Trying to figure out how to lose again

• Long story short I lost 80lbs awhile back on here. Then I got pregnant again and am now trying to lose the baby weight while breastfeeding. During my first pregnancy I lost a good deal of weight immediately but then started gaining it back again. Granted, my eating habits were BAD and I wasn't exercising much at all.

This time I'm exercising regularly and moving a lot during the day doing errands, chasing after my oldest etc while wearing my baby. I think between that and exclusively breastfeeding I'm really having a hard time figuring out how to eat enough to not feel starving all the time while still losing weight. Last time I weighed myself my weight actually went up!

Anybody have a suggestion on my calories with daily babywearing/walking+ exercising at least 3x per week (swimming and weight lifting) plus exclusively breastfeeding (5"6" and currently about 185lbs)? Food suggestions that are healthy that can been easily prepared/eaten on the run?
  • Did you check the free dieting website for calculator s? They estimate at around 2100 for a breastfeeder our height and weight. I would start there and see what happens. I would get some oatmeal and Fenugreek tea to keep up your milk supply :-)

I would keep meals fresh and simple and cook in bulk and crock pot when you can.
  • Congratulations on your second daughter!

I'm nursing Holly exclusively and haven't had any supply issues with the diet/exercise, which is just amazing for me, since I usually struggle even with high calorie amounts. For me, Atkins by the book (2002 DANDR) and capping my calories at about 1850 per day 90% of the time, with a higher calorie meal on a date every week or two, has seen me losing inches like crazy. I haven't weighed in for almost two months and don't plan to for a few months more, but my underbust measurement, for example, has lost almost three inches, and I'm down four inches on my waist since May. So even with a heavily nursing infant and modest calorie deficit I'm not having any issues with excess hunger or supply, and am clearly getting leaner. I'm still maintaining some belly fat I don't want, but that's secondary to the progesterone levels during nursing and to be expected.

I'm also doing my normal TTAP workout several days a week. That plus the whole foods, low carb plan, and I'm shrinking as well as could be expected with no noticeable issues in nursing, my own energy, etc.
  • Thanks for the suggestions. I have checked out a few calculators but normally they only give the option for working out X number of times per day but not always when you're relatively physically active due to errands/babywearing/taking care of kids. Sometimes I'll be out walking for 1-2 hours per day while wearing the baby so I know that has got to count for something.

I'm not too worried about my supply, if anything I always have an oversupply. However, the hunger I don't deal with well at all. It's extremely rare that I feel full after a meal (even if I ate a lot!). I'd like to calorie count for at least a few days to see what I need to be eating but I'm just not sure how much I should be eating, you know?

Most sites say eat until you're full/watch your hunger cues. That's great for someone who has never struggled with their weight but for me I know I need more than that.

Got to say this recent gain on the scale has really gotten to me. I thought losing this time wouldn't be hard since I lost all that weight before. I have to go back to work soon and nothing remotely fits.
  • June,

We have some similar stats so I thought I would share my experience. At my 6-week postpartum appointment with #2 I was 192 pounds. I "ate to hunger, drank to thirst" until my baby was about 2.5 months old. Then I realized that I really don't want to stay 192 pounds for long. When he was 2.5 months old I was slowly emerging from that new-baby fog and breastfeeding was well-established, so those were my signs I was ready to start working on this weight.

So my re-start was May 1st. I began by trying to stay within 1600-1900 most days. We eat a restaurant meal twice a week, so those are inevitably days that go higher, to maybe 2100-2300.

I am quite hungry on the days when I'm closer to 1600. In fact, I'm thinking of pushing my calories up higher, because I just can't seem to shake that hunger, no matter how nutritious the food I'm eating. I'm exclusively breastfeeding my 4-month-old. (With my first child, those same hunger cravings had me gaining weight through my child's first birthday.)

I would guess that I'm a little less active than you... we are out a lot, but I alternate between baby-wearing and stroller, and I haven't incorporated formal exercise back yet. With the calories I mentioned above, I have lost about 15 pounds since May 1st.

If I were you, provided your milk supply is well-established, I would start around 2000 calories and see where that takes you.

You asked about easy meals: I recently tried overnight oats and I liked those a lot- lots of nutrition packed into those calories. I also like to batch cook: So, a quiche I can eat on for days, or chili. Snacks include turkey jerky and a huge variety of seasonal veggies. I am in love with the Wholly quacamole 100-calorie packs.

Good luck. I felt so overwhelmed at first, but at this point I'm back in a groove and enjoying the results.
  • I started calorie counting at 3 months post partum (exclusively breastfeeding too) and my intake was 1850. Now at one year pp, and still bfing, my intake is 1500.

Initially I did notice a drop in my supply, though I still had enough for DS and did not need to supplement. I was also quite hungry for the first few weeks, but that's typical for me whether nursing or not. I'm always hungry, LOL.

A good way to get started might be to simply track how many calories you're eating for a little bit, maybe a week or so, without restricting yourself. Once you can see how much you're eating, you can adjust from there, maybe try dropping your average daily intake by 100-200 calories and see what happens?