Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #1  

Default Rubber face!

i finally figured it out! What i'm dealing with is "rubber face" instead of gaunt face, LOL.

I've posted a few times about the dismay about how my face has reacted to the weight loss, the "smile lines" around the mouth are of course more obvious but that doesn't really bother me, it's the loose skin around them that does. No one would ever know that was loose skin except those who've lost a lot of weight and know the terminology but to me it kind of looks like the very lower half of my face, especially when i'm looking downward, looks...well...kind of rubbery in that area. I am hoping now that i'm in maintenance that at SOME point it'll tighten up? Or maybe i just need to steel myself and get used to it?

You can kind of see the "fold" on the side in this pic, and it's more obvious on a full on view with me looking down at my toes. Just wondering if anyone else deals with this or can identify with what i'm saying.

Before (about 15 lbs over what i weigh now)

Now
3fcuser291505109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

Well, hmmmmm, I do see what you're talking about, but I have to say that you look really great. I bet that there will be some more tightening, since it seems like your face really changed just in the last 15 pounds. But, yk, even if it doesn't you look gorgeous. I swear!

ETA: In your earlier pic, you look kind of fresh faced, almost baby faced. But in the current one, more dramatic and sophisticated.

Last edited by rubidoux; 04-08-2013 at 07:46 PM.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #3  
Becoming A Better Me

I agree u dont look bad at all but "Olay total effects 7n1" nightly moisturizeris awesome!! Its a bit pricey but it goes a long way and well worth it!
dangerouscurvesahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 169/ticker/140

Height: 5.4

Omg! You are simply beautiful.......you look like an actress (cannot remember the name, she stared on the Ring)......!! Wish i looked like you!

PS: GOT IT....Naomi Watts!

Last edited by Ellemphriem; 04-08-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Ellemphriem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Has anyone ever told you that you look like Amanda Seyfried? (In other words, you look great.) Stop worrying about real or imaginary lines and enjoy your new look! You deserve it.

Freelance
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #6  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

What they all said!
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerouscurvesahead View Post
I agree u dont look bad at all but "Olay total effects 7n1" nightly moisturizeris awesome!! Its a bit pricey but it goes a long way and well worth it!

i'm a skin care junkie and i have pretty darned good skin for almost 51 but i'm wondering if Olay has a tightening effect?

Thanks for the recommendation! Much appreciated!
Old 04-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
Has anyone ever told you that you look like Amanda Seyfried? (In other words, you look great.) Stop worrying about real or imaginary lines and enjoy your new look! You deserve it.

Freelance
Thank you, Freelance (and everyone giving these very nice compliments)

This truly TRULY wasn't a pity post but i just am really truly wondering if anyone else is dealing with this and if their facial skin/structure tightened up over time because i think it's loose folds i'm dealing with and it's not my imagination as my elderly neighbor kind of set things in motion when she told me don't loose too much weight then your face will start looking really bad and low and behold it really did change and it does look rubbery or weird when i look down or catch myself in the mirror.

It may be something i will just have to accept and just let it go but i finally figured out what to call it because it really isn't gaunt face but rubbery!
Old 04-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

If I looked like you at 51, I'd be in heaven! Heck, you look younger than me...and I am 30!
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 217/ticker/115

Height: 5'0"

You look fabulous. But...I can totally relate. I've lost 100 pounds and have been maintaining for nearly a year. I've been dealing with the same rubber face droop that you're describing. It has improved somewhat over time but not 100%. I think a lot of it is that my cheek bones are more prominent (for the first time in my life) and my weight loss has really changed the shape of my face...and I think most of the undesirable dramatic changes are inside my head to be really honest.

You look truly amazing. I can only dream of looking that good at your age. Congratulations on your success!
dogdaysofdiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:52 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdaysofdiets View Post
You look fabulous. But...I can totally relate. I've lost 100 pounds and have been maintaining for nearly a year. I've been dealing with the same rubber face droop that you're describing. It has improved somewhat over time but not 100%. I think a lot of it is that my cheek bones are more prominent (for the first time in my life) and my weight loss has really changed the shape of my face...and I think most of the undesirable dramatic changes are inside my head to be really honest.

You look truly amazing. I can only dream of looking that good at your age. Congratulations on your success!

Thank you SO much for weighing in, yes that's exactly it and my only hope is that my body fat will readjust if there is such a thing and it will improve, sounds like there is room for improvement.

I've lost 100 lbs also and i was surprised at HOW my body did it, like stripping just about every ounce of fat from my skull and keeping most of it on my tummy which i was really excited about losing! Oh well, i will keep on TRYING to not focus on it, it isn't easy though as it really doesn't look "normal" to me.

Hugs to you
Old 04-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #12  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Default re:

I'm 42, and I've got what you're describing too and it also makes me self conscious, although I'm sure no one really notices it.

My husband who also lost over 100 lbs had the same thing. He lost his about 2 years ago and his face has tightened up mostly.

I think we just need to give it some time to see where we end up. Like you said, I'm sure the only people who would give it thought are those who have lost weight.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #13  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

How long have you been maintaining your current weight? Often times people's faces will "normalize" after a while.

When you're losing weight the body takes the fat from wherever it can and since there is a lot of blood flow through the head most people's faces will be one of the first places to be affected as fat cells are emptied.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #14  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Default re:

BTW, I'd still pick thin face over my old chubby face, even though lines were non existent on it.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
How long have you been maintaining your current weight? Often times people's faces will "normalize" after a while.

When you're losing weight the body takes the fat from wherever it can and since there is a lot of blood flow through the head most people's faces will be one of the first places to be affected as fat cells are emptied.
Hi John

Well...i've lost the last 12 lbs gradually over probably after November to about idk, February? (i JUST got a scale) so i was probably at 172 for some of the Summer and late Fall to Winter and then went and got my neighbors scale (where i found out i weighed 172) and i weighed in at 160 so gee, idk. Not long but i was at 172 for quite a while so i really don't know how to answer that question except wow the last 12 lbs really manifested itself especially in my "rubber" face because people WERE commenting.

Hopefully things will soften up and redistribute or i will just have to learn to deal with the blow to my vanity