Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #1  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Default The Five Stages of (Food) Grief

This is a blog post I found via authenticallyemmie, a weight loss blog I follow. While it's geared towards gluten free/whole foods, I think any and all of us that have had to drastically change our lives can relate.

This is hard. It took me a year to bargaining and sadness, and I can see that's where I am now. I didn't "power through" like I thought I did. But maybe understanding the process will help me and anyone else get back on track

http://whole9life.com/2012/01/the-fi...of-food-grief/
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #2  
Making it a lifestyle!

Height: 5'9.5"

I can relate to this, having gone wheat-free five months ago. It's still hard sometimes, but it's been easier to make peace with it since the effects for me are so immediate and drastic. Never eating wheat again would be a small price to pay for all the benefits, particularly the lack of daily headaches and migraines.
I also tend to prefer a flexitarian diet, but I just can't personally justify to myself going fully and permanently vegetarian/vegan like I can with the wheat-free. Moderation is the compromise there.
Chronostasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #3  
awesomeness.

S/C/G: 350-ish/ticker/199

Height: 5'5"

Yup, I feel this way even if I'm not a paleo! Everyone asks the questions, and eats their sweets at work while I am stuck like staring at them just wanting to lick one of their treats. Am I happy with my results? Yes, but I'd rather be eating those sweets.
wishfuiiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 325/310.4/150

Height: 5'1"

I can relate to this because my body cannot tolerate corn or lactose. Wanna cut down your diet by more than half? Eliminate anything with a corn product, that includes the generic "food starch", it's probably cornstarch. And don't just check food labels, lemonade & orange soda contain cornstarch too. Don't ask me why.

I was also crazy for Italian food, so the lactose intolerance did NOT come easy. It's been over 20 years and I still miss lasagna. (The lactaid pills don't work for me.)

I don't envy you eliminating wheat. My cousin is currently on a no wheat diet and he's lost over 20 lbs. He looks great.
Lass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 347/208/180

Height: 5'3

Thanks for sharing this! I am definitely in the "sadness phase" and just want to break down and eat every piece of chocolate in this house. Reading this and seeing what others are posting makes me feel a little better, though it does not taste as good as that chocolate would :P I just need to stay strong, I just want to "accept and adjust"!
anm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #6  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

It took awhile, but I'm in the accept/adjust phase. It wasn't hard, but I didn't even try to lose weight until I was mentally 'ready' to do what it took. So when I entered the game five years ago I think I was already at 'bargain'
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:34 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 343/218/180

Height: 6'2"

I think I'm at all stages at once.
It depends on situation. I know I'll never go back to eating the same. That was out of control. But I don't miss food as much as I miss not being so heavy. Weighing less is by far a better trade off than eating junk food. And also, after so long eating right, junk food doesn't really appeal to me much anymore.
Sometimes I do eat some "bad" food, just small amounts.
chubbyface is offline   Reply With Quote