Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-13-2013, 12:13 AM   #16  
i lost my head awhile ago

S/C/G: 286/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2

i do a lot of night eating too. The reverse calorie counting seems like a good idea.
Mori M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:17 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 200+/168/130

Height: 5'2''

I have the same problem, and like GlamourGirl I sat down and really thought about it and realized I used it as way to unwind/reward myself at the end of the day. So I try and use alternatives instead, like a nice bath, doing my nails, or reading a good book. Maybe when you feel the urge to snack do something else for yourself instead?
CanadianMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:57 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 293.2/293.2/115

Height: 5'1"

I think maybe it's been happening at least once a week for the past month and a half. This week it's been three days in a row.

I think my willpower was stronger last year. It was a lot easier to say no when I was offered food - and actually mean it.

I mean, last year I actually brought my own healthy, homemade dinner in containers to pizza parties and get-togethers to prepare for a wedding that I was a bridesmaid in. I brought my own food or bought it when I stayed over at friends' houses.

This year, I'm not as strong. I start the day saying that I'll eat healthy even if I'm hanging out with friends. Then, I just throw that all out the window. And once I mess up - even a little - my mind starts to think that since I did that, I might as well have some of everything else.

Days like this make me wish I lived on my own because none of this stuff would even be in my own place. But if I moved out, Dad (who is also trying to lose weight *by having me do all the hard work, lol*) would have no one to make him healthy meals or go to the gym with.

Thank you so much for replying. I'll try to get back on track as soon as I can. Staying on track is the problem. ;P
wordsthatrhyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:23 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 300/198/150

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsthatrhyme View Post
I think maybe it's been happening at least once a week for the past month and a half. This week it's been three days in a row.

I think my willpower was stronger last year. It was a lot easier to say no when I was offered food - and actually mean it.

I mean, last year I actually brought my own healthy, homemade dinner in containers to pizza parties and get-togethers to prepare for a wedding that I was a bridesmaid in. I brought my own food or bought it when I stayed over at friends' houses.

This year, I'm not as strong. I start the day saying that I'll eat healthy even if I'm hanging out with friends. Then, I just throw that all out the window. And once I mess up - even a little - my mind starts to think that since I did that, I might as well have some of everything else.

Days like this make me wish I lived on my own because none of this stuff would even be in my own place. But if I moved out, Dad (who is also trying to lose weight *by having me do all the hard work, lol*) would have no one to make him healthy meals or go to the gym with.

Thank you so much for replying. I'll try to get back on track as soon as I can. Staying on track is the problem. ;P
OMG yes, I understand! As soon as I slip up a little, I completely let myself fall and break... I eat everything in sight! Haha. Like a damn Godzilla here. I have been binge eating once a week too for the past two months maybe? Ive also been doing some cardio/strength training. While I haven't lost any weight, Ive dropped down two jean sizes Last year it was easier for me because I was in a relationship though so that gave me motivation.... sadly.

I wish I lived on my own too cause of the exact same reason! That and when I go run, everyone freaks out saying how ill get abducted *rolls eyes*

Like I said, I understand EXACTLY where youre coming from. But you've come along way too though, so don't underestimate yourself

We didn't put on this weight overnight and we're not gonna take it off in a day either. Together we will get there though!
leecpieces91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:47 AM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecpieces91 View Post
OMG yes, I understand! As soon as I slip up a little, I completely let myself fall and break... I eat everything in sight! Haha. Like a damn Godzilla here. I have been binge eating once a week too for the past two months maybe? Ive also been doing some cardio/strength training. While I haven't lost any weight, Ive dropped down two jean sizes Last year it was easier for me because I was in a relationship though so that gave me motivation.... sadly.

I wish I lived on my own too cause of the exact same reason! That and when I go run, everyone freaks out saying how ill get abducted *rolls eyes*

Like I said, I understand EXACTLY where youre coming from. But you've come along way too though, so don't underestimate yourself

We didn't put on this weight overnight and we're not gonna take it off in a day either. Together we will get there though!
I have been exercising more now than I did last year, too. *twinsies, lol*
I do about half an hour walking on the treadmill (trying to convince myself to start C25K), and I play around on some of the machines at the gym - I guess that's strength training?

Well, the obvious solution to both of our problems is for us to just move in together. Lol. (I'm joking; don't freak out. )

I know it took me 20-ish years to put this weight on, but I'd rather it take me a lot less than that to get the weight off.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:18 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 300/198/150

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsthatrhyme View Post
I have been exercising more now than I did last year, too. *twinsies, lol*
I do about half an hour walking on the treadmill (trying to convince myself to start C25K), and I play around on some of the machines at the gym - I guess that's strength training?

Well, the obvious solution to both of our problems is for us to just move in together. Lol. (I'm joking; don't freak out. )

I know it took me 20-ish years to put this weight on, but I'd rather it take me a lot less than that to get the weight off.

We are just alike! Hmmmm, favorite color on three. 1,2,3 GREEN! Jah, Jah, is yours green too? *wiggles eyebrows* lol.

Hey, im down for that solution! We both have the same goal, we're both awesome, and we both get along great.... Too bad we're THOUSDANDS OF MILES apart though, aghhhhh >_< lol If I knew how to work this site, I would add you as a buddy! Lol.

Gah, I need to join a gym. I just hate going by myself. Im definitely the person who needs the extra support and motivation.

It sounds like youre doing good though ^_^
leecpieces91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:36 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 194/180/120

Height: 4'11

Same here. My biggest dieting success (around 2008 to 2009) happened when I forced myself to go to bed by 9:30pm, because it eliminated all my late-night binges. I actually have to force myself to eat in the mornings and afternoons, because I have zero appetite before 3pm or so.

I'm slowly trying to push my bedtime forward, which is hard because I've been going to bed around 2:30am for going on 3 years now. And, of course, lack of sleep just makes you hungrier.

Last edited by FatSass; 08-13-2013 at 03:36 AM.
FatSass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:57 AM   #23  

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecpieces91 View Post
We are just alike! Hmmmm, favorite color on three. 1,2,3 GREEN! Jah, Jah, is yours green too? *wiggles eyebrows* lol.

Hey, im down for that solution! We both have the same goal, we're both awesome, and we both get along great.... Too bad we're THOUSDANDS OF MILES apart though, aghhhhh >_< lol If I knew how to work this site, I would add you as a buddy! Lol.

Gah, I need to join a gym. I just hate going by myself. Im definitely the person who needs the extra support and motivation.

It sounds like youre doing good though ^_^
Purple--Oh, um, I mean green?

Let's meet in the middle of thousands of miles!

It's really hard having motivation to go by yourself. I tried while Dad was vacationing, and only managed to go once without him. It was a good experience, though. I just didn't want to leave the house the other days.

P.S. I just added you as a buddy.

Last edited by wordsthatrhyme; 08-13-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #24  
it's always something

Night time snacking used to be a huge problem for me, so I understand how you feel You received a lot of great advice in this thread, I hope it helps! For me, I just had to quit bringing in in the house. If it was here then I would eat it. Period. I'm lucky that I live alone, and I don't have to face temptation. Hopefully your family members will understand if you ask them to help reduce your temptation. Maybe they can keep snacks in their bedrooms where you won't have to see them.

Have you had a family meeting to discuss this? Maybe they will go one step further than hiding their snacks and decide to join you!

I like to drink hot tea at night, and that helps me if I do feel the need to put something with flavor in my mouth. An orange is also a nice snack and it's refreshing. I mainly just stay busy so that I don't think about food. Maybe changing the types of snacks in the house will help you.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Sometimes if there is something particularly appetizing that I really want to avoid, I chew gum if I have to be in the kitchen. That way, I can't just grab a bite as I walk through.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 305.5/226.8/170

Height: 5'5"

I'm the same way. What I've decided to try out (starting today) is the 'habit replacement' idea. The theory is that you cant just stop a bad habit...you have to replace it with a good one. So tonight, if I feel like noshing, I'm going to work on the novel I'm writing instead. Which will kill two birds with one stone...taking the emphasis off of food, and putting it on something I wanted to devote more time to anyways. I'll let you know how it goes!
LebenAlles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #27  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I solved my "messing up at night" thing by including Intermittent Fasting (IF) into my plan..... I eat between 12pm and 8pm.... And after that I just tell myself "THE KITCHEN IS CLOSED!!!" and yes I do get some hunger pangs... But they usually pass in 15 to 20 minutes or so, and I just deal with it.... Sometimes I have a cup of tea.... And yes I still have "treats" I just include them in my plan and fit them into my eating "window".... Might seem a bit "ridgid".... But so far these "rules" seem to be working for me.... And of course nothing is written in stone, so I can be flexible if I need to.... But I find if I really stick to it.... I maintain with a lot less effort.... And that really makes it worth it it the end...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:53 PM   #28  

Thank you all so much for replying.

After asking my mom to finish the cake for the past couple of days, I talked her into letting me at least stick it in the deep freezer on the other side of our house. That way it's harder for me to get to and too much hassle to even open the container and cut a slice.

Hopefully I don't start eating other bad things to replace it.

I just bought some green tea bags, so I'll try to go straight to a mug of tea before I look for food.

Habit-replacing sounds like a good idea; I'll have to think of something to do.

I'm not sure I could handle IF. I'm glad it works for you, though.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #29  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

It looks like you've gotten some great information! It also looks like you've done a great job over the last year...well done!

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it, it didn't see it, but I may have missed it, is it just sugar you're eating at night? Maybe you need to do a sugar detox.

I use to be a huge sugar "junkie" until I cut myself off completely and detoxed. The other night we bought some sugary chex mix. I ate two pieces and decided it wasn't good enough to eat anymore. My boyfriend keeps sugary food in the house and I don't really have an interest. Now, the salty snacks...I'm in trouble with those and just can't keep them in the house.
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:37 PM   #30  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

So, one of the things I used to do was a craft of some kind, especially something that you don't want to get food on and something that keeps your hands busy. You can get little counted cross stitch kits at Walmart, make Xmas presents for people, or crochet or knitting, they have really cute kits for making scarves with textured or sparkly yarns.

Now the tablet with the touch screen kind of has the same effect, can't be getting peanut butter all over the screen...lol

I play mind games with myself all the time, tell myself you can have this tomorrow, or even just later works sometimes. Also,I give myself tasks to do before I get my reward, like maybe do some type of exercise or something else constructive before I have that treat.

Keep working on trying to better and you will!

kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote