3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Just need a bit of reassurance (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/284697-just-need-bit-reassurance.html)

schubunny 07-12-2013 11:33 AM

Just need a bit of reassurance

Hello Ladies/Men! :)

I am back on the gym train since early June. I had put my membership on hold and just watched my calories until I could go back this July 2nd.

I had been pretty heavy on the cardio and especially weights since I went back, and was sore last week, but feeling pretty good this week. I also went to the gym only once this week (I know, bad me, I had an appointment and a horrible time at work). I plan to start back religiously on Monday!

Anyway, to my question.

I did my measurements back in April, and have not done them again until today. Everything went down or stayed the same except my waist and hips. They both went up 1 to 3 inches to the point that those areas matched my measurements I logged back in February! Oh my.. Funny thing is my weight is lower than in February! (but not the lowest it has been) at 198 lbs.

Can anyone give me ideas on what is happening here -could it be water retention, maybe from sore muscles since I did a bit of lifting and squats at home yesterday morning?

I am someone who does retain water very easily. Any time I eat a bit more salt, don't drink an extra cup of water, or have a beer I retain pounds worth. Is there a way to not fluctuate so much?

I try not to let these things get to me, but it just made me so sour this morning :dizzy:

schubunny 07-12-2013 11:27 PM

Anyone? :(

amandie 07-12-2013 11:41 PM

Hey, it may be water retention or you may have measured in the wrong places? I personally think the waist and hips can be hard to measure accurately every time. Are clothes fitting better now on the bottom (waist/hips/legs) compared to April?

If you ever figure out a way not to fluctuate so much, let me know! I just try to drink enough water and avoid sodium laden food but eh, it happens as long as I know it's not an actual gain if I'm doing everything right, ya know? :)

Anyway, keep up the great work and just do what you can gym-wise!

Mozzy 07-13-2013 12:34 AM

My guess is you measured in a slightly different spot...
Good luck and keep up the good work

ILoveVegetables 07-13-2013 08:41 AM

The opposite thing happened to me recently, where I thought I had lost an inch or so, but my weight was creeping up. Your scenario is preferable to that :p

It turned out that I was measuring a little higher on my hips. It's really easy to hold the measuring tape a little tighter, or subconsciously suck your stomach in while measuring.

I would suggest that you don't worry about it and keep at your normal routine. You have your ultimate goal and a couple of hiccups or uncertainties here and there are bound to happen. Good luck :)

schubunny 07-13-2013 10:47 AM

I try to measure in the same spots but you girls could be right. I just thought 3 inches was pretty high. My pants feel the same or smaller than in Feb, and I definitely lost pounds.

Thank you for the kind words and support, I'm going to go swimming today and tomorrow then back to the gym Monday :)

SuperCecilia 07-13-2013 02:45 PM

I trust how clothes fit more than I trust the tape measure because as others have said, you can hold the tape measure tighter/looser, or on a slightly different spot - but a pair of jeans can't lie. Don't let it get you down and keep up the great work!