Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/130

Height: 5'2

Default Clothing changing your shape?

I know this sounds stupid, but just wanted to know, is it possible for workout clothing that you wear to change your shape? It sounds ridiculous as I type this, but I'm asking because I wear a very fitted exercise bra I wear when I'm working out and I feel like at the end of the bra my waist goes in a lot more than it used to (right where the bra ends) can't tell if it's because because of my bra or losing weight.

I know it partially has to do with the weight, but then I started it is really caves in more there? I don't mind because I want a smaller waist anyway, but I don't want random lumps everywhere either.

Anyway, sorry if this is a dumb question!!! Just had to ask because it was on my mind. Thanks guys
hhm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #2  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Well, I suppose it's possible if the bra is really really really tight and you wear it over and over and over again -- as in, think of how the ancient Chinese used to bind girls' feet in order to make them appear smaller. Their feet eventually got totally and permanently deformed from the treatment.

Short of that, it's probably just how you are losing weight. I'm sure everything will even out.

No question is a dumb question.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 150/150/125

Height: 5'5"

I could be wrong but you know how people wrap themselves with saran wrap in order to lose quick inches? It has something to do with the fluid that sweats out in the wrapped area and it makes you temporarily have lost inches. It's all water weight and comes back though... so I'm guessing it's something similar?
iixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #4  

Ohhh I see, didn't think about that! Is it the same idea when people wear corsets for an hourglass figure??

It's really weird because the caving in part is right where the band is, not a big deal or anything but hopefully I still lose weight proportionally lol

Was just curious to see if anyone else had experienced this. Thanks guys
Old 09-04-2013, 10:31 PM   #5  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I don't have any scientific answer, just wanted to say, there is no dumb question!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:18 AM   #6  

What you're experiencing is fluid loss due to compression. It's identical to the treatment method used for treating folks with edema.
earthecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthecho View Post
What you're experiencing is fluid loss due to compression. It's identical to the treatment method used for treating folks with edema.
Interesting! So if people wanted a more hourglass figure would wearing tighter fitting clothing (in the waist area) help? I used to wear girdles all the time because I hated my stomach but I felt like I had pushed up the fat into my back and arms, I know sounds strange but it really looked bad after I would take the girdle off.

I was looking up people who wear corsets, and it seems like they do something similar? although I would never want that small of a waist, I would like my waist to shrink by a couple more inches!
Old 09-05-2013, 10:28 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhm6 View Post
Interesting! So if people wanted a more hourglass figure would wearing tighter fitting clothing (in the waist area) help? I used to wear girdles all the time because I hated my stomach but I felt like I had pushed up the fat into my back and arms, I know sounds strange but it really looked bad after I would take the girdle off.

I was looking up people who wear corsets, and it seems like they do something similar? although I would never want that small of a waist, I would like my waist to shrink by a couple more inches!
I'm interested in this as well. I know that prolonged wear can weaken the abs and back. I was wondering also if the waist trimmer belts would help me whittle my middle. My waist is a big issue and doesn't seem to be changing much at all when I do measurements. It is making dress shopping a daunting task.

From all I read the waist trimmers are worthless and do not make a difference. I wonder if anyone here has any experience with them?
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:43 AM   #9  

Just wanted to add, I was talking to a friend last night about this. She isn't thin, not fat, somewhere in the middle maybe borderline chubby, but she was telling me she has a "natural" muffin top..

I originally thought muffin tops were formed by wearing tight pants? not something you would naturally have...still a little confused about this!!

Anyway, I was a little confused but she told me wearing really tight underwear and jeans when she was young is was what gave her the muffin top. She also has this bend in both upper arms and it was from wearing tight sari blouses when she worked in India. I didn't say anything, just listened, but can clothing really change your shape like that?? I mean over the years of continuously wearing things that tight? I'm so confused.

Guess I'll just have to lose weight and see what I look like lol, but just wanted to share and see if anyone else had an experience like this?