Brazilian food (holidays)

• We are travelling to Brazil next month what the heck will I eat, any ideas. I'd like to be a bit prepared. Or where to look

Scood

• That is kind of like asking what someone would eat if they came to the US. Brazil is a large cou try with varying climates and some very remote areas as well as urban areas. In some regions fish is a staple while other areas maybe not so much. Being tropical, you'd expect to have availability to a large amount of fruits and vegetables. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about diet, just eating moderately and getting in plenty of walking. Most of all, have fun.
  • We have been to Asia and I find plenty I can eat, went to Egypt that wasn't so good, but this will be different again

Thanks scood

• Hello! I'm Brazilian

Your best bet for everyday lunches are self-service restaurants. You'll typically get a wide variety of veggies, rice, beans, different kinds of meat, etc. You'll also find plenty of fruit and veggies at supermarkets or street markets. Which cities are you visiting?

ETA: in general, it's much easier to find non-fattening foods here than in the US.
  • Thanks, we are going to Peru, Argentina, michu picchu, Laguana falls?? rio, I'm not at home at the moment 5 different counties, I haven't got the itinerary. It will be very exciting

We have been to Asia, Egypt very different food again. I was thinking maybe it would be taco type of food I wasn't sure.

Thanks for your reply
    Scood.
  • Tacos are street food in Mexico and although I've been to other parts of South America, I've never seen tacos per se but also I didn't eat a lot of street food, usually ate in restaurants. I think that parts of SA have a strong Afro-Carribean influence while others may not so much. Some have a strong indigenous influence while I expect Brazil has different food influences being a former Portuguese colony but also it is a big country overall. And I am guessing you are in the UK? If you expect food to be similar to Mexican in any way, I'm guessing you'll have a surprise. Most of our Mexican food in the US differs a lot from Mexican food and we are a neighboring country. Even within a smaller country like Mexico, the food differs greatly from region to region.

Again, good luck and relax.