Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-18-2013, 11:33 PM   #1  
i lost my head awhile ago

S/C/G: 286/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2

Default Lack of motivation and concentration

I'm beginning to think that something is making it more difficult to keep up with my weight loss, especially in regards to keeping a log. I wanted to keep a food diary, but that failed within the first couple of days. I also keep forgetting to log into My fitness pal and almost never logged in when I had Weight Watchers online. It seems like everytime I get excited about something, I just stop caring the very next minute and go back to destructive behavior.
Mori M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 95.6/75.6/65.6

Height: 165

I hear you! Don't know how to 'fix' it though. I'm so inspired when I read through all the before and afters and feel motivated but then life keeps getting in the way or perhaps more excuses gah... Love to have an answer to this!
fitnhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:39 AM   #3  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

I have a short attention span so often one thing that gets me motivated or excited one day will have faded away within days.....I just have a short attention span in general and seriously wonder if i'm undiagnosed ADHD or something....but that's a whole other long post
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:29 AM   #4  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Oh yes, I'm ADD. And I have done/still do all that sort of stuff. The stuff I successfully do regularly is stuff I do in a rather obsessive manner. I'm KEENLY interested in, until I make myself nuts. Have suffered from analysis paralysis, quit everything, restarted, dropped it, etc.

I have learned to accept that's how my brain works. It's how I'm wired. It takes me a lot of time to make changes, but I've learned how to rewire myself to take on new behaviors and practices. But it usually involves me hitting my head against the wall a few times. (Oh, silly ADD me!) And lots of patience and self-compassion.

Set up your plan. Weed out unrealistic expectations of the outcome and your ability to stick with the plan. Only plan for what you know you can achieve at first, then step up your game as you experience more success.

At first, for me, to get me to exercise, the biggest obstacle was getting my socks and shoes on. Had to find the socks that were the easiest to put on because I could barely reach past my stomach to get them on, then shoes that were easy to put on. And fitness clothes that I felt comfortable in. And then the one activity that made me feel really good. For me, that was weight training. I found good books on weight training and learned what I could about it, got some help from a good trainer, and took it a little at a time. I now workout five days a week, one to two hours a day. I get sore from my workouts, which at first was such a deterrent. But then I realized that the soreness from working out was proof of my work, and felt really different from common injuries. I learned to regularly eat food that would help me recover faster (salmon and sardines, eggs, bone marrow, colorful vegetables).

With regards to diet, I first started cutting out foods that didn't matter to me. I loved fast food, and I used to go at least twice a day. I cut it down to once a day, then cut back on the size of my order, then decided I didn't really care about the soda, and then the fries, and then I didn't really care about the buns and started ordering everything protein-style. At the same time, I increased my consumption of vegetables to two servings per meal. And I limited fruit to one serving a day, and no juice. I then started to look at the food I really loved and what I really liked about it and what I could do without.

About then I discovered that I had type 2 diabetes and a soy insensitivity. Biggest favor my health ever did for me! I started cutting out everything that had soy in it, which mean nearly all processed food. And the diabetes got me to cut out sugar and starchy carbs.

By then I was feeling so dang good! And no French fry or pizza was ever going to make me feel that good. The more I made a point of noticing how good I was feeling, when I was feeling joyful and energized, the more I rewired my brain to like doing that stuff. The more I noticed how crappy I felt when I ate anything with soy in it, or how quickly I regained when I over-indulged in starchy carbs, the more I rewired my brain to avoid those behaviors. Having fun doing things that helped me along my path was the most motivating!

And for me, I noticed that when I made good food choices and stayed consistent with the exercise, AND surrounded myself with people who supported and encouraged my efforts, the more I was prone to making the right choices. I still can't achieve anything because I simply will myself to do it. But if I want it bad enough, I have learned to create the environment that supports what I want to achieve.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:57 AM   #5  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Oh, one more thing...with regards to how "perfectly" I stick to the plan. I am not at all perfect! I give myself a range. I figured out that according to my height and lean body mass, my BMR is close to 1900 calories. That is my upper caloric limit per day. If I eat more than that, I'll gain fat. If I eat less than that, I'll lose fat.

I like to use intermittent fasting. I am able to stay away from food from 12 to 16 hours per day. In the remaining 8 to 12 hours, I can usually stay focused enough to limit myself to two meals per day up to 1900 calories. Once a week I'll do a 24-hour fast. Once a month I'll do a 36-hour fast. That drops my average daily calories around 1450 calories.

I don't deprive myself of things I love to eat. I just manage it. Once a week, I still have an In-n-Out Double Double burger (protein style) with cheese. Once a week, I still have dark chocolate and a cocktail. Daily, I eat a handful of raw almonds, cheese and butter. And I have a tablespoon of heavy cream in my decaf coffee. Once a month, I eat homemade waffles with butter and real maple syrup. Today I had a Boudin bread bowl of vegetable soup. I ate the whole thing! I did it because I've had the stomach flu for the last four days and didn't eat hardly anything at all and if I didn't make a wise choice about a starchy carb, I was going to devour a whole bag of Kettle crinkle-cut salt and black pepper potato chips. Happy to say, I'm over that craving now!
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #6  
Pantless

S/C/G: 205/185/170

Height: 5"4'

I have problems with counting and keeping track on what I eat too..I stop caring after awhile. But I actually found it easier to make use of the sidebar on vista and use the little gadget notepad. I track my cals there since I always see it on my desktop so it kinda reminds me. And reminds me to do my workout!

http://i.imgur.com/T41bGK2.png

I also have a real calender I use to keep me on track, I've counted it out 2lbs less each week and when I should get to my GW so that keeps me going and so far I have been on track so it makes you wanna keep that up cos it feels closer each time! least for me~

Last edited by Torii; 08-19-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Torii is offline   Reply With Quote