Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-27-2013, 10:29 AM   #1  

Default Realizing you're fatter than you thought

So I've been on my diet strictly since early July, I haven't had a scale this whole time but I assumed my starting weight to be in the 230's after a year of living in the semi-truck with my husband.

I finally got a scale the other night and was mortified to see it said 240, I figured with dieting as long as I had I'd be in the 220's. I guess that means my starting weight was probably close to 260, that is just horribly discouraging.

I'm not sure exactly what I'm on about, I guess I'm just sad that I let myself get to this weight, and now realizing my journey will be much harder and longer than I though.

I never thought that numbers on a scale could make me cry, but boy did they >_< Like a frickin' baby!!!
Mizeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:49 AM   #2  
BELIEVE

S/C/G: 215/---/145

Height: 5'8

Yeah that's gotta sting a bit, nobody likes to see a higher number on the scale. I can relate, I used to not use scales because I knew that the number wasn't as important as BMI and stuff. But that is what led me to the 210's when I assumed I was still 190 because I was not watching either. Let this be both a lesson and a motivator. You have more work ahead of you now, so its more important than ever to stay on track with a healthy lifestyle. Also, try and step on a scale every now and again (preferably one with BMI and stuff) just to be sure things don't get out of hand again, and it can also show you your progress. Keep at it!
KillerBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #3  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Don't focus on the past! You've been taking really good care of yourself since July, that is a real accomplishment! Feel good about that!

Don't let the scale suck away the pride in what you've been doing. Nothing good comes from that. It is so easy to get wrapped up in woulda-shoulda-coulda's and all the bad behavior of our yesterdays, but what really matters is today! And you are doing so well! Be proud of yourself!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #4  

Thanks so much, I know it shouldn't make me sad, but make me more determined. It just was like a punch to the gut, and I immediately didn't want the scale anymore lol.

I'm hoping this will serve as a stepping stone for me to lose more rather than to flip the **** out like I have been
Mizeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:38 AM   #5  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

We all flip out now and then -- what would life be without some good flip outs, am I right?

BUT. We won't let our flip outs stop us from moving forward, right? Right!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

First off you are not fatter then you thought! The person you saw in the mirror one week ago is the same person you are today. You just now have a number to put with it!

Even a year+ into maintenance I find it difficult not to be mentally influenced by a number. BUT, you are NOT a number.

The success you have had so far is something that belongs to you and no number can take that away!!

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #7  
Almost there!

S/C/G: 212/163.8/130

Height: 5'4

At this point, numbers don't matter. You know you lost weight during this time, you are sticking with it, and that is what counts. You *are* losing weight. Don't lose sight of that!
Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #8  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

When I was first brave enough to weigh myself after years without a scale, I assumed I might be 325 pounds. I was close to 450. And I let it get worse after that.

I think it's partially a protective mechanism. If we were really totally aware of the state our bodies were in, we'd never want to get out of bed. The wake up part is painful, but it's what moves us forward, and it usually happens when we're ready for it to.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #9  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

It's a rude awakening, but it really is just a number. At the end of the journey, what tends to guide the # of lbs people lose is not an arbitrary number but how they feel and look. The number can be a guiding mechanism, but it's best to treat it as that and nothing more. Feel better!
belovedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #10  
diamondgeog

Something else that is related to this, that I wonder if other people have experienced. I was 'chicken' to look at the nutrition information when I was eating fast food. I knew it was out there, but I wouldn't do it.

I was mortified to find I was eating an A1 steak burger at Whataburger (Texas, SW chain). It has 1050 calories. I think at least 20grams saturated fat. And I subbed the standard bun with 'Texas Toast'. That might be even more calories. And a medium fries at 550 calories plus whatever was in the ketchup.

I did drink ice tea though hehe as if that counted after the burger and fries. But just like a scale I was willfully avoiding nutrition info. BTW check out sandwhich shops before you go. WOW. Most of them are very unhealthy. Subway uses nitrites in a lot of places. The breads use a preservative banned in Europe that can even get you 15 years in jail in Singapore. The USDA has said it isn't 'proven to cause harm'. They don't say it doesn't. The meats contain MSG.

But sandwiches can easily top 1,000 calories. And Subway does not use whole wheat even in it's wheat bread. Or at least not the main grain by weight. Again I didn't start looking any fast food stuff up until I quit, go figure. And not just Subway is shockingly bad or can be depending upon what you choose. Jimmy Johns and Firehouse are just as bad.

Last edited by diamondgeog; 08-27-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:15 PM   #11  

Location: Anchorage AK in the summer, Lawrence KS and travel in the winter

S/C/G: High 285+ 256/ticker/160ish

Height: 5'6"

I understand. It wasn't the scale though it was a photograph. OMG! What a shocker. All my mirrors are head and shoulders type so I had no idea that I looked so big. Yikes! I wasn't ready to tackle the tiger just then and I stayed the same or got even a bit bigger.

You've done well since July. A good many people here can't say that. Have the cry and carry on. BTW, if your 20 something pounds gone are like mine, almost none of your old clothes fit. I'm swimming in mine liking them loose in the first place. Most have already gone to the thrifts.

Cathy

Last edited by vintagecat; 08-27-2013 at 12:16 PM.
vintagecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 230/192/120

Height: 5'2

The exact same thing happened to me today. I haven't weighed myself for about 2 months now, and the last time I checked, I was about 207 lbs. Since I hadn't been too serious about losing weight until quite recently, I expected my weight to be around the same or max 1 or 2 lbs more or less, but when I checked it, I saw that the scale showed 220. I almost broke down because it means that I'm at the 100kg mark, and I've never been so heavy before.

But I know that feeling sorry for myself won't make any weight come off (if only), and I just read a quote somewhere that really buoyed my spirits, which said that when you're at the beach, are people going to see the body that you have or the number it shows on the scale? It made me feel better because while the number on the scale is important, how your body looks and feels is more so, and since I've been exercising almost everyday recently (and feel much better for it) I'm going to focus more on that.
ILoveVegetables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:41 PM   #13  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

I had a similar moment, but mine came when I saw myself in vacation photographs. I was horrified. To my husband I was like "WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME I WAS SO FAT?!?!?" He was properly stumped as to what the right answer was in that situation, poor guy. I just couldn't believe it.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #14  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Hugs

It's ok to be upset just don't dwell on it.
Keep up the good work!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #15  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

Please hold for a mild thread high-jacking:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgeog View Post
Something else that is related to this, that I wonder if other people have experienced. I was 'chicken' to look at the nutrition information when I was eating fast food. I knew it was out there, but I wouldn't do it.

I was mortified to find I was eating an A1 steak burger at Whataburger (Texas, SW chain). It has 1050 calories. I think at least 20grams saturated fat. And I subbed the standard bun with 'Texas Toast'. That might be even more calories. And a medium fries at 550 calories plus whatever was in the ketchup.

I did drink ice tea though hehe as if that counted after the burger and fries. But just like a scale I was willfully avoiding nutrition info. BTW check out sandwhich shops before you go. WOW. Most of them are very unhealthy. Subway uses nitrites in a lot of places. The breads use a preservative banned in Europe that can even get you 15 years in jail in Singapore. The USDA has said it isn't 'proven to cause harm'. They don't say it doesn't. The meats contain MSG.

But sandwiches can easily top 1,000 calories. And Subway does not use whole wheat even in it's wheat bread. Or at least not the main grain by weight. Again I didn't start looking any fast food stuff up until I quit, go figure. And not just Subway is shockingly bad or can be depending upon what you choose. Jimmy Johns and Firehouse are just as bad.
This is exactly why I don't eat out very often!

Back to our regularly scheduled posting...

You've done amazing so far! Don't let the scale rule you. My scale went for months (I mean mooonthssss) without moving, but I knew my clothes were fitting better and I JUST felt smaller.

Just keep doing what you're doing!
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote