Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #1  

Default Trying SO hard and NOT succeeding!

I am hoping for some help I have been dieting since I was a teen. I have ALWAYS been fat. I have lost and gained more times than I can remember!
I am now on Weight Watchers (have lost on it before) and am currently starting my 5th week. I also have been counting calories as well as points to make sure I am within a certain number. I have checked on numerous sites how many calories I should have to maintain my weight and how many I need in order to lose 2 lbs a week. I have done that, exercised (but not too much), drink lots of water (but not too much), watch my salt and sugar. I have done everything I know how and gained 1 1/2 lbs this week. I know all the excuses for WHY I gained and haven't lost but it makes NO sense. If I eat 7000 calories less I SHOULD lose 2 lbs. Please Help - I just can't seem to get below my weight of 207 no matter what I do!!! I have also tried eating more calories one day and less the next to "fool" my body into losing.
Thanks for any help you can give.
ML
showchinesecresteds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 164/see ticker/125

Height: 5 feet even

If you are hitting all the points

~really measuring your portions, not 'cheating'

~eating considerably less than you were before you were dieting

~overall consuming significantly less calories than before

then you WILL lose weight.

Our bodies are not ATM machines, you don't stick a plan in, and instantly get given a result back.

You could be retaining water, have shocked your system a bit, or a bunch of other things.

You've done it before, so you know it's not a magic potion, or insta-skinny plan. It's dieting.

In some ways, it sucks. You're hungry, and do without food (at times) and don't instantly see results the next day.

It takes consistency and dedication. The weight WILL come off. You know that. It takes a fairly considerable amount of calories to maintain 200 lbs, so you know you are at a deficit.

Allow it to work for you. Give your body a chance to get in the rythmn of losing weight. Eat well. GET SLEEP!! And relax.

You have this, you just have to stick it out.
Katydid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #3  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

How many calories are you eating? If everything you're saying is accurate, I'd say up your exercise (if possible) and if that doesn't work, then perhaps a visit to the doctor makes good sense to see if there's anything else going on. I hope you figure it out.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Most people actually do not lose what the "math" predicts. I read an article recently that found the average is actually half what the math predicts. This suggests that the math is wrong. Also, your body may burn fewer or more calories than average, so there's no way for you to measure your deficit, at least not without the aid of equipment.

And (this is important) bodies don't always work on a weekly timetable. It's not at all uncommon to lose nothing for several weeks (even if they're your first few weeks) and the weight may never come off at a regular pace. You may always see periodic gains and stalls throughout your weight loss.

Let's assume that you are actually operating in a 7000 calorie deficit per week. You are not guaranteed a 2 lb loss every week. You may lose 1 lb, you may gain 5, but if you operate in that same deficit for two month, you probably will see a total loss of 8 to 16 lbs. The 8 would be more likely (according to the newer research).

And this assumes your body is average, and it may not be - you could lose 4 lbs or 24.

The problem with trying to do the math is that you can be fairly precise with calorie intake, but you can't precisely control or even determine your calorie expenditure. The very act of calorie restriction can affect the number of calories burned, so dieting actually can change the math in ways we can't always predict.

Your problem appears to be that you're perfectly normal and so are your expectations. Your expectations are normal, but not accurate, which is why weight loss isn't normal for anyone. We give up in frustration, belieing we're failing, when the truth is we're succeeding as well or better or at least not too far from the norm
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #5  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Like Katy said - weight loss is not linear.

Fat loss and weight loss are not the same thing. Knowing the difference can help stay on track.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #6  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Ok, I'm on my iPad right now so it would be a pain to post my graph, but look at my goal thread, I have a graph of my weight loss. IT WASN'T LINEAR. My weight was all over the place but overall it went down.

Right now I'm trying to take a few pounds off and the scale isn't moving as much as it "should" according to math...but I know I'm due for a "whoosh" down at some point, so I'm not stressing.

Relax! The weight will come off if you're watching your food intake
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #7  

Thank you everyone!!!! I guess I just needed the confirmation that I am going to eventually lose this time! I am eating between 1300 and 1350 per day.
I have a bad knee but I do walk 1-2 miles a day. I also do leg exercises for the knee.
I am just going to continue on one day at a time and maybe instead of weighing weekly will try to go for every 2 wks. I can get my head to think I am getting thinner and then get on that dreaded scale and all my good thoughts vanish LOL!!!
Yes I have done every diet imaginable and the best was of course my first (my body didn't know what to expect). I did Stillman and lost 60 lbs in 6 wks and smashed my car from passing out (low blood sugar). So now trying to do it slow and healthy. Just need to get my head wrapped around how long it can take. Thanks again - all your comments REALLY helped. I have lurked here for months and everything everyone says about this being a great group of people is spot on!
ML
Old 06-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #8  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I just wanted to add that there have been times when I have put the scale away for a while....just because it was doing more harm than good. It might be a good idea for you to take some photos of yourself and measurements. The scale is only one tool that can give us an idea of what's happening, but that isn't the full picture. I recently watched a british documentary on youtube where the woman lost weight and a body scan revealed that she not only lost inches that were visible to the outside world, she also lowered the fat that was surrounding her organs, which yielded some of the more significant health benefits. I completely understand your frustration but just believe in the process and time will show you a lot of progress.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #9  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Hang in there. My weight loss has been stalled for close to five months. Last month I didn't even have any inches lost, but I've gone down a size in certain items. Take pictures, stick to plan and focus on how you feel and not the number.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 165/137/120

Height: 4'11''

It takes time. I was in the same boat as you for awhile. I was working and working and working and wasn't getting anywhere. Then 2 weeks would go by and I would see a great decrease in the scale, but then I would be right back up. There are SO many reasons why our weight fluctuates. Don't focus so much on the number, focus on how you feel. I've noticed I've been doing that and I don't stress as much. I'm feeling better, my clothes are fitting better and that's what I'm using as motivation. Keep it up, it won't happen in a day.
celigirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #11  

Yes, thanks again! I just spoke to someone who told me that stressing can have a big affect on weightloss. So will not weigh and just keep doing what I am doing. I do feel better so that is a BIG Plus! Thanks again!!!!!
Old 06-28-2013, 08:34 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 174/145.6/130-117

Height: 5feet1

Hey I just wanted to go off topic and comment on your name. I am a dog groomer and have a good friend with a Chinese crested powderpuff who I also groom. Are you a breeder/owner/handler? I have Pomeranians but they are nowhere near the standard. Doesn't change how much I love them! the female is registered but looks more like a Papillon than a Pom and the male is a puppy mill dog from the Humane society (from a raid they did). We have done obedience and agility. Maybe pm me if you would like to talk dogs!

Back on topic I have recently gone from weighing once a week to every day. In some ways it helps with the disappointment. I don't have the chance to build my hopes up (or lie to myself about how much I am eating) anymore. It's different for different people but just something to consider.

Last edited by Fluffypuppy; 06-28-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Fluffypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Perhaps you need to track carbs as well as calories?
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #14  

Hey Fluffypuppy! Yes My daughter shows (I used to before I got this big) in conformation, obedience, rally and agility. We also have a hl girl out with a handler who is campaigning her I don't know how to PM you. We are on facebook - Mary Lou Patti
Thanks for the idea. I had someone text me on facebook and said she goes off completely one day a month and eats everything she wants and it has shocked her system into losing?????? Sounded like an excuse to me but boy was I tempted yesterday LOL.