3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Tips for how to NOT think about food all day!??! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/286002-tips-how-not-think-about-food-all-day.html)

Gojojo 08-09-2013 01:44 AM

Tips for how to NOT think about food all day!??!

I think about food ALL DAY. I'm pretty much always thinking about what I'm going to eat next. This has made dieting very hard for me. What are your tricks for not focusing on food throughout the day?

geoblewis 08-09-2013 02:12 AM

If I have something to do that I really love, I get totally focused on that and don't think about anything else.

I also started wearing a swimmer's nose clip when my kids are cooking something in the kitchen. I can't seem to resist the aromas of food, whether I'm hungry or not. The nose clip helps me stay focused on my work.

VioletDolphin83 08-09-2013 07:05 AM

I usually keep myself busy by playing a game or doing some housework.:)

Debimomof3 08-09-2013 08:39 AM

Also, when you feel hungry(or THINK you do) drink a nice big glass of water & wait 15 minutes, I heard cravings only last that long GOOD LUCK!

Palestrina 08-09-2013 08:53 AM

I know the feeling, it's exhausting! I found that certain diets keep you eating all day long to ward off hunger. I thought that was the "right way" to do it and now I'm realizing that it has made me focus on food all day long. I've been sticking with intermittent fasting and it's made cravings go away and made me enjoy my meals more. I also feel like it's helping me gain control of my hunger rather than placate it or submit to it every couple of hours.

tricon7 08-09-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debimomof3 (Post 4812320)
Also, when you feel hungry(or THINK you do) drink a nice big glass of water & wait 15 minutes, I heard cravings only last that long GOOD LUCK!

I've also found this to be true. When I get a major hunger craving, I tell myself that it's only going to last maybe 10-15 minutes then leave, so I get out of the kitchen, go for a bike ride, or get busy doing something, and soon it's gone and I'm glad I resisted. Otherwise, I take an extra bite or two which usually ends up with me binging, then I feel like cr*p the rest of the day and I beat myself up.

Zima 08-09-2013 09:03 AM

You have to stay busy and stay away from activities that might trigger snacking/binging behavior. For a lot of people, that is sitting in front of the T.V. or computer.

For me, if I start to get cravings, I go on a bike ride or do a quick workout on Youtube. I find a show on Netflix to watch that passes enough time to get me to my next meal time. Or I post on this and other forums :) Good luck, I know it's really hard. I think about food all the time as well. It's exhausting.

Wannabehealthy 08-09-2013 09:47 AM

I have this same problem. I find myself nibbling all day between meals, for no other reason than that the food is there. I am now trying to get back in control. Three meals a day and nothing in-between. As soon as I think about grabbing something I stop myself and say NO, you are not hungry, then I forget about it. It doesn't ALWAYS work, but every time it does I'm one step closer to succeeding. You can do this. Be strong. Everyone gave you good pointers here.

gardenerjoy 08-09-2013 09:55 AM

It seems counter-intuitive but what helped me the most is to plan my food the night before. The plan's on paper so I know exactly what I'm going to eat next and I can think about something else. Even though I don't follow it 100% of the time, I think about food many fewer times a day when I have a plan than I do when I don't have a plan.

Snoooze 08-09-2013 10:24 AM

I think about food all day as well, especially when I decdide to start dieting again after having a break, it is such a psycholigical battle that I never seen to win, I will try some of the tips above. Good luck Gojojo

SarahLouise92 08-09-2013 10:31 AM

I have pretty much the same issue!
To counteract this I try and plan my meals and meal times then distract myself if a craving comes! Water is a good one too- drink it and wait, if you're still hungry then it's time to look for something healthy in the fridge.

greeneggsandtam 08-09-2013 11:01 AM

Trying to keep myself busy during the day when I'm not working seems to work for me. I drink lemon ginger tea, and clean my house or do some art. Stuff that keeps my mind occupied!

mccull83 08-09-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gardenerjoy (Post 4812380)
It seems counter-intuitive but what helped me the most is to plan my food the night before. The plan's on paper so I know exactly what I'm going to eat next and I can think about something else. Even though I don't follow it 100% of the time, I think about food many fewer times a day when I have a plan than I do when I don't have a plan.

I find this SUPER helpful too. This way if I decide I just HAVE TO eat something, or if I know it's time to eat, then I just look on my sheet of paper. It prevents me from opening the frig and standing there, or going through all the kitchen cupboards and then making a poor decision. The decision's already made so I don't think about food all day, plus I can make sure I have healthy food in the house (I make my rough draft the week before and then go grocery shopping for those items)

Ija 08-09-2013 11:02 AM

Distraction, distraction, distraction :dizzy:

Gojojo 08-09-2013 11:10 AM

Thanks everybody. I like the idea of writing down my meal plan. I'll try that today. Now to get out of the house!