Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-25-2013, 10:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 160:(/see ticker/125

Height: 5'4

Default Fruit my trigger???

It seems like I can't eat fruit like a normal person. If I take a bite, I end up eating 2-3 of the same (peaches, mangos, etc) i can't even get close to cherries or strawberries because I could eat a whole pound (and them some)

The problem is not eating so much fruit, the problem is that it opens my appetite (maybe all the carb and sugar overload) and it sends me straight to a bad eating day.

Sadly, I decided to cut them out, since I cannot have them in moderation.

Anyone else with this problem???
CIELOARGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:02 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I'm not sure if my problem is similar or not. If I don't put my fruit in a measuring cup or in portion controlled baggies, then I can't be trusted to just eat enough and stop. However, once I get my portion then I log it in as my calories and I'm very careful with my calories so I make sure not to go over.

If you know that fruit is not something you can control then it's not the worst thing because you can still get lots of vitamins and antioxidents from veggies.

You might try pairing a fruit with a protein to see if that helps. So, have apple with a string cheese or have peaches after you've had some cottage cheese or an egg. If that doesn't help, then perhaps you just have to give them up for a while and try again some day.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

I'm sure it's the sugar in them. It's probably causing your glucose levels to spike and then quickly fall, and in turn causing you to become hungry in an effort to raise your blood sugar again. As you put it, it opens your appetite. I'm trying a diet right now called the Slow Carb Diet, and it cuts out fruit, except for on one cheat day a week. Maybe you could set up one day a week to indulge in fruit and stay away from it on the other days.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:27 PM   #4  

luckymommy: I tried that, but I go back for seconds (or thirds, fourths lol ) fruit has so little calories that its not a huge impact for me. 1lb of strawberries has ONLY 146 calories. So loggin my calories and seeing the number is not really something that works at the moment

Jacqui_D: I do think it's the sugar. I might do that "once a week" thing, because I really love them, but they make me crave/eat bad things afterwards.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:30 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8

I personally can handle fruit, but I definitely know multiple people who fruit is a trigger. In the same way that sugar can be a trigger, sugars from fruits can also be a trigger.
mandypandy2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:41 AM   #6  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

It's one of the many reasons I switched from calorie counting/Paleo to true low carb. Fruit isn't benign for me - I love it, have a hard time controlling portions, and am hungry too soon after eating it. So I do well on a plan that eliminated it and then reintroduces small, controlled quantities.

I can get antioxidants, fiber, and vitamins another way, with a lot less sugar!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:31 AM   #7  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I'm fine with fruit.... In fact ive added it back with no problems... I blend all sort or whole fruit and veggies in my vitamix and I'm fine... I also juice as well... And I have no problems... But I prefer using the vitamix... It really is amazing...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:53 AM   #8  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

Fruit isn't so much a trigger for me - in fact it's been an essential part of my process - but everyone is different in this regard, and I think you'll find that more people are like you than you might think. Arctic Mama mentioned above that she has trouble controlling herself with fruit, and I think kaplods is another who has mentioned this kind of issue.

It's just another example of how no "diet tip" or control tactic will work for everyone - we each have to do the science experiment on our own bodies and figure out what works. Try to do this without adding in value judgments like "I'm not normal" or "I just have no self control."

I have a similar problem with nuts. Many people find almonds are a wonderful on-plan food, so packed with fiber and nutrients as to be extremely satisfying and hence easy to eat in controlled portions. Not I. If I start eating almonds, I can. Not. Stop. It's not "not normal," it's just how my body works. I had to learn it the hard way (over and over).
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:37 AM   #9  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

Carter- I have similar issue with nuts, we used to always have mixed nuts, figuring decent lower carb s ack, until you keep going back for another and another handful.

Good point about everyone's body working differently.

Cielo-I'm wondering if you've looked into the glycemic index at all, if maybe different fruits cause same symptoms, like blueberries same as bananas.

Years ago WW had you look at your reaction to different foods and I'd them as red light, yellow, green, based on whether you can control your eating of them. This would help you have a strategy for those foods, such as not having in the house or only having on a special occasion.

The point I'm trying to make is that it's good you're identifying a trouble area and trying to come up with a strategy. I'm going to relook my triggers and make sure I have a plan for them.

Thanks
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #10  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

We had to stop buying a certain type of granola bar because DH couldn't stop eating them!
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I only eat fruit once a day, and usually only during work days (M-F). I pack one portion at night along with my lunch, and that way I can't go back for more.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

At one point, I was using fruit to quell the munchies so I was eating a lot of fruit per day. Now I've been able to step back and realize what I'm doing, I am much more moderated about fruit. I've even had to throw some fruit out because I forgot it was there, or didn't fit it in on enough days.

So although for the last 2-3 years, I would've described myself as a fruit addict, I've broken that in the last few months.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #13  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

I have a hard time with fresh, local summer fruit. But, like you said, its low calorie -- 3 small peaches is only 150+ calories -- and the seasons are so short, that I just give in to it. I try to tell myself that it's not like the orchard is going to run out of peaches, there will be more when I need to buy them later this week. But it doesn't always work.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #14  

Thanks all of you for your replies. It's nice to see that I am not alone in this

mandypandy2246: I agree! Sugar is sugar. I am not a sweet person, but fruit is my weakness.

Arctic Mama: same here. I eat tons of fruit and then I get hungry right away, and I usually crave/want refined carbs.

TripSwitch: I tried smoothies, same effect but more calories :-/

kelijpa: all fruits do this to me. Almonds also do this to me, but one time I ate so many almonds and penaut butter that now I can hardly have any, they kind of grossed me out... Too bad it doesn't happen with fruit

Munchy: I'm a SAHM with two girls that also love fruit, and I much rather them eating fruits than cookies or candy during the day, so I have to have them at home at all times.

nelie: I am hoping is just a phase and I will get better.

newleaf123: I know!!! I am a peach addict! Haha and yes, they are so delicious and have so little calories that I almost want to say "f it! Lets have some more" but I have notice that if I eat one fruit (or two) my day gets harder and I usually end up giving up... Crazy!
Old 07-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

For me I find if I have been doing good and avoiding starchy carbs that fruit is just yummy and refreshing, but if i have been doing bad on carbs it triggers me to want other (junky) sweet things.
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote