3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Low Blood Sugar (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/284518-low-blood-sugar.html)

LaceyCen 07-08-2013 11:32 AM

Low Blood Sugar

I've been calorie counting for almost 3 years now and just recently decided to try keeping up with my carbs as well, thinking it would help the weight come off faster. It hasn't, it's still almost impossible to lose weight, but not eating white carbs has helped control my hunger so I've stuck with it.

The problem is, after about two months of eating moderate carbs (50~80 net), I'm having weird spells of low blood glucose levels. The last week they've gotten pretty bad and I've almost passed out several times.

Before starting moderate carbs, my fasting levels were steady around 102 every morning (a little high, but the doctor I saw about it said it was nothing to worry about). This morning my fasting level was 78, and I was feeling almost normal. Right now I know it's dropped severely as I'm getting that same light-headed feeling, but I'm currently away from my testing meter.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I'm not sure if I need to go back to eating normal carb levels and sugar, because I can't keep going with this horrible feeling like I'm going to collapse.

For the record, I'm a 23 y.o. female, eating ~1800 calories a day and getting my carbs from veggies and fruits and I take a vitamin every day. I only drink water and I have no unhealthy habits. And it's not sudden weight loss doing this, I'm lucky to lose one pound a month.

rubidoux 07-08-2013 08:46 PM

If anything, you'd want to go even lower in carbs if you're having low blood sugar. What you really need to do is feed your body in such a way that it stops secreting so much insulin. If you get the carbs very low, you should be able to avoid the insulin spikes which are driving your blood sugar down.

Another thing to consider, though, is whether you are actually having low blood sugars. People who have gotten used to having their blood sugar higher get used to that and then have low-like symptoms when it comes back to normal range. When people are newly diagnosed w type II and change their diet or start meds they often have this problem. So, you may want to catch a few of these lows on your meter before you change things around bc of them.

As an aside, there are a lot of people who don't lose at that level of carb restriction. A lot of people need to go down to 30 or even 20 g before they get the benefit of ketosis. I try to stay under 12 g myself. I did 20-35 for about four years a while back and lost nothing and thought low carb would not help me lose. Then finally I went lower and WOW!!! I was so excited to see the scale finally move. :)