Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 135/171/140

Height: 5'5

Thumbs down Celexa weight gain help!

Hello everyone, Im desperate to hear about others weight loss experiences after stopping Celexa. I have gained 40lbs in the year that I was taking the SSRI, and have been off of the drug for 3 weeks now. I have worked out strenuously while on and off of the drug and have eaten healthy foods, but the weight will not budge. I need to know this will come off eventually, Im miserable and uncomfortable at this weight....
spinderella7713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/173/140

Height: 5'3"

hi! i spoke to my doctor at length about Celexa. ( I have been on it for 2 years) and weight gain. he said contrary to popular belief it does not slow down your metabolism and if anything it can help you be motivated to lose weight. Sometimes the weight gain is because you feel less anxious and depressed. Either way, i have gained a lot of weight (30 pounds) and SSRI or not I am determined to take it off. My advice is to not obsess about how you got here, but to concentrate on the positive and getting it off!
madeleine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinderella7713 View Post
I have worked out strenuously while on and off of the drug and have eaten healthy foods, but the weight will not budge.
You probably know this already, but "healthy foods" are not what make the scale budge. A calorie deficit is what does it. Perhaps you can start by reviewing your caloric intake (including all those hidden snacks and nibbles) to see if you've been eating more than you think. Whenever I do this exercise, I discover that I've been underestimating my calories.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:41 PM   #4  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

I've been on Celexa forever five years. I started off overweight on the drug, gained weight and also lost weight.

Celexa did not make me gain or lose.
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #5  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Celexa...definitely connected to weight gain in me. But given my choices, sanity and some semblance of being able to function in a positive way seemed to be the most important to me.

I am currently doing Ideal Protein Diet and am experiencing good success . It is a ketogenic diet. I'm now interested to read that ketogenic diets help to ward off depression -- in some cases, the diet can be used to help treat it. In some people, ketogenic diets are known to create a sense of bliss.

For me: 3 weeks in, 20 pounds down, no trouble with cravings or hunger, and an increased sense of energy. Sleeping well at night. And aim able to face work challenges without a struggle.
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #6  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Ps: I don't completely trust what doctors have to say about medicine/pharmaceuticals. It is not their field of expertise. Pharmacists are more in the know about drug side effects. And even at that, the pharmaceutical companies really don't know all the effects until there have been years and years of use.

But we each have to make our choices and we each have only one life to live.
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #7  
Making it a lifestyle!

Height: 5'9.5"

oops, wrong thread, sorry!
Good luck with your weight loss though. It may take some time, but as long as you're in a calorie deficit (definitely echoing freelancemomma's advice), you WILL lose weight.

Last edited by Chronostasis; 06-10-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Chronostasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:05 AM   #8  

Diet pills functionality varies from person to person as per their body behaviors. Some people hadn't experienced with any side effects and some may have experienced. Still I hadn't taken any pill for my weight issues, for weight loss it would be better to go diet and exercises.
XzavierDavies is offline   Reply With Quote