3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   How do you deal with parties? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/288697-how-do-you-deal-parties.html)

FickleHearts 10-16-2013 11:20 AM

How do you deal with parties?

So today is Boss's Day and my company threw a giant reception in the lounge. Everyone brought some of my favorite dishes and everyone is eating around me. I'm abstaining, because I've done so well lately, I'm afraid one mess up is going to push me off the deep end.

They even have Rhonda Cake. She's a local out of her home baker that makes the best sheet cakes ever. :(

There are some healthy choices, like a veggie tray and fruit, but how do you all deal with days like this? At the moment I've swigged down a cup of green tea and am chugging water, but the smell in this place is driving me batty!

And to top it off, my co-worker wants to celebrate National Chocolate Cupcake day on Fri.... I think I just need to stage a workplace revolt. They are part of the reason I gained so much! They are all good cooks! :D

Lunch time can't get here fast enough.

Munchy 10-16-2013 11:34 AM

For that kind of workplace event, I usually just chew gum and focus on conversation with others. If I was really hungry, I'd have lunch early...just like today, it's 11:30 and I'm finally eating my breakfast!

Just stick to whatever you planned and brought. :)

freelancemomma 10-16-2013 11:52 AM

How do I deal with parties? The short answer: not well. The longer answer: not well at all, especially when gourmet food is on offer. I'll be interested in hearing what others have to say.

F.

nextphase 10-16-2013 11:57 AM

I deal by having a little taste of the one thing I like the best. But I'm not on a super-restricted eating plan (e.g. no sugar or no carbs) and I don't have the most addictive personality when it comes to food. So, a little is OK with me.

If a little is not OK with you, have some crudite, say "no thank you" to the cake (& Friday's cupcakes) and spend only a little time at the party.

time2lose 10-16-2013 12:27 PM

I have tried several ways of handling these types of parties. I wish that the "have a little taste of the most appealing items" method that I tried many times had worked but ..... it didn't. It just got me started.

The "find a reason to be out of the office" method did not derail me but was not ideal either. If I am feeling vulnerable, I may use this one again, especially the times that they decide to have a food spread right outside my office.......... all day long.

My "eat the last piece of cake" method was not too terrible but I had to be really strong afterward.

I guess the best method I have tried so far is a 3 prong attack:
1- Decide in advance what I am going to do. Giving myself options usually leads to trouble.
2- Make sure that I am not hungry before it starts.
3-Take a food item that works within my plan, put it and any other healthy choices on a plate and then concentrate on being social.

Hang in there!!

Secret Swan 10-16-2013 01:11 PM

We have a lot of food at my office. I work with great cooks! If it's just that someone made brownies or something I usually just tell myself no. If it's our monthly birthday potluck, I plan for it (I'm a calorie counter), try to guesstimate calories as well as I can BEFORE I load my plate, and try to choose the most worth-it thing. Then I make sure to exercise.

Non-work parties are more of a problem. I went to a baby shower this weekend and they'd made these gorgeous cakes. They looked like Legos! And there were cake pops that looked like Lego heads. I don't like cake and I was planning to cook porketta for dinner, so I just didn't have anything, but I know my friends spent a lot of time on that and it felt rude not to try them when urged. And they only had punch to drink! I can see that this will be more of a problem through the holidays, and I am not sure what the best course is.

Inkrid 10-16-2013 01:26 PM

I take it AND leave it. Fill up your plate, cut the verboten stuff in half (to give the illusion of "This is great! Yum!!") and in reality only eat the healthy stuff. This is good for the food pushers.

Anyone who doesn't care, fill plate with healthy stuff.

If there are no options, or you're going crazy, put a napkin on your plate (message "That was all so amazing, but I'm DONE! Yum!"), go help in the kitchen, help clean, help serve, go in another room, go outside to talk on your phone, etc. Be where the food isn't.

Also, a drink in one hand and a plate (even empty) in the other, signals, "My hands are full" and people will leave you alone.

Or, be totally honest (i.e. "My doctor told me to lose weight, and what I'm doing seems to be working, so maybe next time!")

belovedspirit 10-16-2013 02:05 PM

I am still learning how to handle these. It seems what may be working best for me is to decide in advance what I am going to do.

My approach:

There are several kinds of occasions involving food: the planned (ex. holidays, birthdays, celebrations, etc.) and unplanned (impromptu). For me, it helps to have contingency plans for the unplanned, and to think about each planned occasion before it comes up.

For the planned events, I will literally sit myself down in advance and ask myself what foods are likely to be present, what I want to do in the context of where I am with my weight loss, whether I will be able to jump right back on plan afterwards (I find sugar addictive), what I want to do to remain socially graceful and pleasant, and what non-nutritious/unhealthy foods I'm willing to eat. I think about it, I weigh the pros and cons, and I decide on an approach that will make me feel fulfilled and not deprived, and also good about taking care of myself plus maintaining social graces.

Sometimes, this means telling people I need to turn down sweets because I find sugar addicting and it's a genuine problem for me. Sometimes, it means trying a little bit of something, or a regular serving. Sometimes it means avoiding that food area altogether and making sure I have something else to focus on (mentally, physically, etc.) -- perhaps reminding myself of the workout I'm going to do at the end of the day, or a piece of clothing I finally fit into the day before, or why I'm losing weight, etc. Or saying I'm not hungry. Or bringing my own healthy addition if it's a potluck (or inquiring about what's on the menu in advance and suggesting something healthy that most people find tasty like fruit, veggies, etc.). Having a drink on hand (whatever being's offered or a mug of your own) also helps to avoid looking empty handed, especially if you're in conversation with someone.

I hope this might offer some ideas! And I hope the people around you are open to everyone not partaking in the food-aspect of the celebration. Either way, hang in there and good luck! You can get through the day, and stay the course!!

belovedspirit 10-16-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Secret Swan (Post 4863852)
We have a lot of food at my office. I work with great cooks! If it's just that someone made brownies or something I usually just tell myself no. If it's our monthly birthday potluck, I plan for it (I'm a calorie counter), try to guesstimate calories as well as I can BEFORE I load my plate, and try to choose the most worth-it thing. Then I make sure to exercise.

Non-work parties are more of a problem. I went to a baby shower this weekend and they'd made these gorgeous cakes. They looked like Legos! And there were cake pops that looked like Lego heads. I don't like cake and I was planning to cook porketta for dinner, so I just didn't have anything, but I know my friends spent a lot of time on that and it felt rude not to try them when urged. And they only had punch to drink! I can see that this will be more of a problem through the holidays, and I am not sure what the best course is.

I hear you! It's hard to say no sometimes if it's a unique event and the organizer put a lot of effort into it. I'm also often curious about trying new things, so novelty dishes are something I have tended to crack on. :dizzy:

As far as the drink goes, is asking for water an option?

ILoveVegetables 10-16-2013 02:43 PM

What helps me normally before a party or going out with friends is that, for example, if it's for dinner, I'll eat dinner at home before going. Then at the party itself, I'll take a little food and push it around my plate for ages.

Also, what Inkrid said about having a drink in one hand and a plate in the other is great too. You can't eat much if you have your glass in one hand all night. Just be careful not to drink your calories instead.

Elladorine 10-16-2013 02:48 PM

When a party is planned, I bring my own fancy salad to share, regardless of whether or not anyone was asked to contribute their own dish (my salad has actually gotten popular among my friends and family because of this, and I'm now pretty much expected to bring some, lol). Then I take a big plate of that first, then refuse to feel guilty over sampling a few of my favorites on one more plate. :D

ggbsy 10-16-2013 02:56 PM

Thankfully I am not a party or social person, so I dislike eating with others, I do my eating alone because that is the way I enjoy it. The only times I feel tempted at a party are when I am so tired of people and the party itself that I have to eat just to be able to cope with the party situation.

I think what would work for me would be first to eat something healthy before the party so I won't be as hungry, and second to promise myself a nice super enjoyable meal once I get home. Oh and third, drink lots of caffeine!!!

FickleHearts 10-16-2013 03:22 PM

I've managed to make it till 3. I've had much prodding to eat, which is partly annoying but they mean well. :)

Husband brought me lunch and I brought him a piece of cake. I ended up eating just a sliver of cake myself with my lunch, just enough to get a small taste really. Added it to my calories for the day and if needs be, I'll just do an extra few on the elliptical.

Other than that..... I'm really proud of myself for ignoring the temptation! I should have been more prepared, but I completely forgot they had this planned. Oh well....

You all have great suggestions! We had no b-day parties this month, but next we'll have one plus the company Thanksgiving. Ugh.... I would have gladly partaken today, but it seems like every other week we're doing something in here to celebrate something or another. I can't afford that many days of cheating.

AngieRR1022 10-16-2013 04:24 PM

yeah, my company celebrates a lot, too. So many sweets and catered meals and potlucks. I avoid all of them. I bring my own food and sit at my desk and be antisocial no matter what anyone thinks. It's better for me that way. :)

Dreamer2012 10-17-2013 06:11 AM

Any parties I have coming up where I know there will be a lot of foods, I plan for them. I try be good for the rest of the week and on that day, I would allow myself to a some of the foods. In my opinion, it's not the end of the world to have an off day (one that has been planned too) and then get back on track the following day. I have a birthday on Saturday where I'll have a few drinks so my aim for this week was to be good with my food choices because I know on Sunday I'll be up from the alcoholic drinks.

I do understand though that some people would fall off the wagon and just continue that bad streak.