Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-12-2013, 12:16 AM   #1  

Default Dieting and menstruating question. Please help

Hello all, I am new here and sought out a site with a great forum specifically for my question. A little background first;
I was diagnosed with PCOS at 19, but problems started much earlier (14ish), I have NEVER had a normal period and have always been slightly overweight ... sometimes more so than normal. I am currently 28 years old, about 65+ pounds over weight and have not had a period in about 6 years. Last week I decided to start a strict diet (and not so strict exercise regimen). After weight loss consults I am trying to stay at or just under 1200 calories a day, sugar at or under 24 grams a day, with a very low carb intake. With the exception of last night I have done excellent with the diet, which is NO easy feat, and ok with the exercise. This might sound crazy, only being a week, but I can feel the difference already! Not sure if I have lost actual pounds though as I have not yet weighed myself. Anyway ... tonight I STARTED MY PERIOD! Not super heavy, but it's there. Most girls dread mother natures visit, but I am beside myself ... I feel NORMAL, for the first time in years! YEARS! My question is; could this be related directly to my diet? Even though it has only been a week? I'd like to think so, and it makes me feel a little bit proud of myself, but I am skeptical given the time frame. Being the pessimist that I am I cant help but wonder if it may be something else and not really even a period. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated! I look forward to hearing back from someone, and I'm very excited to check out the rest of this website! Thank you
leesh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:34 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Im not sure about your original question but just wanted to say the eating plan you are following is an excellent one for someone with PCOS which is why you started to feel better so soon.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:38 AM   #3  
Golden Goose

S/C/G: 333/tracker/150

Height: 5'10

After having recently gone through my own period issues, I think this could either be a complete coincidence, or a direct result of changing your eating habits. I have come to think of it like this, that cheap, processed crap that I would buy because it was cheap, easy, and lasted a long time because it was frozen, did BAD THINGS to my body compared to fresh, nutritious foods that grow from the ground and are NOT man made.

It's only been a week, but anything can happen. We also don't know how radically you have changed your diet. What were you eating before? I have noticed a difference in my mood since changing my diet, but that's really it. None of my health issues have improved any yet and I have been working at it since July 1st.

The only advice I can give you is to keep at it and keep track of your body, really listen to how you feel and what it's telling you. Obviously, it's telling you something right now after not having a period for 6 years. Your body could be releasing all of the stuff that was stuck up there, or it could be finally going back to normal.

I have my own issues with food, but I do believe that real, grown from the ground and not factory made food is the best for your body. Your body will thank you and it may just surprise you.
Slush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Yes, it can be.

When I went low-carb, my period became shorter. When I start losing weight initially (still eating a lot of carbs) my periods stayed regularly.

When I had no idea I had PCOS, my periods were completely random.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote