Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-04-2013, 10:16 PM   #1  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Default OK, I got the wobbles

I have read about this before on 3FC but didn't quite believe it. Anyway, I have been trying my hand at some sports recently. Tennis yesterday, bowling tonight and I am doing real bad. Not just out of practice bad, but what the heck is my body doing bad! I have even been falling over.

This is unlike me as even at a bigger weight my coordination was very good.

The problem is that my brain does not seem to understand my smaller body yet. So I keep getting off balance and my limbs sometimes hit my other limbs.

It is all very strange.

Last edited by IanG; 06-04-2013 at 10:17 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #2  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Hang in there. It will get better. In the meantime, something that helped me a lot is doing the dynamic stability moves in the New Rules of Lifting Supercharged book.

You can get the book at a reasonable price at Amazon.com and they also have a forum board. http://jpfitness.com Very nice, helpful and wonderful folk there. Much like the people here!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: tick'

Height: 5'8

I second the book ^^

I do think it is normal for our equilibrium to be thrown off a bit with weight loss. Certain movements and "brace yourself stances", are no longer need (or the contrary!). Sounds lame for a man (but maybe not?) to try some yoga poses. The ones that get you into awkward poses you'd never do outside of yoga. Working at those might help.

I've been exercising using a stability ball for jack-knife exercises and planks. I look like a basket case when I try to hold still and stop the wobble. But even since last week of starting, I can ALREADY tell a difference in my stability.

You'll get there, we all will.

Last edited by Remington90; 06-04-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Remington90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:36 PM   #4  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

I see with my elementary students that occasionally they have a week or so where they are just tripping over their own feet, running into things and bumping into stuff for no apparent reason.....I theorize that this happens as their bodies grow and that their brain needs to catch up a bit to their growing limbs and bodies
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:45 PM   #5  
Jillian stole my abs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanlaughter View Post
I see with my elementary students that occasionally they have a week or so where they are just tripping over their own feet, running into things and bumping into stuff for no apparent reason.....I theorize that this happens as their bodies grow and that their brain needs to catch up a bit to their growing limbs and bodies
!

LIKE!
Old 06-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #6  
Trying to be in the 160s

Thanks everyone. I'll look into the book.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:14 PM   #7  
Jillian stole my abs!

The "New Rules of Lifting Supercharged" (NROLSC)is the 5th or 6th book/workout program written, buy the same set of 3 trainers, who also own gyms.

I have done New rules for women and abs, and am currently doing supercharged.

I love these programs, because they work, the authors know what they are doing, it's common sense, they have a sense of humor.

The biggest thing I liked was, if there is a move you physically cannot do, "don't do it"!

For me, box jumps, are part of power training that they recommend, not happening here, bad knee, so they give you other options, or just skip it!

They give you the program, but don't say, you have to it to a T. Do what you can, progress, if you can't do A, sub something else. Just keep moving!

It is a program built around helping us move toward not only fitness but functional fitness.

There are some moves I do more than others, because they help me with my job working for a veterinarian.

There are some others I do, because I like them!

Some I do, it's a challenge! Can I do this? Yes I can, not pretty, but gets better!

Cardio, is not their focus, but they don't leave it out, you do need some cardio.

They also have food recommendations/recipes/food progams, allowing for what works for the individual. Experiment.

Overall, it's a good, common sense approach to weight loss, muscle building, and overall, fitness and health, with a dash of humor tossed in!
Old 06-06-2013, 06:11 AM   #8  
Trying to be in the 160s

Thanks. It sounds just what I need.

I have my cardio sorted because I run every other day. And I am happy with my diet. So some tips on the strength training will really help me.

Thanks again!