Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-09-2013, 01:44 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/167/140

Height: 5'5"

Default Tips for how to NOT think about food all day!??!

I think about food ALL DAY. I'm pretty much always thinking about what I'm going to eat next. This has made dieting very hard for me. What are your tricks for not focusing on food throughout the day?
Gojojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:12 AM   #2  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

If I have something to do that I really love, I get totally focused on that and don't think about anything else.

I also started wearing a swimmer's nose clip when my kids are cooking something in the kitchen. I can't seem to resist the aromas of food, whether I'm hungry or not. The nose clip helps me stay focused on my work.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:05 AM   #3  
Piggies obsessed

S/C/G: 300/275/140

I usually keep myself busy by playing a game or doing some housework.
VioletDolphin83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 163/163/130

Height: 5'3

Also, when you feel hungry(or THINK you do) drink a nice big glass of water & wait 15 minutes, I heard cravings only last that long GOOD LUCK!
Debimomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:53 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I know the feeling, it's exhausting! I found that certain diets keep you eating all day long to ward off hunger. I thought that was the "right way" to do it and now I'm realizing that it has made me focus on food all day long. I've been sticking with intermittent fasting and it's made cravings go away and made me enjoy my meals more. I also feel like it's helping me gain control of my hunger rather than placate it or submit to it every couple of hours.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 213/188/159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debimomof3 View Post
Also, when you feel hungry(or THINK you do) drink a nice big glass of water & wait 15 minutes, I heard cravings only last that long GOOD LUCK!
I've also found this to be true. When I get a major hunger craving, I tell myself that it's only going to last maybe 10-15 minutes then leave, so I get out of the kitchen, go for a bike ride, or get busy doing something, and soon it's gone and I'm glad I resisted. Otherwise, I take an extra bite or two which usually ends up with me binging, then I feel like cr*p the rest of the day and I beat myself up.
tricon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 138/127/120

Height: 5'4

You have to stay busy and stay away from activities that might trigger snacking/binging behavior. For a lot of people, that is sitting in front of the T.V. or computer.

For me, if I start to get cravings, I go on a bike ride or do a quick workout on Youtube. I find a show on Netflix to watch that passes enough time to get me to my next meal time. Or I post on this and other forums Good luck, I know it's really hard. I think about food all the time as well. It's exhausting.
Zima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I have this same problem. I find myself nibbling all day between meals, for no other reason than that the food is there. I am now trying to get back in control. Three meals a day and nothing in-between. As soon as I think about grabbing something I stop myself and say NO, you are not hungry, then I forget about it. It doesn't ALWAYS work, but every time it does I'm one step closer to succeeding. You can do this. Be strong. Everyone gave you good pointers here.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #9  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

It seems counter-intuitive but what helped me the most is to plan my food the night before. The plan's on paper so I know exactly what I'm going to eat next and I can think about something else. Even though I don't follow it 100% of the time, I think about food many fewer times a day when I have a plan than I do when I don't have a plan.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:24 AM   #10  
Snooze

S/C/G: 220/218/150

Height: 5ft 7in

I think about food all day as well, especially when I decdide to start dieting again after having a break, it is such a psycholigical battle that I never seen to win, I will try some of the tips above. Good luck Gojojo
Snoooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 168/168/120

Height: 5 ft 4

I have pretty much the same issue!
To counteract this I try and plan my meals and meal times then distract myself if a craving comes! Water is a good one too- drink it and wait, if you're still hungry then it's time to look for something healthy in the fridge.
SarahLouise92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #12  
tamIam

S/C/G: size16/size14/size10

Height: 5'7"

Trying to keep myself busy during the day when I'm not working seems to work for me. I drink lemon ginger tea, and clean my house or do some art. Stuff that keeps my mind occupied!
greeneggsandtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #13  
Make each day count!

S/C/G: 263.5/see ticker/180 for now

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenerjoy View Post
It seems counter-intuitive but what helped me the most is to plan my food the night before. The plan's on paper so I know exactly what I'm going to eat next and I can think about something else. Even though I don't follow it 100% of the time, I think about food many fewer times a day when I have a plan than I do when I don't have a plan.
I find this SUPER helpful too. This way if I decide I just HAVE TO eat something, or if I know it's time to eat, then I just look on my sheet of paper. It prevents me from opening the frig and standing there, or going through all the kitchen cupboards and then making a poor decision. The decision's already made so I don't think about food all day, plus I can make sure I have healthy food in the house (I make my rough draft the week before and then go grocery shopping for those items)
mccull83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #14  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Distraction, distraction, distraction
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 170/167/140

Thanks everybody. I like the idea of writing down my meal plan. I'll try that today. Now to get out of the house!
Gojojo is offline   Reply With Quote