Exercise...Ugh...no motivation.

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • No motivation because I'm just always tired.

Now, this is totally an excuse. I know people here have full time jobs and are full time parents and they get their work-outs in every day. So why can't I? I'm not even a parent!

I wake up, tired...like literally roll out of bed the last hour before work so I have time to eat something before getting ready for work. I come home from work mentally ready and wanting to exercise but physically so worn out I would be lucky if I get any of my chores done. Feet hurt, legs hurt...I don't want to work-out. I crawl into bed and hope to sleep enough to get up and feel good about working out...but I never do.

I've lost over 50 pounds and I did it without any exercise at all, my job was my activity. (though, no accelerated heart rate.)
    This past month and a half my weight loss came to a screaming halt and I've been stuck at this weight for over 6 weeks. I know, deep down that it's because I need to start working out. I think I reached the limit that my body will lose with just diet.
    I'm so confused that even after all this weight loss I have no energy. And I know exercise is supposed to give you energy and help you sleep, but what do you do till that kicks in?
  • What is your calorie intake per day? Depending if it's low, that could cause some fatigue as your body needs fuel to just 'be', let alone exercise. Also, an adequate amount of protein and carbs are needed for exercise. The more calories we use up during exercise, the more we need to eat. Now some people, including myself, don't always eat back my exercise calories. I do IF I'm hungry. If I'm not, then I won't. But I'm also at a 1600-1700 calorie a day limit. Once I have to go below that and dip into 1500 or 1400 calories, I will definitely eat back my exercise.

You might want to try upping your caloric intake. Remember, it takes 3500 calories ABOVE MAINTENANCE, to gain a pound. So by upping your caloric intake for a couple weeks, by 200-300 (random number) a day.. That will provide enough fuel for your body to run, and you won't gain weight.

Think of your body like a car. If your gas light is on, you can go 80km/h (50mph) safely for about 30 kms before you run out. Now if you were to stomp the gas, and go say 120km/h, you're going to run out much faster. Apply that to your diet.

Hope this didn't confuse the heck out of you, and hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Good luck!
  • I think you should do weights. Get some dumbells and use them before work...first thing in the morning. No matter what. It will suck and you will just do it and get through it. You'll build up muscle (you can find tons of info from books and dvd's and youtube) and that will speed up your metabolism.

Also, as you get lighter, your body needs less calories to function so your weight loss slows unless you either up your activity level or decrease caloric intake.

It is REALLY hard to get started. I know! I am chronically sleep deprived and feel like I'm collapsing every night. I wake up early and workout. Do I want to? No, not at all. I will tell you though that it does get easier. It just as to be part of your routine. Put out your workout clothes the night before. Oh and I just read that if you workout on an empty stomach, you actually burn 20% more fat.
  • There are many causes of fatigue, and calorie restriction is one of them, even if you're not restricting very much. There are also many possible remedies.

If you haven't had a recent checkup get one if you can. Ask for metabolic and endocrine testing.

If you're not taking a multivitamin, fish oil, or Vitamin D, consider doing so. Talk to your doctor about dosages.

If you have any poor sleep habits, correct them to get the best sleep possible. There are a lot of good tips on reputable medical sites.

Exercise actually is one of the best remedies for fatigue, it's just so hard to get the ball rolling when you're fatigues.

I'm currently on disability for multiple health problem, but it isn't the pain, but rather the fatigue and related cognitive "brain fog" that has been disabling. It's hard to work with moderate to severe pain, but it's impossible to work if you can't stay awake and when you are awake your brain isn't working so you can't remember what you're supposed to be doing or how to do it.

If your fatigue isn't this bad, don't let it get there. If I had dealt with the fatigue proactively, before it became disabling, I would still Be working and doing more of the other things I love.

I've known for decades that an active lifestyle and a healthy diet improves energy levels, but it's difficult to find the motivation to get started, but once you do and make it a habit, it gets easier.

Life interferes with the best of plans, so it will always be easier to fall off the wagon than to climb back on, so I'm not saying any of this is easy, just that it's worth the effort.

I'm NOT saying I'm following my own advice all of the time, just that when I do I feel better - much better.
  • Getting started for me was the hardest. I have to still talk myself out if talking myself out of going to the gym, if that makes sense. Basically if I allow my brain to tAke over, I will use the smallest excuse not to work out.

I always feel better after I force myself to go. Without fail I feel better and am glad I did it. I take one day a week off from any "real" exercise usually Sunday, and Saturday is reserved for hiking, biking at the beach etc. Monday-Friday is the gym, yoga etc. just part of my workday.

It works for me, may not work for everyone. But like a previous poster said, do something everyday. It will suck, but eventually it won't suck as much, and then not at all!
  • You just do it, that's all. Your post reminds me of 2 of my most inspirational quotes:

"Those who argue for their limitations generally get to keep them."

"If you want it, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse"
  • Last night my husband and I realized we were using each other as excuses to avoid the gym (we're both on disability for pain and mobility issues, so we both have "bad days," but we were letting each other's bad days, not just our own hold us back.

We've decided that unless we're sick-in-bed-contagious, we are going to be at the gym EVERY DAY, and if we're up to nothing more than getting in the hottub, so be it.

As luck would have it, we both felt horrible this morning, but we went anyway. We talked about our plans, and both of us thought it would be a hot tub and sauna day only.

Once we got there however, we both ended up doing our normal water routines. I even ended up surpassing my prior workout by 3 laps.

The hot tub is my "carrot," and now that we've committed to going to the gym whether or not EITHER of us work out, I suspect we'll exercise much more often than we do not.
  • I know it's hard to believe but exercise actually gives me more energy. A workout or even a long walk invigorates me.
  • what about starting with just a walk? pretend you have a dog - you wouldn't let it stay cooped up all day, no matter how tired you are you'd take the pooch around the block, right? or at least to the mailbox? little baby steps add up to big changes if we give them enough time. start with something manageable even on the worst of days, just a short 5 min walk can change your attitude.
  • Try to start small, but be consistent with it. For the longest time, I wouldn't even go for a walk around the block. I've been walking every night for about 20 minutes and I won't lie, I get tired and winded. But I know eventually 20 minutes will be easy and then I can try 30 minutes.

I know how it is with a job on your feet all day. Is there any way you could get access to a pool or maybe buy a stationary bike for home use? You could try Craigslist. Then at least you won't be on your feet.

Just remember that the more you lose, the easier it will be on your body to be on your feet for long hours.
  • Quote: Last night my husband and I realized we were using each other as excuses to avoid the gym (we're both on disability for pain and mobility issues, so we both have "bad days," but we were letting each other's bad days, not just our own hold us back.

We've decided that unless we're sick-in-bed-contagious, we are going to be at the gym EVERY DAY, and if we're up to nothing more than getting in the hottub, so be it.

As luck would have it, we both felt horrible this morning, but we went anyway. We talked about our plans, and both of us thought it would be a hot tub and sauna day only.

Once we got there however, we both ended up doing our normal water routines. I even ended up surpassing my prior workout by 3 laps.

The hot tub is my "carrot," and now that we've committed to going to the gym whether or not EITHER of us work out, I suspect we'll exercise much more often than we do not.
    Yep! Totally the case. I find that even if I have to drag my butt to the gym, and really do not want to do anything, once I am there, I just figure..why not.
    Getting there, is the hardest, and it is right in my condo complex, I do not have to pay for it, drive to it, or do anything except walk across the courtyard!
  • Hi Sakai and all! I know exactly how you feel...I have been gaining and losing and gaining and losing and I know that if I could just get into a workout routine it would help so much but I just can't get myself to get off my butt and do it. I know that being so over weight adds to lack of energy and also I am on a low carb eating plan but I am hoping to find some way to force it. What is that quote..."fake it until you make it." Well I hope soon I will be able to take the advice from this quote and maybe that will get me going. I know with others they add calories or carbs but knowing how my body works with losing weight and food I am not willing to tweak that.

I would love to hear what ends up working for you...especially if I am still on the couch at that point!

Good luck!
  • Hi everyone! Thanks for all the kicks in the butt. I haven't counter calories in months, I think it's time for a re-evaluation. I have a treadmill at home and I normally would make myself do at least 5 min...because I always end up doing 20+ min walk/jog. I don't know why I stopped. I've been looking into resistance training and looking to find moose good workouts online. I figure on day my feet are falling off I can still work my muscles.
  • Quote: Hi everyone! Thanks for all the kicks in the butt. I haven't counter calories in months, I think it's time for a re-evaluation. I have a treadmill at home and I normally would make myself do at least 5 min...because I always end up doing 20+ min walk/jog. I don't know why I stopped. I've been looking into resistance training and looking to find moose good workouts online. I figure on day my feet are falling off I can still work my muscles.
    When I stop counting calories the weight starts to creep up again. I always thing "oh well I already know many calories are in this" and then I start eyeballing but apparently I've got huge eyeballs lol. I've been back to calorie counting recently and everything is back on track again. Someone on this forum recently said "abs are made in the kitchen" and it's soooooo true!
  • Sometimes... just putting some really energetic music on (disco lol) gets you mind set to move alittle as bodies tend to want to move to music and the beat... That in itself will get the "blood" moving.. then you can do all what everyone says above! Just turn on the music to turn you on!