Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 07:55 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #333

Just checking my email and thought I would stop in to see who had been here.

Maggie -- Our current WW leader is a DUD and there is no other way to describe her. She has no personality whatsoever and is so ho hum about everything. The meetings have dwindled back down to 2 or 3 people at the most. I read on another forum about using the large colored paper clips to make a chain; one clip for each pound lost and then the smaller paper clips for half pounds. You are supposed to hang it in the kitchen to remind yourself how far you have come, etc. Be sure to take a picture of your village when you are done . . . you could probably start a business online.

Bubbles -- I have been trying to send the sunshine your way! We had rain earlier today but it's cleared off and the sun is shining brightly. I like your candle/gift idea and I could probably even do that, the uncrafty soul that I am. It took the better part of the week to sort, pitch, and pack away our room. We worked on it in bits and pieces during the down time of exams. I'd hate to do it all in one day -- in fact, I don't think I could. I know you will enjoy the puppy -- does she/he have a name yet? There's nothing like a baby -- furry or otherwise! I had to laugh at your friend's MS sign . . . my DH thinks she is innocent. You are a sweetheart to do the games, etc., for your friend.

I need to pick up my kitchen and make a salad for tomorrow. Hope you all have a nice weekend!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 06-06-2003, 10:54 PM   #2  

All I have to say to you Bubbles is "You buckin' to be Ruth Buzzi?"

We had a situation this afternoon which dh saw as no big deal and scared me to death of course. As you know dh works as an electrician for the city of Memphis, waste water treatment plant. He fell into the raw sewage lagoon this afternoon, had to do what they call an emergency shower (all cold water no hot), all his clothes were thrown away, and he drove home naked underneath a clean uniform. We had to take him to the emergency center for a tetanus shot and antibiotics and he has to go back in 2-3 days for a recheck to make sure he is not showing any signs of anything, including hepatitis.

To take my mind off all it, he took me to see Bruce Almighty. I really hate Jim Carrey and don't like stuff that sounds like it makes fun of God, but I have to tell you this was a really good movie. I cried the last 20 minutes of the thing! I was bad though, I had a hot dog and soft drink, but I hadn't eaten and we spent 2 1/2 hours at the doctors! I guess that means tomorrow will be a big pool day!

Well, I need to go downstairs. If I don't talk to you anymore this weekend, hope everyone has an enjoyable one. Oh and Maggie, we still want to see some pics of those beautiful projects of yours!

Faye
Old 06-07-2003, 09:55 AM   #3  
Web Nana

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

WE'RE BACK!!!!! It was a long but fun 3 weeks. Although it was not as hot as other trips to the South have been we didn't run into much rain. One day it rained about 1hour around 4PM but then the sun came out and we were able to see the "Thunderbirds" perform from our hotel balcony at Myrtle Beach. It was 'fun in the sun' days at Myrtle Beach and they had a grand display. It included 4 prop planes that did aerobatics at sundown with their lights on. Spectacular!!! Actually got in the water one day, it was that warm. We also enjoyed the Outerbanks and they had a display of 'Flying Horses', which were plaster horses with wings and decorated in whatever style the business liked. These were in honor of the 100th Anniversary of the Wright Brothers first flight. One restaurant had their horse done up in red, white and blue with a crown on his head and entitled " Charlie Horse"....in honor of Prince Charles....you could pick whether he was the horses neck or horses a..! Weather was cooler but sunny on the Outerbanks.

Of course, our main purpose was Raleigh and DS and family. We hadn't seen them in a year and Nick, who will be 7 in Aug. has really grown. He will be in 2nd grade next year and is reading up a storm. Mom had got him a number of books from the library for their vacation this week and he had read them all a week early. Cataline is now 16 months old and is a charmer. Never stops moving. Her speach is not understandable, by me, but she is always 'saying' something. If you ask her something and it is what she wants to do she says "Alright!" Son and DIL are doing just great. Kathy is still teaching aerobics and has started with a class for older folks (like us?) which is going over very well. Cat goes to class and the older folks have fallen in love with her. Jackie has his office at home (in a room off the garage) and does quite a bit of traveling for business and seems to like the new job.

On the way home we stopped at Annapolis, MD. Saw quite a bit of the Naval Acadamy and the city of Annapolis is beautiful. It was impressive to see the mess hall....almost two football fields large. Each table was set and had every imaginable condiment lined up at ever 6th place. WoW! I understand the midshipmen get a free education, meals, clothing (including underwear), room & board and even a stipend. Now, that 's an education. Stopped in Mohegan Sun in Ct. just before home and had a great time and didn't loose too much money. Wen't over budget by about $10. so I won't complain.

Now back to the same grind. I have finally finished the laundry and ironing but have lots of other chores to keep me busy. This afternoon is eldest GS's high school graduation and we will go if it doesn't rain. There are only 4 tickets if it is held indoors!

Haven't had time to read all the posts but a big HI to Jean, Maggie, Bubs, and Faye.

Gloria in MA.....getting back to normal.
Old 06-07-2003, 11:10 AM   #4  

Faye,

Not only are you a brat, but you have a very long memory! All I could remember about Ruth Buzzi was her god awful hairnet, but then went back to read my last entry and realized what you were talking about. Today I'm trying a pair of regular support pantyhose over the thigh highs to see if that helps........if the doc tells me next week that I have to continue with this for another two or three weeks, it may get ugly in the office

We're anxiously awaiting the arrival of our new critter, Annie. Mike just went to wally world to get a mat for her crate and a collar for her. Fatherhood will be a rude awakening for him! He may take her back Monday if the rain keeps up

Falling in raw sewage.........talk about not a pretty picture!!!! Poor guy! There's the old adage about folks who fall in a pile of it and come out smelling like a rose, but he overdid it! Bet he's more careful around it in the future!

Have a good one,
Bubs
Old 06-07-2003, 01:38 PM   #5  

Bubs: I know, like I am always telling my husband when he is bad, "Your mama didn't whip you enough." Guess that must be where my orneriness comes from. The way they have to repair equipment that is out in this "lagoon" as they call it (there are 4 lagoons at one plant and 4 at the other), is they have a flat bottomed boat and a cable that runs overhead, across the top of the lagoon. They have to literally pull themselves by this cable out to where the equipment is to repair it. I guess when Jack and the other guy were coming back, Jack stepped out of the boat and onto the bank and the bank was slippery so back into the gunk he went.

Maggie: Sounds like you had a great time. Did they tell you there are only two ways to get into the academy, a parent who was in the Navy and I believe they may have had to have retired I am not sure or congressional appointment. Unless it has changed, a midshipmen is obligated to 6 years of service once he gets out of the academy. I am sure you enjoyed the Thunderbirds. I of course, am partial to the Blue Angels for obvious reasons!

My pool workout was pretty chilly this morning. We have had cooler temps and some rain and it was kind of breezy at 9 am. I got my 45 minutes in though. It is not a chore to me, I really enjoy it.

Well, need to get the laundry finished and the Cubs game is on and I want to watch at least part of it.

Faye
Old 06-07-2003, 02:15 PM   #6  
Web Nana

Hi Faye, Just a short reply. Yes, I did know the requirements of the Academy. As DH is retired from the Air Force, I am partial to the Thunderbirds. I just love to see what those pilots can do with a bunch of metal and wings!

It has started to rain, again, and I just heard that graduation has been moved inside. We will visit DGS later and congratulate him. With only 4 tickets it is hard to say who goes and who doesn't.

I often wish we had a pool but with the cool weather we have been having I guess it is just as well we don't. All that work to keep it up and such a short season. Have fun in yours.

Gloria in MA....taking a short break.
Old 06-07-2003, 02:41 PM   #7  
Thin Within

Default Saturday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

Another lovely day in the neighborhood. It is 76 as I type and expected to get to 92 this day. Will is out working on a saddle and I am going to cut some glass in a bit.

JEAN sorry that your WW leader is a DUD. Did I read that right that there are only 2 to 3 members at your meeting ~ or is that all that stay for the meeting after weigh in. No, I don't want to sell my glass on the internet. I can sell as much of it that I can make here locally and I don't want it to turn into a JOB.

FAYE your poor husband. YIKES ~ yuck - ick. That has got to be the worst place to fall into there is! Or maybe the La Brea tar pits where you may never come out but ~ .... I hope he tests out clean when he goes back to the doc. Do you ever get used to that smell?

BUBBLES you know I also thought of Ruth Buzzi when I was reading your episode of fallen socks... around the ankles were her's. A new puppy ~ what fun.

GLORIA Welcome back! I am so glad for you that it was cooler this trip then in the past. Made it much more enjoyable I am sure. I too like the Thunderbirds and also the Blue Angels! My father was one of the men that was chosen by the government many years ago to go set up a Naval Air station on the coast and they set up Point Mugu which is still there and isn't one of the ones that got shut down. So every time there was an air show we were there watching the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds and lots more stuff too.

Have a good day folks. Be OP and keep your FOCUS
Old 06-07-2003, 11:37 PM   #8  

Angry

Good Evening!
We were up and gone by 7:30 this morning so it has been a long day! Jason and DH got the boat hoist put together and in the water; water was too cold to stay in for long so have to go back and take the wheels off on Wed. They also need a jack to help finish the project; I wish they would have let the professionals put it in! Anyhow, MIL got to meet our perfect grandson for the first time and he was at his most charming best.

"Gma" -- What an awful thing to have happen to your DH! I hope that all checks out ok when he has to go back to the doctor. I can almost smell "that" clear out here! Poor guy!

Gloria -- Welcome back! We missed you! I'm glad you had such a nice trip and know that seeing your family was the best part. If your GS's graduation is like most, you probably enjoyed seeing him later just as much if not more.

Maggie -- I will trade temperatures with you . . . it is 54 degrees here tonight. We had calm, wind, sun, cloudy, and pouring rain at various times today. Whenever we go to the lake we take plenty of clothes because you never know what the weather is going to do. I meant that only 2 or 3 people stay for the WW meetings. After Christmas there is a BIG rush of people who join for a few weeks -- enough so that there is always 25 - 30 people waiting to weigh in and usually around 30 - 40 will stay for the meetings. This time of year it really slacks off. One faithful gal has lost well over 100 #s.......she was the WW leader way back in the 70s when WW was pushing the fish and liver program. She has been through a divorce, a kid on drugs, and diagnosed with Lupus over the years. What amazes me is that she is a caterer for groups as well as fixing meals each day for elderly people who live alone, all from her home.

It is time for bed! Hope you all have a relaxing Sunday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 06-08-2003, 05:23 PM   #9  
Thin Within

Arrow The Lord's Day

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Just got back from our Sunday lunch ~ I spend way too many points yesterday so am trading this HPD for yesterday's LPD. I did good at lunch for I had a dry salad and a turkey sandwich with no mayo. Not many points there to add to my 3 point bowl of morning cereal. I do believe I will make it through this day within what points I have allowed myself.

JEAN I do hope you get some nice days soon to enjoy that boat on the lake. What fun to pack a pic-nic and float about on the water. I don't imagine you do any swimming in that lake though. It will be hot enough and soon enough there and you will be wondering where those cool days have gone and looking for a nice breeze. Enjoy that cool while you have it. It is 87 as I type this now and climbine.

Everyone have a wonderful and safe afternoon.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:12 AM   #10  

Good Morning, Flowers!
It's a beautiful sunny day in my neighborhood! Thought I would check in with you while I wait for my hair to dry. I have my "to do" list ready for the day and hope to get a few things accomplished. The only "have to" is a dentist appointment at the end of the week, and getting ready for vacation.

Maggie -- I have never been a lake swimmer . . . only when I was trying to impress DH when we were dating! IBP has dumped so much sewage into our little lake, I wouldn't stick my big toe in it. Even though the "powers to be" say it is ok for swimming, not me nor anyone in my family! There is such a big difference between our lake and Okoboji as far as being clear and "clean" goes. It would be a perfect morning for a boat ride! Hope your points worked out over the weekend so that you weren't hungry! I am looking into a class and can't remember the name of it; "Mind, Spirit, Body, . . . Weight" I think it is called. One of the teachers at school took it and is hosting a class at her house this summer.

Have a marvelous Monday, Flowers! I am off to get the laundry going.

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 06-09-2003, 02:45 PM   #11  

Hey everybody!

As usual, I am slow on the uptake. I probably screwed up who I was talking to again and if I did, I apologize!

Gloria: My daughter's graduation in '95 was a nightmare. The school is so big they had the ceremonies at the JACC at Notre Dame. With her name starting with a W we were at the tail end and had to sit through the whole thing and the seats are itty bitty and very uncomfortable.

Maggie: How cool. I remember Point Magu even though we were never stationed there. Those pilots can do amazing things with those planes I will say that.

Well, I am back on the job hunting circuit. I applied for a law firm position that I would really really like to have, but we will have to wait and see. Living where I do, there is usually a gazillion women you have to compete with. I know that the other job I beat out 300 other women.

DH seems to be doing fine, no fever or anything. He does have a really sore arm from the shots though. He is going back to doctor in the morning. As for the smell, he changes his clothes before coming home, but the stuff lingers in his hair of all places. It is pretty yucky going out there sometimes. On top of that, the Fleischman's yeast company is on the way and believe me smelling that brewing yeast is as yucky at the waste water plant. It is this sweet beery smell. Nauseating.

Well, I am going to find something to do that is at least a little bit productive like reading a book out on the patio!

Faye
Old 06-09-2003, 04:52 PM   #12  
Thin Within

Arrow Monday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Just got back from a trip to the bank and the store at a town 25 miles down the mountain. Top down on the way but top on the way home. It is 85 now as I type. I got some small round french rolls to use for my meatball sandwiches I am going to make for tomorrow nights guests. They can have two or more if they want but one will do me fine. I am making a points friendly meal and they won't know the difference. I'll make coleslaw, jellow with fruit and ice cream and berries for dessert.

JEAN that is nice that your little lake is cleaner than ole green Okaboji. Didn't they dredge yours recently?

FAYE I wish you success on your job hunt. I used to work for a law firm when I was going to college and enjoyed it tremendously. Not boring work at all being a legal secretary.

Have a lovely afternoon ladies.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:49 PM   #13  
Web Nana

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

It has been a half and half day today. This morning was overcast and in the afternoon the Sun showed it's face. Never did really warm up though! DH says we will probable have a snow storm on the Fourth of July . Oh! I certaintly hope not.

JEAN Sounds like you are into the 'out of school' spirit...getting the boat into the water and preparing for vacation. Hope you get great weather when you go away. As for your dentist appointment, I hope it will be a breeze. While we were in SC I broke a tooth. It was the one that I had the filling replaced before we left. No pain, but lot of tooth is missing. When we went to the Naval Academy DH got me in to see the Naval Dentist. A very nice, young woman Lieutenant saw me and said the I had a bonding material covering the nerve area and I should have no pain and not to chew on that side. We were not going to be in the area long enough for her to do anything and then she said she thought I might need a root canal, post and crown as there was not much tooth left. I have an appointment on Thursday, here, and I will see what my dentist says. However, I really can't see spending all that money on the root canal etc. It's not a visible tooth and if she can't just repair it I may have it pulled. Ugh, but.....

MAGGIE I see you are back on the right track again. I knew you would be. I love it when I can plan a dinner party and know one knows that they are eating light. I always provide enough seconds for those with hearty appetites.
FAYE Oh, your poor husband. That's not a pleasant swim. I hope everything works out for him. Good luck with the job hunt. I guess I am lucky to be old enough not to have to do that anymore. Retired 5 years ago and loving it.

Gloria in MA....think I will join Faye in reading a good book even if I can't do it on the deck. Have a good evening everyone!!!!
Old 06-09-2003, 09:59 PM   #14  

Hi Girls,
I feel sure we're ready for a new thread, but you don't want this chickadee to do it, trust me!

Annie has worn us all out Went to the vet this AM, and he loves her. Knows her parents and says in terms of obedience the sky's the limit with her. He does have us crating her 24/7 for a month, so that when she feels grass under her feet she'll know what it's for. Jimmy has been elevated to "the Sainted Beagle". He has romped with her all day, and is so patient with her shenanigans. We've walked her three times on the lead, along with him, and she just trots right along with us. In another month, she'll be leaving him in her dust if she grows into her legs and feet!

DS is getting a real taste of parenthood.........up at 5AM to let her out.........he hasn't been up that early since he was in the Army!

I'm beat too, so it's off to bed for TSB(the Sainted Beagle) and me.

Happy Tuesday one and all. It was a glorious sunny day today Finally!

Later,
Bubs
Old 06-10-2003, 01:10 AM   #15  

Good Evening!
The thunderstorms just rolled through for the second time this evening . . . there are tornado warnings out for west of us until midnight. Guess I will wait and check the TV to see if they are "off" before I head off to bed. There was also some hail but all we got was pouring rain and the noise.

"Gma" -- Good luck with your job hunt! There sure aren't many job openings in our area; Jason is still looking without finding anything that is even remotely interesting to him. I hope your DH continues to feel OK and gets a clean bill of health at his checkup. How did he end up in the gunk anyway? We have two packing plants here and, believe me, they don't smell like roses! Some days are worse than others and could actually make a person sick. My school is fairly close to them and there are lots of days that we keep the windows shut tight.

Maggie -- East and West Okoboji are known as the blue water lakes; I never thought they looked blue but I guess from the sky, they do. The water is clear at the end of the dock and you can see the little fish swimming. When we take the boat out, the wash is white instead of pea green like Storm Lake. Yes, they did dredge part of SL last summer. They dug into a couple of farm fields and filled the holes with the silt. A deer and her fawn got stuck, up to their necks, last week and the DNR had to rescue them -- used big sheets of plywood to walk on. There are warnings signs not to walk on the stuff. (Because it is like quick sand for anything that is heavy.) Guess the deer couldn't read! When the men got them out and took the ropes off, both mother and baby took off without even saying "thanks" according to the newspaper article. With the packing plants occasionally dumping into SL, it is anything but clear and clean!

Gloria -- Good luck with your tooth! I've been there and done that several times. I have a horror of having a tooth pulled and I don't know why. I had my wisdom teeth out but was "out" and had all four done at once. I was lucky and didn't have any trouble at all.

Bubbles -- I had to laugh at your reference to TSB! If any casual reader would read about Jimmy and Annie, they would think you are talking about people! I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to house break a dog . . . that's what nice about a cat . . . they just seem to know.

Well, it's after midnight so I am going to check the storm warnings and head for bed. Have a terrific Tuesday, Flowers!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Closed Thread