Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #16  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

You've just started out on a big project, this weight loss of yours. It's gonna be like a home renovation. I think it's better that you know the extent of the job before you embark on it. It's scary, yes, but there is something empowering about knowing the truth, no more & no less.

Also there's the whole thing about what it takes for people to make a change. It's really difficult. A lot of people give up along the way. It's easier to go on in the same old familiar ways. You can take this & use it as incentive, because you know that you have the power within you to change it, to make that number go lower. The scary things in life are the ones we can't change.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #17  
just do it :)

S/C/G: ticker!

Height: 5'6

I had a similar experience. Around 270 something, I refused to step on the scale because I was so embarrassed and horrified. I went on all sorts of crash diets but knew in my heart nothing was working, even if I wasn't checking the scale. I threw in the towel completely, fast forward a year or two and I'm fed up with everything. I've literally avoided going to the doctor when sick because I was afraid of the scale. It was ridiculous and I knew I needed to get over it... I also I knew if I wanted to lose weight, it would help to measure my progress. I sucked it up and bought a scale... when I stepped on it and saw that huge glaring 3 in front of the other two numbers, I absolutely broke down. I knew I had gained a bit (at least I knew I hadn't lost, because my clothes weren't exactly falling off), but never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd topple over THREE HUNDRED POUNDS. I was humiliated and ashamed, but that moment was when the click happened. I'm happy I caught it before I got too far into the 300's, but nevertheless, seeing that 3 was everything I needed to kick myself into gear and take this seriously, to do it the right way. I was absolutely devastated at first, but I promise, it gets better as you get control of your health. It hurts to see that number still, but it also serves as a reminder of how far I've come and how strong I am for hitting rock bottom and climbing back up. Soon enough, you'll feel this way too
lanabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:02 PM   #18  
Getting motivated

S/C/G: 260/222/160

Height: 5'6"

This also happened to me a few years ago...I stopped checking my weight once I was in the 230s, and I figured I hadn't gone up at all because my clothes still fit. But when I went to the doctor and got on the scale....I was over 270. That was a real wake-up call.

Don't stress over the numbers though! They're in the past. Use this info to see how well you've already done and let it motivate you to keep going!
meowforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:29 PM   #19  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

The scale is a tool, that we use to judge where we are. It's an easy and instant tool. The down side of that is we put to much importance on that number, and not enough on focusing on a long term healthy lifestyle.

So, you are more than you thought. It is what it is.

The scale is not the end all be all.

Your health numbers, that reflect changes in your lifestyle are way more important.

You reduce your risk of diabetes, clogged arteries, gall bladder attacks, heart disease, heart attack, vericose veins, thyroid issues, hormones out of whack, and on and on!

Keep calm and carry on!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #20  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

To add, an extra thirty pounds might take a bit more time... but I suspect when you're that close to goal, it'll be easier to swallow than it might be right now. Right now, the proverbial mountain just grew right in front of your eyes, right? Holy ****, that's upsetting! But when you're on the mountain, close to the peak, it will probably feel less so. Whatever the number, you can do this, you ARE doing this, and in the grand scheme of things that time will pass by in the blink of an eye when you look back on it. Feel better.
belovedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #21  

Thanks so much everyone for your replies! I really feel much better. I'm also not flipping out so much today, and I am more determined than ever to make those numbers go down!
Mizeria is offline   Reply With Quote