Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-14-2013, 11:06 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Your doctor is following the standard advice for weigh loss which just doesn't work for carb sensitive people which you seem to be. Read the book Wheat Belly.

How much to you have to lose? Your comments in the spot for current weight etc are not very encouraging, being that hard on yourself makes the journey so much harder.

Last edited by patns; 07-14-2013 at 11:10 PM.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:25 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 157/157/120

Height: 5'0"

I'm also 5ft tall and have hypothyroidism. I get it. It sucks.

Calorie counting and planning out my meals + snacks is the only thing that works for me. If I don't, I totally get derailed.

I feel like my week is your summer and my weekends are your school years. I do really well M-F, but then fall off the wagon a bit over the weekend and have a gain. My weightloss chart is jagged rather than one long downward slope, but the point is that the overall trend is down.

You can do this. You just won't drop 20lbs in one week by cutting out one item. It blows. My calorie budget is lower than what many tall people will eat at their lowest weight. It just is what it is.
emurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:08 AM   #18  

OMG I am with you - It is SO frustrating to be doing everything right and the scale not doing it's part!!! I have found though when I stress over it I don't lose. When I let it go and realize the weight HAS to come off - even if it is at an excrutiatingly slow rate then it does. I honestly think our bodies hold the weight the more stressed we become. No not scientific just my perception. We are all here for you and we all know how you feel and what you are going through. Try to be easier on yourself and concentrate on things that do make you happy
showchinesecresteds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #19  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

I can empathize with the scale woes you are having. I wish I had great advice but I don't because I struggle the same as you do but I think my has to do with quitting smoking and hitting menopause.
What I am concerned about is your thoughts of binging/purging and getting so upset about it. The number you see on the scale is NOT a reflection of the type of person you are. Please give yourself a break. Please let up on yourself and be kind to yourself. Believe me it is not easy when we are so use to listening to the negative voice in our head but I am working hard at trying to ignore the negative voice and replacing it with more positive messages.
Best of luck to you my dear!
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:50 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 213/188/159

I recommend that you calorie-count for a week (if you're already doing it, disregard). Write down the calories of EVERYTHING that goes in your mouth, including sauces, dressings - whatever. You may think you should be losing, but it's likely that you're underestimating how many calories those rolls have or that's in that 7-Eleven apple fritter(!) You may actually be in a calorie surplus. But you won't know until you've done some calculating. Follow your daily diet, but this time add up the calories of everything you're eating. I'm leaning in the direction that it's not your thyroid that's the problem.

I had read that my daily maintenance should be around 2000-2200 calories a day. However, after extensive trial and error, I found that I didn't lose until I went to 1600/day - far below the recommended diet levels for an adult male. But, my particular metabolism must run at a snail's pace, so I had to adapt accordingly.

Last edited by tricon7; 07-15-2013 at 02:55 PM.
tricon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

In the 20 years I've had type I no doctor has ever given me sane diet advice that worked. I had one that told me just to eat a cucumber for lunch!

I tried everything to lose before I figured out low carb (sounds like you haven't actually tried it yet???). Then I started losing at a rate of about 10 pounds per month w no exercise. At that point I started exercising and my loss has slowed down a lot, but I feel great and my body is looking fitter and I'm still losing, just slowly.

I eat quite a bit of cheese! I am addicted to Trader Joe's Unexpected Cheddar and consider it to be my favorite diet food.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #22  

Are you a student at a university? I would suggest that you go to the student psychological services for an appointment. Your issues right now seem to stem a lot deeper than carrying excess body fat.
TheGreatDepression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:08 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 220

Default Ideal protein

I started the ideal protein diet a week ago, following a trip to my endocrinologist where i was told im over producing insulin. My consultant told me not to get onto the scale, but who of use can avoid that when on a diet? i have lost 1lb?I am so disappointed that that is all i have lost. I dont stay and now all i can do is stress over it, cant sleep even.

Anyone on this diet have any advise?
JudiCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:26 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 276/182/160

Height: 5'8

Have you ever considered an elimination diet? Eliminating certain foods for a temporary time and seeing how you feel on that?

Also, I've not lost weight when working out a lot simply because I wasn't eating enough for how active I am.

One other thing: I do Paleo/Primal and I'm a huge fan! I read what Jez mentioned about cutting out grains and wanted to throw that out there.

I know when you're trying to lose weight and putting SO much work into it, you want results but try to think about how awesome and powerful you are! Biking 14 miles a day??? You're a rockstar!! Even if you haven't lost weight, the improvement in health is there!
StrangeJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:52 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 192/183/120

Height: 5"5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez View Post
There is no reason to be afraid of saturated fat, nor cholesterol. Dietary cholesterol has very little impact on blood cholesterol.
Wrong. Dietary cholesterol has a HUGE impact on blood cholesterol. First thing a doctor will say to someone with borderline high cholesterol is to change the diet and see how it goes.

I empathize with you tho', but if you don't do it for the weight, do it to be healthier, is your thyroid medication at the right dose now ? Cause if you still have that problem not fixed, it might be the cause ! Visit a nutritionist, and try to build muscle mass not do just cardio. Whether your body likes it or not, more muscles = more base calories burnt.
How many calories are you at a day ? Do you have a lot of " cheat meals " ?
Personally i plateaued for 2 weeks, maybe your body needs more time, first rule of all diets : never give up, never surrender
Mayssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #26  

Have you heard of Raven, from that's so Raven? She lost a ton of weight and people keep asking her how she did it. She eats the same amount of food she ate when she was bigger. Says the only thing that really changed was her attitude and how she thought about it. Sometimes stress can be a huge factor in weight loss.
Ayashino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #27  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayssa View Post
Wrong. Dietary cholesterol has a HUGE impact on blood cholesterol. First thing a doctor will say to someone with borderline high cholesterol is to change the diet and see how it goes.
I'm not an expert on this topic but from what I have read most people do not have cholesterol levels directly affected by dietary cholesterol. There are some people who are sensative to this, much in the same way some people are salt sensative.

While I agree a doctor might suggest such a dietary change due to cholesterol levels this is not evidence that your assertion is correct.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 192/183/120

Height: 5"5

@JohnP : Is is affected by a LOT of factors but dietary fat (especially saturated fat) do play a role. Other foods that lower cholesterol play an important role as well. Omega 3 pills for example lower LDL ("bad cholesterol") while increasing triglycerides level. Eating fish high in omega-3 will do the same thing as the pills. Saying you shouldn't be afraid of eating tons of cholesterol and fat because it won't affect your blood levels that much is not accurate. It affects it to at least 5%, then eating cholesterol lowering foods will lower it even more. Eating the right fats is extremely important.

Source: I'm a last year pharmacy student, and i fetched out some articles for you if you're interested (can't post links yet, sorry about that)
w ww.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21233620
w ww.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1312230/
Mayssa is offline   Reply With Quote