Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #1  

Default Suggestions on weightloss accountability...

I need someone to monitor my progress and hold me accountable. Someone I can meet once a week, and they will review my food journal, have a weigh in, an exercise journal/my workouts, and make sure I'm doing what I need to do. Also a small session to talk about any issues would be good, sinceI have a history of ED. When I do start to follow a diet plan, I often get out of contrrol and start over restricting / starving myself. I dont want to do that either.

I don't need a personal trainer, or someone to plan my workouts. I don't need someone to give me meal plans or nutritional advice, so a nutritionist wouldnt be it. Just a someone to hold me accountable. Group setting are not ideal because its too easy to melt into the group, like WW.

I'm not really sure where to go. Any suggestions?
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #2  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

Hmm.. how about a weight loss or a regular life coach, since you don't need someone to approve or create your diet/exercise plans?

Another idea is to find a buddy through the 3FC site with whom you could share your diet & exercise journals (something that could be done via google docs, for example), and perhaps organize a weekly weigh-in via a skype call or something of the sort?

In both cases, I wonder if a session or two with a counselor might also be helpful to help talk about past ED issues.

Good luck! I hope you find the right person for you!

Last edited by belovedspirit; 10-21-2013 at 10:39 PM.
belovedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:20 PM   #3  
Living in the moment!

S/C/G: 252/242/150

Height: 5'3"

I agree about the counselor. I have been seeing someone to help me work through the underlying issues which cause me to make such poor choices when under stress or anxious. I think many folks who are overweight don't just have physical issues to deal with, but could benefit from someone to discuss the other reasons for their eating habits.

On a non-professional level, are there others in your work place who want to lose weight and become healthier? We are doing a weight loss challenge in my office. We put $5 week in a pot, and every four weeks the person who has lost the highest percentage of their body weight wins. Nice incentive!

Kenda
Kendah72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:33 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/172/150

Height: 5'2"

Have u tried calorie counting sites like My fitness pal. It has worked wonders for me and i made a lot of friends to keep me accountable. They do not hesitate in giving a kick in the rear in case i am slagging.
iamritu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I went to a nutritionist/RD who focused on eating disorders. She had talk therapy (and sometimes homework) along with blind weighing and review of meals with suggestions.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #6  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I know you said a group setting wouldn't be ideal, but weekly TOPS meetings might be worth looking into. Each chapter is different because of the way the organization is run and it's a much more informal setting than WW, so you may feel less lost in the crowd. It also may give you a good chance to make a few friends with very similar interests to help you stay accountable every week.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

If you don't need meal/exercise planning or nutrition/fitness advice, it sounds like you just need a weight loss friend, someone you can talk to and trust with your feelings, someone who cares enough about you to keep you on track and to tell you the truth even when you aren't really in the mood to hear it. You might be able to find someone like that here. There are so many nice, caring people here who know what it's like to struggle with weight loss. You just need to find someone you really click with. You could even help keep each other on track. I have no doubt there are ladies here who would like that kind of relationship with someone. The tricky part when it comes to an online community like this is finding someone who is in it for the long haul, who won't disappear on you, and who has no interest in gossip and will keep your confidence as a friend. Because of that tricky part, you may prefer a professional, a life coach, a therapist who specializes in weight issues. Of course, that probably comes with "assignments" and "homework," but if a professional is what you are looking for, I'm sure you can google "weight loss coach" and find one that way.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:13 PM   #8  

Thank you everyone for replying. I have been googling weightloss therapists/coaches and cannot seem to find any in my area, althought I have only done some quick searches as of now. I did go to a nutritionist once, but she wanted me to follow her plan, and I want to follow my own. I have been at this and have loss a good amount of weight after each baby so I don't need direction as much as support. Because of my insurance, my copays are $50 for any therapists, which is really what I would like. I wonder if a therapist would be willing to see me monthly? THe other issue is in the past I have seen therapists and they are all so nice and understanding! This is no joke, I have a very strong personality. If I know the person I'm reporting to is going to be like "its ok, you can try harder next time" I'm just like whatever....I need the intensity and push of a personal trainer...I need some time on the biggest loser ranch! lol But like I said I need someone to hold me accountable for eating (mostly eating) and exercise, not someone to create my workout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqui_D View Post
The tricky part when it comes to an online community like this is finding someone who is in it for the long haul, who won't disappear on you,
This is why I have stopped searching online. I had many times over my years here where the other party flakes out. I'm so done with fly by night website members that disappear a few weeks in...or like 2 days in are telling me how they went off plan..and again..and again...I'm pretty competitive so if my partener (opponant) sticks ot it, I will, but if ever other day they are cheating and bake sliding, I start to lose focus too...

I looked into tops. I want to try it out, only the local group meets during my sons karate time (of course) so I cant go. I was thinking of reluctantly going back to WW. At least its SOME kind of accountability with the weight-in...

*edit- wow lot of typos. Edited to say that, not fix the typos..

Last edited by GlamourGirl827; 10-22-2013 at 05:20 PM.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote