Quitting smoking and weight loss

• I've been a smoker for a few years. Never liked it or been proud of it, just gave in I guess. I've never tried to quit, but I have gone periods of just not smoking for various reasons. I know the health implications and obviously they're not good. But all the crazy health effects aside, I'm worried that quitting will give me some weight gain or stalls. I'm still going to track everything I eat and monitor that so I won't go over, but I feel like ill feel starved all the time. The thing I've loved about counting calories is never having that starving feeling.

I know a lot of it for me is the motion of putting something to my mouth. I bought an electronic cigarette and I'm just fine with that. I know it'll be worth it in the long run and I'm going to stick to it.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice, words or wisdom, personal experience or any tips to curb any "cigarette appetite" feelings.

Can't wait until I don't have to scrub my hands to get that smell off! And run without gasping!!
  • I quit using an electronic cigarette too. July 27 will make it a year. I had zero cigarettes for 11 months then slipped up this week and had two. I'm moving on though.

What I found was that quitting smoking was the confidence builder I needed to get me to try to lose weight. I quit smoking end of July and started my weight loss end of November. You may find tat you feel so good about yourself for making all these positive changes that you are less likely to slip up! Also the electronic allows you to smoke more places so it may be easier than you think. Cutting down on cigarettes was key for me. I got down to one a day before I quit completely. Again, for me it was all about building confidence and this is how I did it. I got down to one a day then set a quit date three weeks away. By the time the quit date rolled around I was so excited and inspired and tired of my dirty habit that I never looked back (until this week but that was just a blip). I also called the Smokers Helpline and did all the preparation exercises on their website. That was helpful.

Good for you for getting to this point. I wish you all the best. Oh and with the electronic, I never felt like I was satisfied until I bought The Detonator box mod. Pm me for more info. I have tried just about everything there is in electronic cigarettes and would be happy to share my experiences with you.
  • Good luck! I'm using an e-cig too... not necessarily to stop but because it's healthier. Look into L-glutamine too. I take it whenever I have cravings for cigs, sugar & alcohol and it really helps.
  • I quit smoking reading the book "easy way to quit smoking" I have since then gained 25lbs. I am trying now to lose it that weight.. now that the cravings are over and done with, and I have no urges i am going to focus on getting over those sugar cravings now that I have overcome the nicotine cravings...i heard that smoking helps your metabolism...im hoping I will be able to lose and that quitting didnt kill the only metabolism i had inthe first place.
  • I quit smoking a few years ago now and I love it. I have no idea how much weight I gained. For I while I replaced smoking with eating. Working on that lol!

Those e-cigs scare the crap out of me, and more once I read this!!!!

Quote:
    GUNS N' ROSES Guitarist DJ ASHBA: Electronic Cigarettes Almost Killed Me - June 26, 2013

GUNS N' ROSES and SIXX: A.M. guitarist DJ Ashba claims that he almost lost his life after trying to quit smoking by using electronic cigarettes containing dangerous chemicals.

Ashba, who has been trying to kick the habit for at least a couple of years now, posted a photo on Instagram on Wednesday of himself smoking a cigarette. This prompted one fan to ask him: "I thought you quit the cigs, man?" The guitarist then replied: "I did quit [cigarettes] for 9 months. However, I was smoking fake cigarettes that I bought in a mall in Poland which contained high doses of nicotine and antifreeze, which kills people."

He continued: "Nobody knows this, but I was rushed to the hospital put on heart monitors and I had eight of the best doctors trying to save my life. Poison control confirmed that the nicotine intake that was going into my body from the fake cigarettes was equivalent to smoking 33 packs of cigarettes a day.

"After doing a full body CAT scan, the doctors were amazed that every organ in my body was in perfect condition. They advised me to start smoking real cigarettes because my body would go into shock if I just stop smoking, so now I can wean myself off of real cigarettes and hopefully quit for good this time."

He added: "We purposely kept this out of the press but that is the real story of why I am smoking right now."

Electronic cigarettes, also called "e-cigarettes," are battery-operated devices that generally contain cartridges filled with nicotine, flavor and other chemicals. The electronic cigarette turns nicotine, which is highly addictive, and other chemicals into a vapor that is inhaled by the user.
    I found it really wasn't that hard to quit (the second time), when I decided I didn't want to smoke anymore, I didn't. That was it, no patches, no weaning. I just had enough and stopped. I think in the last few years I "tried" it again 3 times. I think I just needed to make sure I still hated it. And once was for moral support (not a good excuse)
    I read the quit smoking the easy way the first time I "quit" I stopped for almost a year, then was too easily influenced by all my smoker friends and was back at it for another year. Now I just hate it. Smokers stink. I can't believe how bad I used to smell, or how my BF found me attractive back then. I would have gagged! Blech! It's stupid, expensive and disgusting! (I can say that, I was stupid, stinky and threw away more money than I care to admit! )

I think it comes back to that "It's not about motivation, its about commitment" thing! If you want to quit. Then quit. Just do it. 3 days and the cravings are mostly gone, if you let them!

It was the best thing I have ever done for my health.

ETA: Chew some sugar free gum and take up knitting or something to keep your hands busy for a while. It helps!
  • ^Moral of the story above: don't buy your ecigs from a random mall in Poland. There are plenty of reputable sellers who can tell you exactly what is in your juice. Anyone supposedly selling antifreeze wont remain in business very long.
  • I quit cold turkey July 4th last year. Just got tired of it controlling every facet of my life. The first 3 days were horrible. I now know a little about how other addicts feel.

I have to say that there are still days when I want to smoke, but I think its the action of it not the taste that I want.

I also gained lots of weight. Just started to work on that problem.

I do feel better and breathe better. Its also good not to have that cough.