Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-30-2013, 03:29 AM   #1  

Unhappy Doing everything right, but everything is wrong!

Ugh!!!
I have been kicking my butt working out for the past month! Running two miles a day and doing some strength and then going to zumba most days on top of that! Plus I've been eating really healthy! I started seeing great results and was so happy! But suddenly my results were gone and I gained weight!!! Like fat on my sides): I have no idea why and I'm sick of crying over my weight when I'm trying so hard!! What's wrong with me?
Youngwildnginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:20 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Eating healthily won't make you lose weight. Eating fewer calories than you burn will. Start by examining exactly how much you've been eating and take it from there. Also, are you sure you gained weight or did you just have a couple of days of bloat from water retention?

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:45 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 182/145/119 keto

Height: 5ft2in

I stuck religiously to my diet/exercise plan with a healthy deficit etc, and managed to gain quite a few pounds over the course of a wee, it gradually came off the next week phew! So it could be that.

I'd agree with freelance momma, track everything you eat for a week or two and make sure you've got a reasonable deficit and make sure you aren't overestimating workout calories burned. If you eat back exercise calories you could consider not doing so for a week and see if that makes a difference?
Sheena82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:06 AM   #4  

Smile

Well what I've been eating is an organic cream of rice every morning (I'm obsessed with it) lol and then salads with either salmon or chicken and no dressing because I don't like any. And fruit or veggies throughout the day as snacks. You know it could be water weight that I've gained the past week. Do you know of any good detox drinks or anything that is good for removing it?
Old 07-01-2013, 09:36 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8

How many calories are you taking in? That doesn't look like much food.
fitbyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #6  
look to windward

S/C/G: 185/178/145

Height: 5'7"

Youngwildnginger: It's not just what you're eating that's important, but how much, as well. Use an app/website like MyFitnessPal to record portions and obtain a calorie count day to day. You don't have a starting weight or current weight listed, but generally a good plan is to find out your resting Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR, there are BMR calculators online), factor in the quantity and quality of your exercise, and cut calories from there. But be sure not to cut too much. Getting at least about 1200 calories a day is crucial, and if you're getting less than that, your body could be hanging onto weight as a protection against starvation.
nightwasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:27 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I swear by calorie counting and logging in some fashion. It is really easy to eat too much without realizing it.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:32 AM   #8  

I'm not sure how many calories I'm taking in, I've used those apps for counting them. But I don't eat packaged foods much and don't like measuring the amount of veggies and fruits I eat so it's difficult to get accurate results. I'll try to b more vigilant about it and use my app again. Thanks!(:
Old 07-02-2013, 02:52 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 221/196.3/130

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngwildnginger View Post
I'm not sure how many calories I'm taking in, I've used those apps for counting them. But I don't eat packaged foods much and don't like measuring the amount of veggies and fruits I eat so it's difficult to get accurate results. I'll try to b more vigilant about it and use my app again. Thanks!(:
I wasn't a big fan of weighing and measuring my food either, but it is really important to do it, at least at the start so you can get an idea of how many calories you really are eating. For example, I love bananas, and the grocery store where I get them generally has very large bananas versus the smaller more petite bananas, and after doing some research I discovered that the larger bananas are about 110 calories! Granted, it's healthier for me than the 110 calorie ice cream bar in my freezer, but for someone who is limiting their calorie count to 1200 net calories a day, I felt that to be just a little too high to be considered a snack.

My recommendation would be to focus on being as accurate as possible for 2 weeks, eating things that you would normally eat on a regular basis. Once you get the calorie count down for those, practice keeping the portion sizes the same. It does get a lot easier once you know the portion sizes you should be eating, and there will be less weighing and measuring involved.
Buffinlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:16 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffinlovin View Post
I wasn't a big fan of weighing and measuring my food either, but it is really important to do it, at least at the start so you can get an idea of how many calories you really are eating. For example, I love bananas, and the grocery store where I get them generally has very large bananas versus the smaller more petite bananas, and after doing some research I discovered that the larger bananas are about 110 calories! Granted, it's healthier for me than the 110 calorie ice cream bar in my freezer, but for someone who is limiting their calorie count to 1200 net calories a day, I felt that to be just a little too high to be considered a snack.

My recommendation would be to focus on being as accurate as possible for 2 weeks, eating things that you would normally eat on a regular basis. Once you get the calorie count down for those, practice keeping the portion sizes the same. It does get a lot easier once you know the portion sizes you should be eating, and there will be less weighing and measuring involved.
But I didn't think it was bad to over eat on fruit and veggies? I guess that calories add up, and any calorie is still a calorie.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:30 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 221/196.3/130

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngwildnginger View Post
But I didn't think it was bad to over eat on fruit and veggies? I guess that calories add up, and any calorie is still a calorie.
Even on plans like weight watchers, where they consider fruits and veggies to be free, or 0pts, they still recommend not going over 3-5 servings of fruits and vegetables per day, and that's where a lot of people make mistakes. Just because it's free, or lower in calorie, doesn't mean you can overindulge in it.

Vegetables, for the most part, have lower calories than fruits, but you still want to be as exact as you possibly can in the beginning. Getting a visual for the portion sizes and average calories is very important.
Buffinlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:42 AM   #12  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

Calories do add up! Half a small avocado is over 100 calories, bananas as stated above are over a hundred calories as well. Fruit is loaded with sugar an d 1/2 cup of strawberries is less than you think.

I recommend what the other posters have said and measure/ weigh every bit of food for a few weeks just to see how many calories you're actually taking in then adjust accordingly.
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote