3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Anyone have Hypothyroidism? I need some support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/284396-anyone-have-hypothyroidism-i-need-some-support.html)

katevangogh 07-05-2013 11:47 AM

Anyone have Hypothyroidism? I need some support

Hey all,

I found out that I have Hashimoto's and Hypothyroidism in the beginning of June. Since starting medication, I haven't really noticed a difference. I've begun working out at least 30 minutes a day, eating healthy and have had no progress.
I know that my medication needs to be corrected and I have to go get my blood tested every 6 weeks, but I'm so tired of this stupid disease. I'm sick of not having energy, for working my butt off and not seeing any results.

So I guess this post is mainly for myself to rant, but if anyone has this disease, any advice, stories, or recommendations on exercises and diet would be great.

QuilterInVA 07-05-2013 12:00 PM

Do you weigh and measure your food? You can eat healthy but still eat too much. 30 minutes of exercise is good to stay healthy but you need at least 60 minutes 6 days a week for it to impact your weight. Weight loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise. Avoiding processed foods and eating more protein is a help. I Have Hashimoto's myself (and it its hypothyroidism so you don't have 2 things). I find that strength training is a must. We not only want to lose fat, we want to preserve the lean body mass we have (muscle). Avoid soy products, vegetables like cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and others in that family unless they are cooked. You haven't been on medication very long and it can takes several adjustments to get the right dosage. Once the dosage is correct, you will find it easier. I've been on Synthroid since I was 20 years old and I'm now 71 so lots of experience. I also lost over 200 pounds and have maintained it.

Good luck!

GlamourGirl827 07-05-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuilterInVA (Post 4786638)
Do you weigh and measure your food? You can eat healthy but still eat too much. 30 minutes of exercise is good to stay healthy but you need at least 60 minutes 6 days a week for it to impact your weight. Weight loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise. Avoiding processed foods and eating more protein is a help. I Have Hashimoto's myself (and it its hypothyroidism so you don't have 2 things). I find that strength training is a must. We not only want to lose fat, we want to preserve the lean body mass we have (muscle). Avoid soy products, vegetables like cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and others in that family unless they are cooked. You haven't been on medication very long and it can takes several adjustments to get the right dosage. Once the dosage is correct, you will find it easier. I've been on Synthroid since I was 20 years old and I'm now 71 so lots of experience. I also lost over 200 pounds and have maintained it.

Good luck!

^This^

I have also found that eating lower carb helps me. I read there may or may not be a connection with thyroid disorders and other metabolic issues such as insulin resistance. I've heard from other people with thyroid problems that they do better following a low carb diet. Again I don;t have any thing concrete to offer about that, its just been my personal experience.