Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #1  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Question What to do when your chair is too big?

Yesterday, my back started hurting. While I was trying to get comfortable in my office chair it dawned on me that my chair is too big for me now! It fit when it was bought a few years ago. Now it is too deep for me so it does not support my back, hence the back pain. The arms on my chair are loose because for years I was so big that my hips pushed on the chair arms. I have extra space between me and the chair arms and it is uncomfortable to rest my arms.

While I am sure that my supervisor will be glad to get me a new chair, I want to wait until I think I am finished losing weight. I can't go through office chairs like I do clothing sizes! Also a new smaller chair will help motivate me to maintain.

In the meantime, I need to adapt my chair. This morning I brought a small pillow to fit in the small of my back and it seems to help. I am using a couple of old books as footrests trying to sit comfortably. I am not sure why weight loss would make my feet dangle but they do. I need to buy some type of back support for my chair but am not sure what to get.

Has this happened to any of you? What type of back support did you get?
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:26 PM   #2  

You're a short woman, as am I. If you can't lower the chair far enough to allow your feet to rest flat on the floor, a stool is a must. Every chair I sit in has a stool in front of it! I rarely rest my back while sitting. If that's what you've always done, it's possible you're simply suffering from muscle fatigue. Over time your back muscles will compensate and I doubt you'll notice it (I never do). The same holds for the arm rests, I think.
earthecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

Wow! What an unusual NSV! First, congratulations on the weight loss. With 30 pounds to lose to reach goal, the type of chair that would be purchased now would probably still be fine once you're at goal.

I know you asked for advice on how to adapt the one you have. Personally, I'd ask for a new chair. Overall, it's good for you in terms of reducing/eliminating the back pain, but it's also good for the company. If you're uncomfortable, it's hard to work at your peak. A new chair seems like it's definitely in order. Also, you said that the current chair is several years old. Chairs -- particularly in an office environment that get used for several hours every day -- need to be replaced periodically. Sounds like it's time to make a change for several reasons.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote