’t the “perfect” one – you could have built some positive momentum. You could have built this new change into your life.

As your capacity grew, you could have added new, equally simple action steps. You could have built things up, one upon the other, slowly, steadily, all the way to the achievement of your goal – a goal you can now sustain because you’ve grown yourself along with the change.

Trust me, I know all about this. Every year my coaching program gets 3,000 fresh new recruits, all of them thinking they’re going to come in and – yep – crush this. Yet only the ones who allow us to hold them back, to do change as it’s meant to be done – slowly and steadily – actually crush the program.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:01 AM   #39
funny mummy

S/C/G: 166/148/145

Height: 5ft 6"

Thanks for posting that! goodstuff. Ive been logging all my calories everyday, becoming much more aware of what im eating and where ive slipped up before. I havent been perfect, but i'm not aiming for perfection. Im just keeping on going slow and steady in the right direction
Lilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #40
Struggling Dieter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklyBunny View Post
I'm an Aquarian :-) I use crude or shocking language sometimes just for fun or to make a point, but it's almost never intended to be negative or mean. And sometimes I just miss some of the connotations of the English words.
LOL I do that too and I'm an Aquarian....I just didn't realize it was a trait!

For those of you who want to run but are concerned about damage to your knees, try the elliptical if you have one available to you. It gives a similar motion to running without the pounding on the knees. I already have knee damage and can't run. Sometimes even walking on a treadmill is difficult. But I can do the elliptical without any problem.

Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #41
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

S/C/G: 320/Ticker/200

Height: 5'10

I had a baaaaad few days. My NUMBER ONE GOAL is to keep daily carbs undef 100 *sweats bullets*
Please excuse my typos and/or grammatical errors; I'm usually typing on my tablet

Goal 1: Get back to lowest weight

Fat won the last battle, It WON'T win the War. This is MY year!

SMSDREAMER2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:06 AM   #42

Sparklybunny - That's SO me. I research and research, jump in with both feet and eventually just...stop.
I am determined to successfully crush it this time though I've never been this weight without being 7+ months pregnant, it's crunch time.

So, my weekly goal is to exercise at least 4 days. I can do that & if I don't, I only have myself to blame.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:29 AM   #43

@Lilbert: that actually sounds perfect ;-) Seriously though, aiming for perfection will only lead to stress and since perfection isn't obtainable anyway, that extra stress is useless. Sounds like you're doing really well!

@Wannabehealthy: even though we might occasionally shock others, other people do have a way of making us feel totally embarrassed and out of place as well with certain things, but let's not reveal any more of that :-)

@Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny Dreamer: what's going on with the carbs then? Why did you have bad days? What happened?

@Paisleymama: you do realize the irony of what you just said? :-) If you regularly exercise 3 times per week right now, then fair enough. A goal of 4 times per week is reasonable. Just please don't fall into the trap of blaming yourself if you can't reach an arbitrary goal. Especially if feelings of shame or guilt will trigger unhealthy coping mechanisms.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #44

Note to self: when measuring stuff with the kitchen scale, do pay attention to the unit it's displaying.

I was wondering last Saturday how come the amount of pasta I was cooking was so heavy, but then thought that perhaps the problem is with my own judgment and believed the scale. It was in lb not in grams. So in reality I ate around 700kcal less last Saturday than I thought. I was totally oblivious to this and thought that I was well prepared for my Sunday's day of fasting... Oh well :-)
Old 12-05-2013, 06:07 AM   #45

Already working out at least 3 days, often 5.
What I meant is that I should be able to make that work unless I have an extremely good excuse
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.