Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-27-2013, 07:46 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 345/see tracker/200

Height: 5'7"

Default If I can do it, so can you.

I know we've all heard the phrase many times with respect to weight loss: "If I can do it so can you". In the past when I would hear this I never really took it to heart. I would always think-trust me, you don't know me and there are things I can't do.

But now-I hear that phrase and I have a whole new respect for it. As of right now, I'm at the lowest weight I've been since I was a young teen, I'm training for a 5K obstacle race, and I'm running. RUNNING. I refused to even run the one mile we were supposed to do in gym class. Granted, I can't run a 5K yet but I know I will. I'm strong and getting stronger every day.

So the reason for this post is for anyone that is struggling or anyone that feels like giving up. I promise you that if I can do this, so can you. I have been overweight/obese my entire life (close to 400 lbs at one point). I never cared about my weight or my health. But now I'm completely different person. It hasn't been easy but has definitely been worth it. Please don't give up because you too will be amazed at what you can do. Hugs to everyone and I hope you all have a great Saturday!!
NYFLAgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Congratulations on your success and achievements and thank you for the encouraging words!
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:53 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Congratulations!
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:56 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Congratulations!
penmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/192/120

Height: 5'2

That's awesome. Good luck for the 5k
ILoveVegetables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #6  
Cindy

S/C/G: 219/see ticker/136

Height: 5'6"

Your post makes me want to give you a hug. You are soooooo right. It CAN be done, we are all strong and powerful somewhere deep inside, and it is a joy to see that person emerge. Congrats on the running. I started about two years ago at 220 pounds (though I didn't lose weight at first because I still ate so poorly). Even after being diagnosed with severe arthritis in both knees I kept going. Now I can run a lot further and a lot faster and I love it. Like you said, if I can, anybody can. Stories like yours keep me inspired.
forkeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 249/~~~/149

Height: 5'6

Thank you for the encouragement. I came onto the forum this morning for this type of message. All the best to you!
Amy Remixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #8  

Thanks for the words of encouragement!

It is a new thing for me to think of myself as non-sedentary, high-energy person capable of long walks, quick sprints, and physical things I was not capable of before.
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 280/278/180

Height: 5'8"

What a wonderful, uplifting thread! Congrats to you and thank you so much for the encouraging words to us all.
Only Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #10  
Cat Cuddler

S/C/G: 287/266/150

Height: 5'5"

Wow - you are a great inspiration! Congratulations and thank you for sharing your story!
doingmybest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #11  
Warrior Princess

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYFLAgirl View Post
I know we've all heard the phrase many times with respect to weight loss: "If I can do it so can you". In the past when I would hear this I never really took it to heart. I would always think-trust me, you don't know me and there are things I can't do.

But now-I hear that phrase and I have a whole new respect for it. As of right now, I'm at the lowest weight I've been since I was a young teen, I'm training for a 5K obstacle race, and I'm running. RUNNING. I refused to even run the one mile we were supposed to do in gym class. Granted, I can't run a 5K yet but I know I will. I'm strong and getting stronger every day.

So the reason for this post is for anyone that is struggling or anyone that feels like giving up. I promise you that if I can do this, so can you. I have been overweight/obese my entire life (close to 400 lbs at one point). I never cared about my weight or my health. But now I'm completely different person. It hasn't been easy but has definitely been worth it. Please don't give up because you too will be amazed at what you can do. Hugs to everyone and I hope you all have a great Saturday!!

Yep! I spent 18 years smoking, drinking, poor eating habits and laying on the couch after work. I NEVER fathomed jogging more than a few feet, now I run miles and in better shape at almost 40 than I was in my late 20's. Congrats! It is a great feeling.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 345/see tracker/200

Height: 5'7"

Thanks everyone-I felt like I needed to share this because I know alot of the times this journey is not easy!
NYFLAgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #13  
One decision at a time.

S/C/G: 213/195/150

Height: 5'9''

Thank you - I really needed this today. It's been a real struggle for me the last few days. I know that I can do this - I just need to choose to do it, every day.
Jessica Committed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 228/209/130

Height: 4-11

Congratulations!~ I am new at getting back to good health and it is stories like yours that keep me motivated. Thank you for your words and inspiration.Have a wonderful Saturday.
Tangible Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I have applied that phrase to other aspects of my life, now I have to apply it to weight loss. Once I wanted to buy a car that was a stick shift and I didn't know how to drive one. My friend drove one, and I said to myself "If she can do it, I can to." And I did! There is no reason, not to apply this same phrase here. Thanks for showing me that!
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote