Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 340/316/160

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy 24 years old and 350lbs..

Hi, I am a college student, married, and now 350 lbs. I've been overweight since I can remember but now I am married and my husband had the gastric bypass surgery. We enable each other to overeat unhealthy foods nearly everyday. We make plans almost on a daily basis to start a diet and exercise plan but it never sticks.

I am getting scared. I want to have children one day and there's no way possible with the size I am now. My husband has nearly put all of his weight back on too. Does anybody have any advice on how we can both push each other to get healthy?
vatermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

I found, for me, the best thing to do was just...do. I had to stop saying "tomorrow" and make "tomorrow" today. It is all in the approach. Go for a walk daily. Start slow and increase gradually. It is doable. Promise
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 277/tckr/190

Height: 5'6

Welcome!!!! The first step is to stop saying tomorrow even if you had a bad breakfast/lunch make dinner a good meal and don't go crazy with the late night snacks. What I did to start was clense my house, it was too easy to go to the fridge and find chocolate/unhealthy snacks so I donated most of the stuff I had and started fresh. When the urges to eat came I went to my kitchen and had a ton of healthy stuff, most of the times I ended up not eating because nothing in the fridge looked appetizing and I was too lazy to go to a store and get the snacks I wanted so it was big help. If you are 24 and you committed to marriage you can totally do dieting, I'm 25 and just thinking about marriage gives me goosebumps...series comitment issues LOL.
GMNEVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

For my husband and I, we're still learning how and when we can help and when we need to get out of each others way. For a while we had to "butt out" of each other's weight loss.

Now we're trying to come together more, but it does seem easier to influence each other towards bad habits rather than good. We've talked about setting individual and joint goals and rewards, but I haven't decided on mine yet.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 310/*look*/140

Height: 5'9

If you are thinking about it and openly discussing it, that's a positive start! My fiance and I (I'm 26) were the SAME exact way, but we started taking baby steps and so far have lost 90 lbs between us! (since Dec.) Maybe starting small would help, choose ONE thing to change (no more soda, or drinking enough water each day), and stick with it for a while until you feel comfortable adding one more small thing (daily walks after dinner or a salad for lunch). It doesn't work for everyone, but we decided to eat what we want each Saturday, it helps us stay on track throughout the week and we look forward to cooking a special meal together each Sat, or eating out. You can do this! If you have myfitnesspal feel free to add me for support.
Lecomtes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

It's great that you do have someone there who you can do this with, of course that only works if he wants it. And you have the perfect motivation to stick with it, starting a family. My fiance and I are both trying to get healthier before our wedding. I made a conscious effort to start losing weight Nov. 1st and he did the same Jan. 1st. Since then I've lost 40 pounds and he's lost 45.

The best way to do it really is to start slow and focus mainly on your diet. Look at portion sizes. At first you're going to think the recommended portion sizes are ridiculously small, at least that's what we thought. Our normal dinners were at least double the size and more so on carbs. Now 7 months later I can't eat more than that or I'm in so much pain. Buffets are a thing of the past as we can't get our moneys worth!! Oh and an easy thing to do is keep the junk food out of the house or have small amounts and tell yourself that's all you get for 2 weeks and stick with it.

Good luck with your journey.
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:40 PM   #7  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote