Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #1  

Default Just not easily full?

And with that i still managed to lose all my weight but one thing i have found (actually knew it all along but it was magnified by the discipline it takes to manage my intake) is that i am just NOT like the "average" woman (i scoff at those Yoplait commercials with their 3 bites of yogurt servings) in that i just do not get full easily. i can out eat my husband and most women. I don't think it's that i'm always hungry, it's that i don't reach that "sated" feeling very easily unless it's with a lot of food. Anyone else like this?

I realize it's probably due to the hormone leptin? I've managed by eating LARGE salads, lots of lower calorie lower carb foods but i have a weekly "free" friday in which i eat anything and everything i want and boy can i pack away the food (idk if i'd necessarily consider it binging...)

I think i've always been like this however i was never overweight as a child or a young adult. I think that is what i truly wish, that a NORMAL amount of food would fully satisfy me...like a NORMAL person
3fcuser291505109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

You are not alone. I just did 23&Me for genetic research, and one of the results predicted, "You tend to overeat". That was a mild statement and yet explained everything!! Even when I was a skinny teen my peers were amazed about how "hungry" I was ~ it wasn't that ~ I just loved food!!
Inkrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

This is so true for me that I cannot have a no limits free day once a week without gaining. Even once a month can undo all my progress.

If I ate whatever I wanted, it could easily rack up into the tens of thousands of calories in a day (especially during pms).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #4  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i'm in the same boat....i can pack away an amazing amount of calories if i let myself...i'm not sure that i ever feel really "sated" unless i'm consumed a much larger than usual amount of food...i also think that i get my "senses" signals mixed up, like i want to eat when i'm cold or tired instead of saying "hey i'm cold, lets put on another layer" instead i dive into food....it's a work in progress
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
This is so true for me that I cannot have a no limits free day once a week without gaining. Even once a month can undo all my progress.

If I ate whatever I wanted, it could easily rack up into the tens of thousands of calories in a day (especially during pms).
Yeah frankly i don't know HOW i do it...maintain my loss. I eat probably upwards of 5000 calories or more on Fridays and i stopped cal counting a long time ago, i just eat basically the same menu throughout the week. The free friday keeps me going (although i love the good, healthy foods i eat during the week just as much)
3fcuser291505109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 69kg/65/60

Height: 5ft

I used to be like this. I used to eat and eat and just keep eating for the sake of it, not feeling full. I wondered if it was hormones or something to do with my genetics, but after being on WW for almost three months now, I've realised I was just eating too darn much without thinking and now that my stomach has shrunk, I can feel when I'm full. But I did watch a doco on TV where some overweight people are missing a (hormone?) that allows them to feel when they are full.
happybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #7  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I have major surges in hunger where I feel like a bottomless pit (of despair...hehehe, couldn't resist a Princess Bride reference). Anyway, I just found out that I have an enlarged thyroid (via ultrasound) and am going to see an Endocrinologist who will hopefully help me figure it all out. Sorry to make this about me, but I think sometimes there could be an underlying medical issue.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #8  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Man here.

I am not easily full. This is why eating small meals every 2-3 hours drove me absolutely insane. I was always hungry.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:37 PM   #9  
diamondgeog

Depends on the food for me. I used to be go to Red Robin aka bottomless fries paradise. Or hades depending upon your viewpoint.

In any event I said hey can I get my first fries order for an appetizer. Yep, started the fries before the burger. Then 3 to 5 more orders.

But chicken wings I can only have say 10 of even if they are very good. Potato chips I used to down a whole bag. It was quite literally that carbs did not register. Could I have eaten 10 orders at Red Robin? Probably? I had messed up my whole insulin system I am sure. I just thank Gaia I never became diabetic. And I am not about to blow that gift now.

Red Robin is firmly in the rear view mirror.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:09 AM   #10  

S/C/G: See ticker!

Height: 5'0

Same here. I am rarely ever full unless I eat an insane amount of food like on thanksgiving (even then I'm ready to eat again after another couple of hours). My appetite has no off switch, so I just have to learn when to stop, which has no doubtfully gotten me here in the first place.
Samantha18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:21 AM   #11  

S/C/G: RS:164/130/130

Height: 5'3

I always wondered if it was to do with your stomach stretching or something, like, eat loads for a few days then start counting calories. Horrendous, cause your stomach is all stretched out from all the food you were eating. But then, after small amounts of food for a week or so, it starts feeling better because your stomach gets smaller.

I have no idea how true, if at all, that is, but it's what I think about when I feel like that!
Leaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:34 AM   #12  
Living in the moment!

S/C/G: 252/242/150

Height: 5'3"

I am the same way. I remember going with a friend to a really nice restaurant that had a five course dinner. She was complaining by the third course how miserable she was. I was excited about the next course. I thought, "There is something wrong with me!".

Kenda
Kendah72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:09 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReillyJ View Post
I don't think it's that i'm always hungry, it's that i don't reach that "sated" feeling very easily unless it's with a lot of food. Anyone else like this?.... I think that is what i truly wish, that a NORMAL amount of food would fully satisfy me...like a NORMAL person
Yup, that's totally me. It irritates me to no end when I'm having lunch with a friend and she claims to get full after a few bites. Like, seriously??? Even now, after losing 50 pounds and maintaining the loss for almost 2 years, I can go to an all-you-can-eat sushi place and pack away 3,000+ calories in a meal. It takes A LOT of food for me to feel that I don't want to eat anymore.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote