Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-31-2013, 04:27 PM   #1  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

Default *Music* Dun dun dun! The B word...

No, not THAT B word! I meant the other one...you know, bikini. Having never, even at my lowest weight, felt comfortable enough to wear one, there has still always been a small part of me that wanted to. Just because. Now, I'm not one to show a lot of skin or dress trashy or anything. I'm not talking some string/floss monstrosity that makes you pretty much as good as naked anyway, you know, the kind that you see and think "Hmm, why did you even bother? You're pretty much nude." But these days there are some "retro" bikinis on the market that are a fair bit more modest and very cute. There is even the "Fatkini" for girls with a bit more they want to conceal.

So I guess in all my ramblings I was just wondering if anyone else felt this way and if anyone here actually ACCOMPLISHED the goal of wearing a bikini in public and not feeling horrified? Someone who lost a significant amount of weight, not just 10 or 20lbs? I say that because in previous conversations about this subject I've gotten far too many skinny girls who looked good in the bikini to start with, but claim they are *fat* then lost 5-10lbs and think that qualifies them to understand where *I* am coming from, being an actual fat gal and trying to lose weight. What I'm getting at, is that I am working on my own confidence to do something I wish to do, despite what others may think.

Last edited by MauiKai; 09-17-2013 at 10:33 AM. Reason: additional info
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiKai View Post
So I guess in all my ramblings I was just wondering if anyone else felt this way and if anyone here actually ACCOMPLISHED the goal of wearing a bikini in public and not feeling horrified? Someone who lost a significant amount of weight, not just 10 or 20lbs?
I'm 56 and I own -- and wear -- three bikinis. Not the G-string type, but not the fat-girl type either. I lost 50 pounds two years ago and now feel quite comfortable in a bikini, though I sometimes wonder if people are privately tsk-tsking. ("What? At her age? Who does she think she is?") Go for it, girl, is what I say.

Freelance
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:12 PM   #3  
*Shakes fist at regain*

S/C/G: 150ish/ 114 / 109

Height: 5'

I wish I weren't like this, but I'm too much of a perfectionist with myself to wear a bikini.

I lost 40-50 pounds a few years ago. I was in my best shape as an adult last year (toned and a few pounds lighter than I am now), but even then I was too self-conscious. What prevents me from wearing a bikini is cellulite. I have some on the back of my thighs. It's not even that bad, but I feel so ashamed about it. Last year, I was doing lots of lower body exercises and my cellulite was almost totally gone, but b/c it wasn't completely gone, I wouldn't wear a bathing suit without shorts.

I hate that I care about this so much. I see women showing more cellulite in public without any apparent embarrassment and I admire their self-acceptance. I know my attitude is unhealthy, I just can't seem to shake it. I would never hold anyone else to the standards to which I hold myself, yet I keep doing it.
crispin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:05 PM   #4  

Location: Anchorage AK in the summer, Lawrence KS and travel in the winter

S/C/G: High 285+ 256/ticker/160ish

Height: 5'6"

My bikini days are over. I can accept that. Except for a time in my teens I was more of a tank suit kinda gal anyway.
vintagecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:51 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Having been fat my whole life I never wore a bikini as a teenager.

As a 40 year woman after 228 pounds I bought my first bikini.

I own 3 and wear them all the time. My body is far from perfect, but I rock them proudly - stretch marks and all!!

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:52 PM   #6  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I'd love to get to that point, but I'm not there yet. Maybe by next summer.

First I'd like to feel comfortable in a swimsuit that doesn't have a skirted bottom. .
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

I say go for it! shop around and find one that works for your body.

Even at this weight I wear tankinis because I like the freedom of not having to strip all the way down to use the restroom.
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:48 PM   #8  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

-

Last edited by sontaikle; 07-12-2020 at 06:51 PM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:00 PM   #9  
Hi there

S/C/G: (HW 215) 208/T/145

Height: 5' 5"

I bought a bikini a couple of weeks ago. I took some progress pics in it and plan to continue to do so monthly. The pictures are helping me objectively see my body. I'm really proud of what I have accomplished so far, but I don't feel confident enough to wear it in public yet.
SunnyMathChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:20 PM   #10  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

I rocked a bikini a couple of weeks ago at the beach. I've lost around 55lbs. If you want to wear one, go for it!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:13 AM   #11  

S/C/G: SW210/CW189/GW115

Height: 5ft

I will never wear a bikini again After having my baby my stretch marks are horrendous, and I mean it honestly, I'm not into self deprecation.

But that is the only reason. As a teenager I was overweight and I felt super confident in a bikini. In my opinion bikinis are a lot more flattering than one pieces. I remember that I used to wear the bikini because the bottoms would sit perfectly on my little pouch giving the illusion that my belly was a lot flatter than it actually was, whereas the one pieces would perfectly outline my belly pouch for the world to see. Bikinis do make you feel like you're nakey though so I think it really just takes confidence regardless of what you look like.
luckyme0510 is offline   Reply With Quote