Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 249/~~~/149

Height: 5'6

Default Personal Weight Loss Rules?

I've set some rules for myself to help me change bad habits, eat healthier and lose weight.

- No more drive throughs. If eating fast food is my only dining option, I will go into the restaurant.

- No more eating in the car.

- Put food onto a plate and not eat it straight out of the package. The only exception is yogurt.

- No clothes shopping until I lose weight and my pants are sagging.

Any body else have special rules?
Amy Remixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 230/202.2/150

Height: 5'5"

My only hard and fast rules are:

1) Don't ever stop trying

2) If I mess up, hop right back on the bandwagon
shutterbugmama84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

A loose rule I have for myself is if I want to eat something, I make it myself. There are exceptions, like some great local sustainable restaurants around here, or something really out of the ordinary, but if I want a pizza, I have to make it. If I want a burger, I have to make it. If I want chicken wings, I have to make it.

I've found that after so many years, I really have difficulty preparing incredibly unhealthy foods. Anything I make, I'm always conscious of how to add nutrition and cut calories and saturated fat.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #4  

I think those are GREAT rules! One rule I have is to buy second-hand (or at least shop sales) until getting to goal weight, because it's frustrating to spend a lot of money on something you think you will wear more than just a few times before it is too big.

One thing that helped me immensely when beginning to lose weight was learning to listen to myself, and prioritize accordingly.
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 298/ticker/175

Height: 5'7"

My rules:

-Eat 2 servings of fruit every day.

-Eat at least 3 servings of vegetables every day.

-If I mess up, don't beat myself up. Acknowledge it and move on.

That's actually all I can think of.
Garnet2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 234/224.2/220 to start

Height: 5'5

Mine are:
Eating until no longer feeling hunger pangs
Also not to beat myself up if I slip-up, the next meal I WILL do better!
Not feel deprived of something I'd like to have, just have it small portion.
1Cutesmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:49 PM   #7  
Skinny chick

Don't eat off anyone else's plate.
Get on the scale every day.
Write it ALL down.
NCchickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
A loose rule I have for myself is if I want to eat something, I make it myself. There are exceptions, like some great local sustainable restaurants around here, or something really out of the ordinary, but if I want a pizza, I have to make it. If I want a burger, I have to make it. If I want chicken wings, I have to make it.

I've found that after so many years, I really have difficulty preparing incredibly unhealthy foods. Anything I make, I'm always conscious of how to add nutrition and cut calories and saturated fat.
I like this one to!
Old 07-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 275.4/258.6/200

Height: 5'1"

No drive thru.

No chips.
NJChick78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCchickie View Post
Don't eat off anyone else's plate.
Get on the scale every day.
Write it ALL down.
My list seems to be getting a little longer. I like the last 2 especially.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:57 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 221/196.3/130

Height: 5'2

1) Don't let guilt stop me. If I go off plan and eat something I shouldn't, I let myself wallow in guilt for 15 minutes before moving forward. I can't change what I did, I can only change what I do next.

2) Avoid fast food. Since starting my weight loss journey, I have not had McDonald's, Wendy's, Taco Bell, etc....and these used to be common meals at least twice a week if not more! I know there are going to be times where I will need to go to one of these places out of convenience, but I do keep a memo on my smartphone of meals I can get that will fall into my diet plan if I do need it.

3) Always have healthy food in my fridge. I like to cook things in bulk so I can just grab it and go. It is easier for me to curb the habit of getting fast food if I already have food in my fridge to eat. (you can do a google search for OAMC-once a month cooking, and get tons of recipes for full meals that you can freeze and cook!)

4. Move. I still struggle with this because a lot of my hobbies and activities rely on me sitting. But instead of asking my fiance to grab me a bottle of water, I'll get up and grab it myself. Or I'll be more proactive about taking my dogs outside more frequently, etc. Now that I use a fitbit, I noticed that those little habits are adding up...3-4 additional flights of stairs, over 400 steps. It may not seem like a lot, but it's more than what I was doing.

5. Be selfish. I have always been a helpful person, and will frequently help others over helping myself. If something wasn't cooked right, I'd still eat it because I didn't want to get anyone in trouble. With my weight loss journey, I realized that I would need to be selfish. I would need to ask that things be prepared differently at restaurants, I would need to ask questions. I would need to tell my friends "no, I'm not coming to that party" instead of going and being miserable. I make decisions that are best for me, not decisions that would be the best for others.
Buffinlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:57 PM   #12  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

• Log what I eat in MFP (preferably the night before)
  • Weigh every morning (and no other time)
  • Walk 20 minutes, twice a day, 5 days a week
  • Don't miss posting in the Beck forum here two days in a row
  • Bring my lunch to work every day--and pack it the night before
  • No unplanned snacking at work--ever
  • Protein and carbs for breakfast
  • Measure and weigh everything I make at home
  • Plate meals and no serving family style
  • Always eat sitting down, with all the food already put on my plate
  • Eat slowly and mindfully
  • No sweets except after dinner (and those are limited)
I'm working on party rules--I'm not there yet, but I'm working on it. I'm not good at buffets yet--but I'm working on that, too.

The no eating anything unplanned at work has been key to my success--it was always my downfall when I told myself I'd start "today".

I know that's a lot of rules--but it's working for me!
bethFromDayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #13  
Maintaining since 2013

S/C/G: Sz 20/Sz 8/Maintain

Height: 5'11

Here are some rules I have that has helped me reach my goal:

- When going out to eat, research the menu online first.

- Never deprive myself. If I'm craving something I work it into my calories, burn some of it off and enjoy every bite! A lot of times I will make things at home too which makes me feel better because I know what's going into my treat. I used to deprive myself and have major binges.

- Try to drink mostly water and tea. Limit pop and fruit juices.

- Enjoy a relaxed meal once or twice per week.

- Do something active everyday even if it's just a 10 minute stretching video unless my body tells me to chill out that day.

- Stop eating after my last meal. No snacking. No treats.

Edited to add:

- Write down everything I eat and drink and be mindful of my daily macros.

Last edited by SunnySide99; 07-19-2013 at 04:02 PM.
SunnySide99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #14  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

• Write down everything I eat. Everything.
  • No more soft drinks unless they're sweetened with either stevia, sucralose, or my own additions of sliced fruit.
  • Choose whole grains over processed white foods when possible.
  • Avoid added processed sugar whenever possible; instead, enjoy foods with naturally occurring sugars (like fruit and honey) in moderation.
  • It's ok to leave a plate unfinished. Really, it is.
  • Always be calorie aware; look up restaurant nutrition info, check labels, and watch portion sizes. Don't use ignorance as an excuse to accidentally consume 1000+ calories in one meal!
  • Always have pre-prepared or easy-to-make foods available at home; making healthy food a convenience is top priority!
  • Always have a big batch of salad prepared so I can easily scoop out a serving of veggies to go with my meals (my salads include dark greens, lots of chopped veggies, and some chopped fruit).
  • Have a go-to "safety" list for all fast food and sit-down restaurants I frequent so I can confidently order something in any given situation (I used to keep a list of acceptable meals from each restaurant in a small notebook for my purse, and smartphones are great for looking up info on new places).
  • Carry Quest bars in my purse as an emergency go-to snack; much better to eat one of those than grabbing something from a vending machine or convenience store!
  • Splurges are reserved for special occasions (including Wednesday nights), and splurges never get out of hand or become an excuse to binge.
  • When tempted to stray off-plan, remind myself why I'm eating healthier in the first place and think about what direction my decision will take me. How will it make me feel at the end of the day? Will I feel proud or will I be fighting off guilt?

Last edited by Elladorine; 07-19-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 249/~~~/149

Height: 5'6

One more thing I do... If it's not a veggie or fruit, I look at each bite before I eat it. I contemplate it. Is it good for me? How hard will I have to work to get rid of it once I swallow it? This saved me from some cheese and carbs earlier this week.
Amy Remixed is offline   Reply With Quote